About to buy my first Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to buy my first Jackson

Hey - this is my first post ever - I joined this forum because I'm planning on investing in a shiny new Jackson. I currently own an american made fat strat texas special - two texas special single coils and a Seymore Duncan pearly gates humbucker in the bridge position. I love it, but I'm starting to play more metal and want something a little meaner. I don't necessarily need a nice clean tone - I've got my strat for that - I just want something thats gonna kill with heavy distortion. I'll probably be playing some metal a la Unearth (If I can get fast enough) - any suggestions for a first purchase?
    ColinMmmmm

How much money can you spend? I would recommend a DKMG as they come with EMG 81/85s, 24 frets, and a Floyd Rose, which is perfect for metal. A RR3 Rhoads would be good too, though I recommend having EMG 81/85s put on for metal. I would recommend the DKMG though as its hard to beat the features on it for the price.

Comment

whats your price range, do you want a floyded guitar woods necks colors, do you play rythm or lead.......... im guessing you want an import because you posted in here so you want to check out a KE-3 KELLY or a Kevin Bonds rhoads man those things ROAR. Their the anti opposite of clean, one of the dirtest guitars out there.
      "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

these days I'm using much more my dk2m than my made in usa Jacksons. I'm totally in love with the fretboard. It feels and plays great. So my suggestion goes to dk2m, but also the dkmg would be a nice choice. It depends if you want duncans or emg.

Comment

Well I'm thinking I've got a max of about $1500 CDN - could get me a pretty sweet axe. I was thinking SLSMG - I'm not sure how often I'd use a Floyd and I like being able to change tunings - hence the hard tail. I do lik ethe maple board on the DK though. And how comfortable is the RR? I'll practice a lot sitting down . . .

Oh and leads the way to go . . .
          ColinMmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
            How much money can you spend? I would recommend a DKMG as they come with EMG 81/85s, 24 frets, and a Floyd Rose, which is perfect for metal. A RR3 Rhoads would be good too, though I recommend having EMG 81/85s put on for metal. I would recommend the DKMG though as its hard to beat the features on it for the price.
            +1

great guitars for the money!!
            USA Doublerhoads Custom Shop
            USA King V Custom Shop X Series

Comment

+1 on the hard tail idea. Totallly go for the soloist actually if you have the cash on hand go to ubid.com AND they have slsmg and there like $484. Their a steal go get it like NOW.
              "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

I just looked those up - not bad but doesn't the new SLSMG have the active EMG81/85 set? I hear most people who bought those older SLSMG's replaced the pickups anyway. I'm also thinking of maybe the Christian Olde Wolbers signature dinky - ebony board, EMG 81 and carved top - looks nice. Any opinions?
                ColinMmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by ColinMmmmm View Post
                  I just looked those up - not bad but doesn't the new SLSMG have the active EMG81/85 set? I hear most people who bought those older SLSMG's replaced the pickups anyway. I'm also thinking of maybe the Christian Olde Wolbers signature dinky - ebony board, EMG 81 and carved top - looks nice. Any opinions?
                  They're really neat looking. I saw one at a dealer (that I was there for Parker actuall) and thought it was cool.

Comment

that's alot of money. i'd suggest getting a cheap japanese import (eg x-series) and use the remaining money to modify it.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCw4Es1ARzY
                    http://www.soundclick.com/milkmen

Comment

Buy a second hand soloist.That's it.
                      I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

yea you could go second hand soloist, i think you might be able to pick up a usa model

Comment

Yeah I'd love a USA soloist - maybe I'll just save up and buy a new one in a month or two - I'm having trouble finding them used - and that way I'll get to pick the colour . . .
                          ColinMmmmm

Comment

I used to own an import Jackson. I sold it because my Fender Stratocaster was better on all points. Better tone, sustain, paintjob, was easyer to play and seemed a lot more expensive even though it was not.

The jackson felt cheap whe compared to my good old stratocaster who was even Mexican made! I will never buy a guitar who looks like it's made for metal again.

If you want a Jackson, save money fore a USA made, because you are allready used to the qualety of a good fender.
                            Last edited by nidhogg; 12-03-2006, 08:40 AM.

Comment

I'll definitely keep that in mind - and my strat is definitely sweet. I'll play a few Jacksons over the next couple of weeks, but I do think I'd have trouble shelling out more than a grand for a guitar that didn't feel as sweet as the one I already have. I do like the idea of the flatter fretboard though - the strat is pretty rounded - good for blues and stuff. I'd love to get a USA soloist . . . they just look amazing, and I bet the quality is worth the extra dough.
                              ColinMmmmm

Comment

Working...
                              X