Mid-nineties Professionals vs. today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZZB View Post
    I got the Kelly a day early. First impressions: nnnnice.
    Let's see some pics now!

Edit: I just realised you had already posted pics from the previous owner.
    Too bad about that tone knob. Other than that, awesome finish!
    Last edited by Sunbane; 01-03-2007, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
      Let's see some pics now!

Edit: I just realised you had already posted pics from the previous owner.
      Too bad about that tone knob. Other than that, awesome finish!
      This non-sought-after Professional feels such a solid instrument I should probably avoid ever trying out one of the 1990-1994 ones. It'd be instant GAS and a man on a mission to get a Jackson Kelly Pro by any means necessary...

My only gripe is with the tone knob but I thought maybe I'd get an EMG 89 for the neck position and place a coil tapping switch in the surplus hole. I'm in no hurry though. I'm not the greatest fan of the EMG 81 but it seems to fit the bill on this guitar just fine.

The finish rocks and the instrument is actually in better shape when seen live. There's nothing more brutal than poor lighting and a flash...

As for the neck heaviness, I honestly haven't noticed too much of it. I usually keep my strap pretty high and the Kelly seems to behave nicely at approximate Marty strap length (always learn from the master). A longer strap might make the neck dive I guess. I have no need to be able to pee over my guitar though.

These are just first impressions after a few hours of play, the thing might actually turn out to be a POS in the long run. But I like it so much I think I'm going to keep it. I've owned a couple of instruments but by no means do I consider myself knowledgeable on guitars and I probably haven't tried a really good Jackson... I'll just happily plonk away on my cheap imports until I do. Ignorance is bliss.

I hope I don't sound like I'm making a speech for the mid-90's Professionals and against the earlier ones. That's not my intention at all. This is all IMHO.

I'm trading the Kelly for a Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster btw.

Comment

The best time for the Pro Series was from 1990 through 1993. That was the glory days time period for the Japanese made Jacksons. Nothing in the Pro line comes close to those heralded instruments.
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
          The best time for the Pro Series was from 1990 through 1993. That was the glory days time period for the Japanese made Jacksons. Nothing in the Pro line comes close to those heralded instruments.
          So I hear. I've got to get myself one of those then.

Comment

I genuinely think that the Pro Series Artist Signature models introduced in 2003, will earn its place in history right alongside the early nineties Pro.

My 2005 KBRR radiate the same magic as my 1993 Rhoads Pro and none of the other Jackson imports I've tried in the last ten years comes even close.
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Working...
            X