sl1 vs sl3...usa vs japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sl1 vs sl3...usa vs japan

Hi I'm Emmy from Italy, i need help because i'm going to buy a Jackson... but i need to know what are the differences between Japan models and U.S.A. made models for example woods, materials, projects, hardware.
    what's your opinion about the theory that the SL1 and and SL3 are the same?

I'm sorry for my bad english!! Thank you to all for your help!!
    Emmy

ciaooooo

They are not the same!!!!

SL3
    MIJ
    Rosewood Board
    MOTO Inlays

SL1
    USA
    Ebony Board
    MOP Inlays
    Bound Fingerboard and Headstock

Comment

the wood of the body,for example the mapple, are the same in sl1 and sl3...or the quality of wood is different??

Comment

The neck is different... quartersawn maple for the SL1 so that is an upgrade over the SL3 hard rock maple neck. As for the Alder wings I'm not sure if there is a quality difference or not. But it wouldn't surprise me if there is.

Comment

My SL3 played and sounded just as nice as my SL1

Comment

Imports are always nice, especially from Jackson. It's all about preference. The Japanese plant is not as detailed as the USA shop. They probably don't pick the best pieces of wood, nor are they as meticulous about wiring, fit and finish, and so forth (or so I would think). Binding, ebony, MOP inlays and logo, better hardware and electronics, more attention to detail, and the USA market all need to be taken into consideration when bying a USA made guitar. If you take care of your guitars, imports can be great players. In essence, a guitar is nothing more than the sum of its parts, and inferior parts can always be changed. Of course, there's always mojo, which you have to consider when buying a guitar. Ultimately, unless you're buying a cheap Hondo or First Act, most any guitar (import or USA) can be a nice guitar.
            My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Originally posted by thetruthguy
              The Japanese plant is not as detailed as the USA shop. They probably don't pick the best pieces of wood, nor are they as meticulous about wiring, fit and finish, and so forth (or so I would think).
              Here's some food for thought, by our very own jackson1 on his site.

I have 1 USA and 3 MIJ Jacksons, and I would say that the quality and playability of my MIJ's are at least as good as those of my USA.
              Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

Big difference in the early 90's pro series and todays

Comment

Originally posted by slash View Post
                  Big difference in the early 90's pro series and todays
                  AGREED!

Me personally? I would try to find an old, nice Model 6 before I dumped my money on an SL3.
                  Scott
                  Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
                    Me personally? I would try to find an old, nice Model 6 before I dumped my money on an SL3.
                    Yeah, but you'd just dump like $800 into it for new paint! :ROTF:
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

i have a ASB SL3 in my store right now, and it smokes....

is it as good as my SL1s, no. But does it destroy the Schecter C1 HR FR? yeah...it does, and those are bound bodies, headstocks, and boards.

so for the bang for the buck, the SL3 is great
                      Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

I love mY Japanese Jackson/Charvels but the hardware is a bit differant too. The SL1 has an original Floyd Rose and the SL3 has a Jackson LP580LP which is still a good trem but not quite as good as a real floyd. So if ya gotta have a real FR go for the SL1 if it doesnt matter then the SL3 is a great guitar for the money especailly used.
                        Gil

Comment

I have a Sl3 and an SL2H. My SL3 still gets played the same if not a little more than my USA model. Both guitars are great and play well.
                          I would recommend getting the US models as they do look and feel great and you'll have a top notch high grade axe. The import models are great guitars too but you'll probably feel like you want to upgrade to a USA in a few years anyway.

Comment

The only thing that kept me from buying an SL4 a few years back was the MOTO inlays and lack of binding. The rosewood fretboard doesn't bother me depending on the finish (violin brown), but the plastic inlays ruin it for me. All of the imports I've tried have played just fine. I won't go near a JT500 trem, but have never had an issue with the JT580LP...and I've owned many of them.

I did things a bit backwards, getting a high-end Soloist Pro and a "budget model" USA SL2 (JT580LP trem, Armstrong pickups, no inlays), and the quality on both is excellent. My personal preference would be for an import Soloist that is a bit closer to the SLSMG, with the small inlays or none at all, binding, and ebony.
                            sigpic

Comment

I'll weigh in and say that I've never played an SL3 that was within shouting distance of the USA Soloists I've owned/played. The overall quality of the neckthru Japanese guitars has gone down since the late '80s/early '90s heyday. All in my opinion, of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X