Import SL2H (Sam Ash)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Madness View Post
    Funny you mention that, I put a DK2 neck on my DKMG and thought it looked awesome. I eventually swapped it back because the original neck just felt better on this particular guitar.

Awsome!! Jack.

Comment

That does look sweet.

Comment

Thanks guy's.

Comment

Okay, so I woke up this morning, made my coffee and just sat down to catch some news and I hear a knock at the door.............................................I t was Mr. Fed Ex and guess what he brought me.....

Well, first off I want to thank RobRR for hooking me up with the number and location of the SA where he saw this one. I had called their online store and was told that they only get 1 or 2 every 3 months... So I decided to call and see If the SA near RobRR would ship the one they had to me here in VT. The guy that I dealt with over the phone was great and made this transaction one of the easiest and most pleasurable ones I've ever had.

I'll start off by saying that this guitar is LIGHT...one of the lightest I own. The body on it is thinner than the DKMG body and it has a more subtle arch to the top. Very comfortable and sleek. It also has the best balance of all of my Jacksons. As you can see the top is more of a blueburst, which I was fully expecting after seeing the pic that rob posted. Obviously, it looks nothing like the pic that is on SA's website...I like it alot better than just regular trans blue. The back is black just like my SL4, as I suspected....I only wish the flame top was a little nicer like my SL4, It could have a little more depth to it but, I'm not complaining, especially after playing it.

The neck on this thing is great! The back has more of a round shape than my other soloists down near the first few frets but, when you get to around the 6th fret or so it slowly gets thinner....then after the 12th, starts to thicken back up again. It feels VERY comfortable for me and it is not something I have never noticed on my other soloists. No problems at all getting up to the higher frets either. There are no fret buzzes, dead frets....nothin'. They did a very nice job with the fretwork on this thing, no complaints from me.

As far as sound goes, you can get kick ass harmonics from it......anywhere! I think that I'm going to swap out the p/u's for a Custom/Jazz combo though. Just a personnal preferance... I'm not a big fan of JB's,they sound kinda buzzy to me compared to the Custom. Overall, I would say this guitar is pretty dark sounding with good string definition. It sounds very much like my SL4 which, to me is a good thing.

The only things I would have like to have seen different on this guitar is obviously, real MOP inlays, ebony board, and a better flame top....actually a matching headstock would be nice too....like the Sl3's but, between my SL4 and this I am super impressed with the Japanese build quality and playability. I know we'll prolly never see guitars like the early 90's pro's again but, the playability and quality of these is all there and just as good IMO just without the ebony/mop necks.

I may have forgotten to mention some things in this review so forgive me. It's almost 3:00a.m. and I.....AM.....BEAT! So I'm hittin' the sack right now!
          Enjoy the pics.
          Last edited by Madness; 12-10-2006, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing. Now that is a NICE import!
            The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

hey, that looks sharp!
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Man, congrats on the purchase!

You sure got teh photo skillz, those are awesome pics, and the guitar looks great.
                  I can only repeat myself... a little binding goes a long way in making an import look classy!
                  http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Thanks guys! Here is another pic comparing the thickness of the body to the SL4. (standard thickness) This is probably why the guitar is so light.

Comment

Congrats man!!! Im glad you were able to get it... lucky too, if it had MOP it would have been me posting up those pics! Good luck with it bro!
                      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Congrats man!!! Im glad you were able to get it... lucky too, if it had MOP it would have been me posting up those pics! Good luck with it bro!
                        Thanks again Rob. I saw how dissapointed you were about the MOTO inlays which is why I asked you for the contact info. I dealt with a guy there named Nick, who was extremely helpful and went out of his way to get this guitar in my hands. I've been waiting for Jackson to come out with a guitar like this for a while. I would love an Arctop Pro but, you can't pry those out of anyones dead, cold hands. Plus I was really impressed with the quality of my SL4 so I figured I would take another chance with this one.

Oh BTW, the serial # is 061878.

Comment

Nick is a good guy to deal with... next time I go in there, Ill have to mention "helping" this sale... maybe he'll hook me up some more.

Hey, whats the top? Is it a veneer or is it actually carved maple?
                          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

The ad I posted says flame maple top.
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Very cool. I loves me a trans blue geetar!!

Comment

hehe, that would be awesome.

I can't tell because the sides are solid black but, I suspect veneer because of the lack of depth...but, then again my SL1 has a veneer and looks deep as hell.

Comment

Working...
                                X