Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid-nineties Professionals vs. today?

Hello all,

How do you feel the current Pro Series guitars compare to their mid 90's counterparts? I'm looking at a bolt-on, reverse sharkfin, EMG'd Kelly which I've dated to 1995-1998 (thanks for all the info on this forum!) and I'm sort of trying to gauge the "right" price for it. A new Kelly would be a good reference if they're of similar quality.

I hope this is not an impossible, stupid or an impossibly stupid question. Thanks for your time and happy 2k7!

My 2006 DK2M is every bit as good as my `93 Dinky XL Pro. The only thing I find disappointing about the current imports is the plastic inlays instead of real MOP on the old ones. Most people don't like the licensed trems, but I've had plenty of problems with the old Schaller Floyds and don't consider them a "plus" when shopping for guitars.
    sigpic

Comment

Inazone, good to hear current imports are of such high quality. Maybe I should snag one of them! The maple board DK2 gives me all kinds of funny sensations...

I agree with you on the licensed bridges. Based on my own (meager) experience I'd say that a well set up licensed trem is pretty likely to work as well as an OFR. Questions of sound, feel and perhaps durability are separate issues though, and I must admit the best trem feel wise I've encountered was an OFR.

I'm neither trying to start a war nor saying that licensed trems are "as good" as their more original counterparts, it's just that I feel setup is a major issue and even a good quality, expensive bridge will be a pain in the ass if set up poorly.

Comment

In 1995 I bought a Kelly Pro XL Rev (reverse headstock) which was the precurser to the KE3 you are speaking of. It cost me $895 new w/case back then. I added EMGs and sold it 4 years later for $400 (the most I could get at the time). I have a DK2M, and that is of equal or maybe better quality than the kelly.

Here's some catalog shots of the KE3 (courtesy of Henrik):

Comment

Henrik's Jackson content on his site just plain rocks. Thanks a million Henrik! I visit audiozone.dk a whole lot.

I asked the current owner if I could use some of his pics and he didn't mind so here are a few shots. (The service I use for hosting pictures doesn't allow hotlinking so URLs to folders will have to do... it's cleaner anyway IMHO )

I really like the finish - even if it is just fotoflame. Do you guys know what the finish is called?

And sorry if I'm flooding the board with stupid questions, I've just recently gotten into J/C and am trying to gather as much info - not to mention instruments! - as I can.

Comment

Based on the KE1 shown in the catalog pics and seeing TBK listed for both KE1 & KE3, I'm guessing the guitar you are looking at is TBK (Trans Black) over the "flame maple guavure top":

What price (converted to US$) is he asking? Hopefully he is including the form fit hard plastic case.

I looks like the current owner added a Tone control (the emg pickup sets usually come with the volume and tone controls connected via the capacitor, and maybe he thought he had to include the tone in the install).

Kelly's don't balance well. If you search on the forum here you'll find several threads about mods to relocate the strap for better balance.

Comment

Thanks for all your input MountainDog! Appreciate it.

I guessed Trans Black as well.

It'll be a trade but I'll end up paying 500 EUR'ish for it (about $660 at current rate) with the EMG's, no original case. The prices in Europe and Finland in particular are higher than in the States, $660 would probably be very pricey on the other side of the Atlantic. But I think I can talk the price down if necessary after trying the guitar out. Just for reference, a new trans top KE3 is about $880 in Europe (at http://www.thomann.de).

Yeah, the tone pot has been added. Don't really care for it myself.

And thanks for the heads up on the neck dive, I've been reading up on the Kelly and I've noticed people have been having that problem.

Comment

When you try the guitar out, I'd use the added drilled hole for the tone control as a negative to try to work the price down.

If you don't like the tone knob in the way, you can move the tone pot back into the control cavity (or remove it altogether) and cover the left over hole with a metal or plastic cap. There's also a few threads on here about that with some pics. Search the Tech section.

Comment

Unfortunately, I think 1995-2001 may be the worst era for Jackson import quality.

I was never overly impressed with my 1998 import Jackson (RR-X). The Charvels I own right now (1987 & 1990) are heads and shoulders above it. The main quality difference was in the fretwork. The RR-X had somewhat uneven frets, which made it impossible to get the action down as low as I wanted it, without having too much fret buzz. None of the frets were lifting, and it had only minor wear from playing - it looked quite well maintained.

I first had it adjusted by a tech, but he said that he would have to give all the frets a good overhaul to make it any better. Later when I learnt to do setups myself, I also reached the same conclusion, and it just wasn't cost efficient to give it that treatment - so I just started looking for a higher quality guitar.

That being said, it was a solidly built instrument, and it was great to learn setup and maintenance on. I paid around 400 Euro for mine in fairly good condition in 2001.

As for the newer imports, I've heard a lot of good things about them. I have not yet had the pleasure to own one, but from what I've heard, quality has only gone up since Fender bought Jackson. The people who say otherwise are talking bull to be able to get more dough out of their guitars when selling them.

Comment

I'd agree with Sunbane regarding that 1995-2001 time span of just mediocre Jacksons. Not talking about Customs or US models, only imports. The ones prior to 1995 kick a$$ as do their 2006 models!

Comment

I disagree, my 96 DX1 is pretty nice!

Comment

Why haven't I posted in here yet? Oh yeah, I helped ZZB by PM.
                        Good info from MD & Sunbane!
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                          I disagree, my 96 DX1 is pretty nice!
                          So is my 97

Comment

Thanks a lot for your input everyone. Ron included. I'll be getting the guitar tomorrow and as always, the fingers 'n ears will make the final decision. I'll let you know how the saga continues.

I think this has been a very informative thread.

Comment

I got the Kelly a day early. First impressions: nnnnice.

Comment

Working...
                              X