Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone else prefer dimarzios over duncans in thier jacksons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have read some reviews on the X2N, and seems like a holy grail for me. Are they still available new?

Comment

Originally posted by skull View Post
      Im looking to buy some now pickups, but i really want the brightest sounding pickupis with lotsa gain + they must be passive. Im open to all possibilities.

Tnx!
      I find the JB plenty bright in most guitars,plenty of gain, but a little harsh in some applications.
      METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Originally posted by Flatpicker View Post
        Buckers or Singles?
        What body wood are you installing them in?

buckers and alder body

Comment

Originally posted by skull View Post
          I have read some reviews on the X2N, and seems like a holy grail for me. Are they still available new?
          Yep. Any pickup DiMarzio's ever made is still available. Even if it's not shown on their website, they'll still make it. Though, the X2N is still on their site, and they just came out with a 7-string version as well. http://www.dimarzio.com/
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I myself love the EMG-81;-85 pick-ups and the Duncan`s SH-2;-4 aren`t so bad actually they are quiet good...
            I like the sound of them over a marshall...
            They sounded really great ...
            They were on a JAckson Randy Rhoads 2005 RX10D model...
            Can`t wait `till I finally get my Jackson Randy Rhoads Pro RR3 ..
            Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Breed and X2N.
              Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I prefer the Super 3 myself.
                But I still have a Duncan Custom Custom in my mutt... sounds better with the basswood body.
                -Rick

Comment

Anyone ever try a Super 2 (neck) and Super 3 (bridge) combo. I love the Super 3, but never found a suitable neck bucker to complement the bridge. Tried the PAF and PAF Pro but the sounds were a bit too different than the Super 3 and volume drop was an issue, yes even with pickup height adjusted accordingly.

Comment

Dimarzio all the way, I use the Super 3, Breed, Tonezone, Pafpro, HS3 and YJM. I have heard that the super 2 is a very bright pickup that would be good for the neck. Jerry Garcia used them and he had a bright tone.
                    Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

I like my Duncan Distortions I am using now in some of my guitars, but I always seem to go back to the Dimarzio Super Distortion. That was the first replacement pickup I bought way back in the late 70's. BTW I'm still using it and it still sounds great to this day. I have it, along with a 70's Dimarzio PAF (both cream) in a Les Paul and they still sound great.

I have tried Duncan Distortions, JB's etc in a mahogony body Gibson Les Paul I have and I never really got the sound I was after. I replaced the bridge p/u with a Dimarzio SD and kept the Duncan Jazz neck p/u and am the happiest I have ever been with the sound now. Dimarzios, to me, always seem to be "fuller" sounding than Duncans. This is based on my comparisons of both company's distortion models.
                      Guitars:
                      Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                      1988 Model 2,
                      Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                      RR3
                      Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                      1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                      2005 SG Special

Comment

My '93 Jackson Dinky Reverse/XL is loaded with DiMarzio Evolutions in the neck and bridge positions. They seem to have a life all their own..One day they will sound blazing a couple of days later they just lose their oomph..I love those pickups though..

I have a Dinky XL that has a Duncan Screamin Demon in the bridge position..it's a pretty decent pickup [When I play the opening riff to Mr. Scary..it kinda has that sound]..I have an old X2N laying around so I may toss that in the XL..

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson-Charvel View Post
                          Anyone ever try a Super 2 (neck) and Super 3 (bridge) combo. I love the Super 3, but never found a suitable neck bucker to complement the bridge. Tried the PAF and PAF Pro but the sounds were a bit too different than the Super 3 and volume drop was an issue, yes even with pickup height adjusted accordingly.
                          I've never tried a Super 3, but I really love the Super 2 in the neck... it matches up great with an X2N or regular Super Distortion, so I'm sure you'll be fine paired up with the Super 3.
                          It is bright, but I tend to like brighter neck pups anyway. I believe Gary (VitaminG) has a Super 2 in the bridge of one of his guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            Yep. Any pickup DiMarzio's ever made is still available. Even if it's not shown on their website, they'll still make it. Though, the X2N is still on their site, and they just came out with a 7-string version as well. http://www.dimarzio.com/
                            great. how much does it cost? does it have "neck" brother (same design, neck location (like emg 81 and 85))

Comment

No, it's just one version that you can use in the bridge or the neck. You can use both together, but I'd keep the one in the neck a little bit lower so it's not too overpowering. If you order directly from DiMarzio, you'll pay the $109 list price. If you buy it from a dealer, you'll pay less. Universaljems.com has them for $66.50.

And as for the EMGs, even though a lot of people use the 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck, you can use them in any position you want. I actually prefer the 85 in the bridge with either an 81 or 60 in the neck.

Comment

tnx toejam. let`s compare prices. in my coutry one emg 81 costs a little less than 100EUR, it would be something like 120$. how about there?

Comment

Working...
                                X