No announcement yet.

Need advice on pickups.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Chef, I'll take your suggestion into consideration, I've heard others really brag on the Bill Lawerence pickups as well. I'm really leaning towards the passives. When I listen to EMG's, it's not like I hate them, but that isn't the sound I've got in my head. Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll keep you posted, still no opinions on the push/pull pots to split the two humbuckers?

Comment

where you at

Originally posted by texasfury View Post
      kelly, where you at? I work at KGBT.

are you serious CHANNEL 5 is you TIM get the weather right LOL
      i live more this way towards Mc Allen
      "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Try some Dimarzio X2Ns or a Dimarzio Megadrive. You won't find anything about the Megadrive on their site or anything but lets just say it has more Overdrive than the X2N. Its a custom shop model and it kicks serious ass.

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 09-23-2008, 06:46 PM.
          Just a guitar player...

Comment

As far as splitting the buckers goes, you will have a drop in volume and you lose the hum cancelling effect, but it does open up a world of new sound combinations if that's what you're after.

Comment

There are lots of boutique pickup builders out there try them.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Thanks Fetus, I got that same oppinion from my cousin, who's pretty knowledgable, he said he'd done it before,didn't like it, so basically just grabbed his strat when he wanted those glassy cleans. He then asked what was wrong with my strat, I said nothing, I got his point, hard to have a guitar that does it all and that's not what I need, so I think I'll stick with the traditional wiring scematic. I'm really leaning towards the Seymour Duncans, Sh-2 in the neck and either a sh-11 or sh-5 in the bridge. I kinda dig the spongy bottom of the sh-11 but I'm afraid it will turn really muddy at higher gain settings.

Comment

If you want a humbucker that splits well to do cleans very close to a single coil sound, you'll need something with very high output. The higher the output of a humbucker, the better single coil sound it'll give when split. An X2N works very well for that.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    If you want a humbucker that splits well to do cleans very close to a single coil sound, you'll need something with very high output. The higher the output of a humbucker, the better single coil sound it'll give when split. An X2N works very well for that.
                    yeah the tone zone or the X2N is great split and for me the tone zone has the better overall tone
                    i am addicted to its massive drive and burn
                    i never heard a pup that burns as hard
                    when you pick a note it gets bigger after the pick attack and chord are massive and ballsy and still have unbelievable definition
                    a lot of guys say the tone zone is muddy as all hell but in my alder jackson it is perfectly clear and loud.
                    with a guitar that has a OFR and a brighter wood body like maple or alder the tone zone is perfect
                    it puts back the low end the trem bleeds and tames the aggressive upper mids of alder or the extra brightness of hard rock maple
                    If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Working...
                    X