Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help with Pickups on Sl3

Hello,
    I own a 2006 SL3 and I'm not happy with the Hot Rails. I don't use the middle so I'm not going to change it but the neck position pickup I want something brighter and clearer. The Hot rails is to fat and warm to the point of Dull sounding. It sounds like I rolled the tone control 1/2 way down even when it's full open. I owned a 2005 Sl3 and it didn't sound like this.

I've been looking at single coil pickups and I want something noiseless. I want that Strat type sound in the neck position without the noise.

Anyone have any ideas???

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Is it not the same pickups you had in both guitars? I would think its wierd that you had much of a difference with the 2 guitars if they both have hot-rails.

Comment

Originally posted by demeyes View Post
      Is it not the same pickups you had in both guitars? I would think its wierd that you had much of a difference with the 2 guitars if they both have hot-rails.
      Very different tone man. My 2005 had a wierd buzzing problem and Jackson replaced it. I took it to a Jackson/Fender tech and he said that he would have to start replacing parts to find the problem as the things that would cause this kind of problem didn't fix it. He changed the volume pod, setup the entire guitar to factoy spec's. Sam Ash Music Store took the guitar back and gave me a new one. the new one was a 2006 model with the orignal Floyd Rose Instead of a jackson trem. I was very happy about that but I lost sound quality in my Neck position. It's very dark to the point of Muddy sound. I can't believe that the guitar right out of the box, setup by Sam Ash hadd somethiing wrong with it. I figured maybe the wood is different or something.
      So my quest is to brighten up the neck position. I want more of a strat sound. nice and bright yet warm and clear in the same package. My last strat American made was fantastic at clean licks. My last Jackson was almost as good but was alittle thicker. I figured a new Pickup like a 59 strat noiseless replacement pickup would fit the bill. I would like suggestions.

Dan

Comment

Or you could rewire the neck pickup so that it's constantly tapped/split instead of running both at the same time.

Or swap the neck and middle pickups?

Then again, if it's Strat tone you're after, get a Strat pickup.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Look into the DiMarzio YJM, it's noise canceling.
          Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
          Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
          Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Comment

Working...
          X