another noob chimes in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another noob chimes in

Just wanted to introduce myself having discovered you folks over the last few weeks. Just picked up my first Jackson (a DKMG) after wanting a Jackson for around 20 years and I have now caught the bug. I haven't played guitar in nearly 10 years after compressing a nerve that made fingers in my left hand numb and extremely frustrating to play. I finally had an operation and have regained enough feeling to begin playing again, hence the present to myself. I have a lot of catching up to do. All of that said, I am extremely interested in actually building a project guitar and doing some custom paint, etc. Where do most folks go for parts, especially necks? I gather Ebay is a primary source? Is there also a place I can get info on what bodies require for frets?

Thanks for all of the help in advance.

tom
    "... and is there anyone out there who can sing music beyond either the Dead/Phish/jam band of the week

or

obscure B-side GreatWhiteLionSnake demos recorded in the basement of some guy who was the girlfriend's second cousin's in-law's best man?

I swear to God, if we audition another American Idol wannabee or have another no show, I'll turn postal. I'm a donkey on the frickin' edge."

Hey, welcome.

What's the year & ser# on your Dinky?

The project stuff, take a look around all the forums, especially Tech Q&A.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Hey, welcome! Good intro post!

If you're looking to build Jackson mutts, then I think eBay would be the best source for parts. If you want to build other things also, maybe warmoth.com would be interesting? Unfortunately their bodies aren't quite compatible with Jackson/Charvel necks though. There's however a forum member (Slash) who runs a business making custom bodies for guitar projects ("Mojo Bodies", unless I'm mistaken).

Originally posted by neverdunn View Post
      Is there also a place I can get info on what bodies require for frets?
      I'm a little confused by this question though. Do you mean which models had 22 vs. 24 frets?

Comment

Sorry - my wording was a little awkward, but you hit the nail on the head. I am trying to build some mutt guitars, though primarily Jackson/Charvel's and I'm pretty new to the whole thing. So far I've been able to get quite a bit of info here on what necks will work with what bodies. I'm assuming most of the Jackson and Charvel necks are fairly interchangable as long as the scale and # of frets match up. The pocket sizes seem to be fairly standard. I can handle the wiring easily enough and the various trems should be okay to figure out.

Seems as though most bodies require a 25.5, 24 fret neck, which would explain their being so much more expensive on ebay vs the 22 fret necks? I am wondering what bodies take a 22 fret neck other than some (all?) of the RR models?
        "... and is there anyone out there who can sing music beyond either the Dead/Phish/jam band of the week

or

obscure B-side GreatWhiteLionSnake demos recorded in the basement of some guy who was the girlfriend's second cousin's in-law's best man?

I swear to God, if we audition another American Idol wannabee or have another no show, I'll turn postal. I'm a donkey on the frickin' edge."

Comment

The dinky I bought was new and I assume a holdover as I only paid $349.00 for it at Daddy's Junky Music here in Vermont. It is a cobalt blue string-thru with the emg-hz pups in it with the turbo-boost instead of the latest one with the active EMG's. It was set up at the shop and plays much, much better than my old Iceman does (a 78 I kept). It sounds great through my Soldano, so I'll stick with them for now, but I'm sure I'll put in some Duncan's before I'm done. I don't have the serial # handy - I'm at work.

or

Comment

Welcome...
            Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

349$ for DKMGT? I paid 991$ for a DKMG here.

And i thing you bought it new but with old specifications like mine. What do you think about that issue?
              Life can be good with right people.
              Andi Deris

Comment

I was pretty shocked at the price too. I jumped all over it. It's a great guitar. I tend to like the string-thru set ups vs. a Floyd, and the pup's have been fine thru my amp. Duncans would be better, but I'm not complaining. It's been a long time since I have been able to play and compare, but this thing is seems unbelieveably fast compared to my Iceman. The neck feels like a toothpick. Overall, I love it. Enough so I'm likely to buy more or maybe frankenstein 1-2 together over the winter.

or

Comment

I refinished my RG570 and I used re-ranch for a lot of friendly advice. They also sell nice products. http://reranch.august.net/index.html. Also, great find on the price. I have the same guitar and I paid about $475 in pieces. $300 for the body, $175 for another guitar so I could steal the neck and $60 at my local shop to set it up. I still have the body of the PS4 that I bought locally and a replacement neck that I bought off of ebay. I think I am going to put that one together eventually and have two Jacksons.

Comment

Originally posted by neverdunn View Post
                    Seems as though most bodies require a 25.5, 24 fret neck, which would explain their being so much more expensive on ebay vs the 22 fret necks? I am wondering what bodies take a 22 fret neck other than some (all?) of the RR models?
                    A lot of the older import models (late 80's to early 90's) used 22 fret necks - both Charvels and Jacksons. Gradually more and more models were changed to 24 frets. Why the RR has been permanently stuck with 22 is a mystery.

Btw, check out audiozone.dk for old catalogue scans. Lots of good info there.

As for bolt-on imports, there were a few 24.75" scale models, while most were 25.5". All Fusions for instance - are 24.75" and have 24 frets.

Older J/C guitars (mostly late 80's Charvels) also had non-recessed Floyd trems. Then there was a transitional period when they had non-recessed trems with a pull-up route, before getting fully recessed trems. A guitar with a non-recessed Floyd will have the neck at an angle, just like a string-through (TOM) guitar.

Comment

THANKS for the idea on the catalog scans - it never occured to me. Lots of good info. I do want to build a guitar with Floyd, just because I have never owned one and it would be cool to know how to put all of this stuff together. I suspect I'll make some mistakes with parts, especially when it comes to getting the right trem/locking nut on the right neck/body. I'm pretty pumped though; I've always wanted to own a room full of these guitars.

or

Comment

hey welcome....are you aiming to make bodys with jackson necks or just completely new guitars. My best bet is warmoth, but if you look around there are many companys around, but like i said welcome.

Respect racerX or as we know him Ron, he'll be vaulable in your quest for knowledge here.
                        "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

I'm pretty into taking J/C parts and putting them together, sort of my own customized Jackson with custom paint, pup's, whatever. I have a small side business working on motorcycles and my partner is an excellent painter, so my hope is to build a solid guitar with a good paint job - and a matching color headstock. I do however like the idea of a LP with a Jackson neck, but that might be a little tricky. I haven't begun to research what might line up, though I read somewhere a 25.5 neck would bolt up to a Hondo II LP body.

or

Comment

I don't know if it's feasible, but as mentioned above, Fusion necks are 24 3/4". If you could find a bolt-on Ibanez LP body.....
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                            X