DKMG vs DKMG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DKMG vs DKMG

Okay, so what is the deal? I noticed in Kabak's thread that he had paid for a 2006 model DKMG but got a 2005 model. I can understand why he would be disappointed on a level of feeling like he was getting cheated but my question is, is the 2006 a better version or a different version. I have the older model that I pieced together with a 1991 neck. It has the 2005 pickups which I notice seem to get a bad rap around here. Anyone want to break down the differences and explain the good and the bad?

2006 models have active EMG's not the HZ's with the afterburner...and the trems were supposedly upgraded. There may be some color changes too. I know the newer cobalt blue swirl is darker than the one that Kabak got. Looks alot better, IMO.

EDIT: I guess I was wrong on the trem...here's a quote from Kabak's thread.

Originally posted by sunbane
    According to John @ JCMI, the trem upgrade was on the Pro-series only.

Comment

After hearing that news about trem, there are only 2 differences:

1. hz vs 81-85
      2. turbocharger vs no turbocharger

I am also questionning that issue since i bought an old model as if it's new model.

They seem like equal to me, also maybe old is better because the sound of passive pick-ups are less digitalized, more natural (i am not so sure about that but just my opinion).

And old owner have a chance to change pick-ups but new owner cannot get turbocharger unless they carve the body for it. That sounds unreal.
      Life can be good with right people.
      Andi Deris

Comment

Color differences are also like that (CBS)

Old CBS

New CBS
        Last edited by KabaK; 12-06-2006, 11:00 AM.
        Life can be good with right people.
        Andi Deris

Comment

that 2006 version is juicy. c'mon xmas bonus, i'm dying to burn ya!
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Okay, how about tonally? Any reason why the HZ's seem to get so little respect vs the 81 -85? Also, sorry for my ignorance but my HZ's required a nine volt to make them work. I thought they were active and not passive. Oh yeah, I actually like the the old CBS better at least in that picture. May change my mind if I saw them both in person. I decided to piece mine together with the body I found off of ebay because I it was such a cool rare color.

Last edited by Acidhouse; 12-06-2006, 06:32 PM.

Comment

The 9volt is for the afterburner. That's a sweet color BTW.^^^
              Last edited by Madness; 12-06-2006, 06:35 PM.

Comment

I was always partial to active EMGs, because I tried a few guitars with HZs in a shop, and they never impressed me at all. To me (at the time) they sounded like EMGs, but weaker and "fartier". However, these days I've gone over to passives, and I don't know how I would compare them now. Maybe the afterburner is the ticket to getting some oomph out of the HZs?

All I really know is that I grew tired of the sound I got from the actives. I have not had a chance to give the HZs another shot. My verdict may be totally different if I compared them today.

Comment

Originally posted by Acidhouse View Post
                  Okay, how about tonally? Any reason why the HZ's seem to get so little respect vs the 81 -85? Also, sorry for my ignorance but my HZ's required a nine volt to make them work. I thought they were active and not passive. Oh yeah, I actually like the the old CBS better at least in that picture. May change my mind if I saw them both in person. I decided to piece mine together with the body I found off of ebay because I it was such a cool rare color.

Very cool color indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by profetaxxi View Post
                    Very cool color indeed!
                    How much did it cost to have it pieced to that body?

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                      I was always partial to active EMGs, because I tried a few guitars with HZs in a shop, and they never impressed me at all. To me (at the time) they sounded like EMGs, but weaker and "fartier". However, these days I've gone over to passives, and I don't know how I would compare them now. Maybe the afterburner is the ticket to getting some oomph out of the HZs?

All I really know is that I grew tired of the sound I got from the actives. I have not had a chance to give the HZs another shot. My verdict may be totally different if I compared them today.
                      Back when I still had the HZs in my DKMGT, I always had the Turbocharger turned up a notch to make up for the weak output. It did help some, but did also make things muddier quickly.
                      Active EMGs still sound better than the HZs in my opinion.
                      I actually never really liked the EMG sound but at least the actives give you balls and clarity.
                      http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Okay, how about tonally? Any reason why the HZ's seem to get so little respect vs the 81 -85? Also, sorry for my ignorance but my HZ's required a nine volt to make them work.
                        That's because of the way they are wired. You need a battery in there to make them work, but they would still work if the battery was drained.
                        http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the responses. Tonight I switched out the Jackson for my Fender HM and I have to admit that the HZ's don't really compare well to the HM's p'ups.
                          Shadowcat: My HZ's actually didn't work without the nine volt. I thought I had been ripped off on ebay and was about to send a scathing email when I got the idea to open up the back and look for loose wires. That's when I found the nine volt battery plug. I plugged in the only nine volt I could find in the house, (what uses those things anymore) and suddenly my p'ups were working again.
                          Profetaxxi: It was $300 for the body; I then spent $50 on a fake Jackson style neck; I then panicked, convinced the neck wouldn't work, so I found a PS4 locally from a fellow member. The PS4 was missing pickups but came with two Humbuckers that were separte and it came with a case. It was missing the FR. That was $175. After about two hours of cussing, I decided that my second attempt to set up a FR guitar wasn't going to work so I took it in to a local shop to have it set up. That cost $60. End result, $300 plus $175 plus $60 plus $50 for the extra neck was $585 with a Charvel/Jackson case. To boot, I have almost enough parts to build a second one. If I can score an FR for fairly cheap and throw in a single p'up, I will have two for that price (blue flame).

Comment

My HZ's actually didn't work without the nine volt. I thought I had been ripped off on ebay and was about to send a scathing email when I got the idea to open up the back and look for loose wires. That's when I found the nine volt battery plug. I plugged in the only nine volt I could find in the house, (what uses those things anymore) and suddenly my p'ups were working again.
                            It must surely be because of the turbocharger...
                            I can't imagine why it would otherwise have a battery?

Comment

Right...

Comment

Working...
                              X