Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice on fixing up an old import... (pic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on fixing up an old import... (pic)

I hope I'm posting this in the right area. I have somewhat of a mutant Jackson that I really like the style of, but it really needs an overhaul. I'll start with a picture of this little beast:

So, I bought this from a desperate buddy for $150 a couple of years ago. Since then, it has suffered much neglect. Recently, the 'V' style has started to grow on me, so I finally pulled it out of the closet.

The first thing I want to do is replace the neck. I suppose this is where I need the most advice. I would really like to have a neck similar to that of my DKMG with the piranha inlays, but more importantly, I just want something with 24 frets and a slim profile. Is there anything that I should know about replacing a neck that can't be adjusted after it's installed? Should I leave it up to someone who really knows what they're doing, or is it pretty fool-proof?

The next step will be to replace the neck pickup with an EMG-HZ. I'll leave the Seymour Duncan down where it belongs. Any thoughts on this combination of pups? I suppose if I don't like it, I can always change it.

Also, I don't know the general consensus of the quality of the Schaller FRII, but it seems smooth in all aspects of operation, so I think I'll hang on to it until I experience otherwise. Any comments on that are also welcome, especially from those who have experience with the same trem.

Lastly, this thing is dying for a deeper gloss finish. How is this usually achieved? I guess a better question would be what kind of spray is typically used for a clear coat? It looks kind of "rough" as it is, but I think it would clean up well. I really like the color, too. It was previously finished with a combination of coffee grounds and motor oil.

If you have read this far into the post, I really appreciate it. Please offer me any insight, criticism, or advice you may have. I have never done this before, so I'm a bit lost on a couple of things
    "my aim is precise, armed with my own failures"

If you put a 24 fret neck on that body you will not be able to intonate the guitar.To use a 24 fret neck you will have to do some routing of the neck pocket and moving the neck pickup route back.You could wet sand and buff maybe it might gloss up a bit.I kind of like it that way maybe ditch the pickguard.
    Last edited by straycat; 11-14-2006, 06:14 PM.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Here's an idea of what would be required to go from 22 to 24, thanks to our friend Mark (mm2002).

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...ighlight=bondo
      |My CSG gallery|
      (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

THANK YOU! This is exactly the information I am looking for. This forum is golden. Looking forward to hearing more!

Comment

Or you can modify a 24 fret neck to fit like I do! One of which can be seen here: http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61548

If you need some more info or dont think you can take on the task yourself, let me know I might be able to help you out!
          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 09-25-2008, 01:23 AM.
            Just a guitar player...

Comment

Originally posted by texasfury View Post
              How horrible of a neck pickup do you have right now that adding an EMG-HZ would actually be considered an upgrade?
              LOL, that's what I was thinking.
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

How horrible of a neck pickup do you have right now that adding an EMG-HZ would actually be considered an upgrade?
                +1

Comment

A very horrible one.

EDIT: I just realized how "poor sport" my initial response actually sounded. Seriously, the existing pickup just sounds so... dead. I just want something a little hotter. And actually, my main reason for using the HZ is simply because I have one lying around after being replaced with a D'Marzio. An entirely new pickup isn't exactly out of the question. I'm just trying to be budget-minded with this project. After all, this guitar isn't exactly what I consider a diamond in the rough.
                  Last edited by underrealm; 11-15-2006, 12:26 PM.

Comment

very cool geetar
                    äss howl

Comment

I think it looks cool in a rat rod sort of way.Very simple yet very dangerous.Killer pickups and a quality electronics package and play the shit out of it.Who cares what it looks like.The looks on peoples faces is priceless when you open the dingy pee covered case pull out a pice of shit looking guitar and you have the biggest tone monster in the place.All the poser pack up and go home and you get the chicks.

Comment

Holy fuck, I just had a major laugh thanks to straycat! I appreciate the compliment on this indeed "piece of shit looking guitar"! :ROTF:

I dropped it off with my tech for the pickup exchange. The HZ will have to do for now, along with the SD of course. He's going to totally refresh the electronics, so I think I'll be set for a while.

I'm going to hold off on the neck replacement for a while. Hell, that one may even grown on me. There's just something about it that lacks a 'quality' feel to me.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's input.

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 09-25-2008, 01:22 AM.
                          Just a guitar player...

Comment

I should have told you get an rsguitarworks pot upgrade kit like I usualy tell everybody.Hell sand the back of the neck and tru-oil(gunstock oil)it.After some playing time it will get silky smooth and get darker in color and look like you have played it for 20 years.Thats a good thing.
                            Last edited by straycat; 11-16-2006, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                              I should have told you get an rsguitarworks pot upgrade kit like I usualy tell everybody.Hell sand the back of the neck and tru-oil(gunstock oil)it.After some playing time it will get silky smooth and get darker in color and look like you have played it for 20 years.Thats a good thing.
                              RS will have to start paying you for an endorsement soon.
                              Scott
                              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X