Need info on modding a JS Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Szostak View Post
    Yeah, I pictured you as your avatar, walking down the street in a business suit, breifcase in hand, waving hello to people as you passed in a cocky superhero voice! Dang.

But yeah... ebonizing?
    Originally posted by kelly user View Post
    szostak theres a thing that came up the other day, it like converted woods to other woods, color i mean, and it was a lot easier clean up. it was some where on this forum
    kelly user, you are starting to annoy me, but Szostak, you are cool, so I'll tell you about this ebonizing method that I heard about from a respected JCFer

Short version: pour vinegar in a clean glass jar, add steel wool, place cap on jar, wait a couple weeks. A chemical reaction occurs and you end up with a gray liquid. Destring your guitar and wash the fretboard thoroughly. Apply the liquid to (rosewood) fretboard, avoiding the binding and inlays (unless you want to blacken the dots like my in my Warrior thread). Maybe use a Q tip. The liquid supposedly reacts with the wood to darken it.

I will do this to my DXMG neck soon, or rather, have someone do it for me. Yes, I'm one of those lazy asses who gets others to do my dirty (luthier)work.

Keywords: ebonize ebonizing ebonization
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

sorry ron didn't mean too........ vinegar and steel wool, im going to ask my chemistry teacher about that
      "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

keywords worked
        "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

sorry ron didn't mean too........ vinegar and steel wool, im going to ask my chemistry teacher about that
          Cool, I'd be interested to hear his/her opinion.
          Last edited by RacerX; 01-03-2007, 10:58 PM.
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

her

Comment

You might want to try the Planet Waves locking tuners too, they went in my KV Pro without any modifications and work great. The self trimming option is really nice too....always have a clean looking headstock with no little pointy string ends to stab yourself with.
              Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                MF isn't exactly known for their accuracy. I am.
                :ROTF:

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                kelly user, you are starting to annoy me, but Szostak, you are cool, so I'll tell you about this ebonizing method that I heard about from a respected JCFer

Short version: pour vinegar in a clean glass jar, add steel wool, place cap on jar, wait a couple weeks. A chemical reaction occurs and you end up with a gray liquid. Destring your guitar and wash the fretboard thoroughly. Apply the liquid to (rosewood) fretboard, avoiding the binding and inlays (unless you want to blacken the dots like my in my Warrior thread). Maybe use a Q tip. The liquid supposedly reacts with the wood to darken it.

I will do this to my DXMG neck soon, or rather, have someone do it for me. Yes, I'm one of those lazy asses who gets others to do my dirty (luthier)work.

Keywords: ebonize ebonizing ebonization
                That sounds simple enough, and very interesting at that! Is there a certain amount I should be making? Thanks

-Paul
                DIVIDE THIS LAND | DIRTY 'N' HEAVY, SERVED PIPING HOT

Comment

Originally posted by VoiceX3 View Post
                  You might want to try the Planet Waves locking tuners too, they went in my KV Pro without any modifications and work great. The self trimming option is really nice too....always have a clean looking headstock with no little pointy string ends to stab yourself with.
                  Alright, I'll check those out too, thanks!

Comment

szotak i hate to steal your thread but... this thread has spawned an idea. i was thinking get a js series v, ripping everything of hardware, pick-ups, even the paint (repaint white with black bevels or vise versa,i'd be doing an at home spray paint job inspired by mm2002), buying a neck from here http://www.guitarshopsupply.net/prod...67e9b9dcac8347
                    putting that on, drop in an X2n/ super 2, get a pot kit fro that place, that other guy is always recomending to everyone. trash the orginal neck.
                    but then it occured to me that i would be paying $300 for the body alone and thats because its CEDAR.
                    i was thinking what if i get a warmoth body and put that mighty mite neck on it. and then i get a jackson decal and then i would have a sleeper V. but heres the thing i could just get all the money i'd be wasting and buy a nicer jackson but its experience that im after, any thoughts on this
                    BTW will that neck fit on a warmoth body??

Comment

szotak i hate to steal your thread but... this thread has spawned an idea. i was thinking get a js series v, ripping everything of hardware, pick-ups, even the paint (repaint white with black bevels or vise versa,i'd be doing an at home spray paint job inspired by mm2002), buying a neck from here http://www.guitarshopsupply.net/prod...67e9b9dcac8347
                      putting that on, drop in an X2n/ super 2, get a pot kit fro that place, that other guy is always recomending to everyone. trash the orginal neck.
                      but then it occured to me that i would be paying $300 for the body alone and thats because its CEDAR.
                      i was thinking what if i get a warmoth body and put that mighty mite neck on it. and then i get a jackson decal and then i would have a sleeper V. but heres the thing i could just get all the money i'd be wasting and buy a nicer jackson but its experience that im after, any thoughts on this
                      BTW will that neck fit on a warmoth body??
                      CEDRO, CEDRO!
                      Sounds like a good idea, but I don't see the use in doing it. I was told on this very forum [it was so long ago, before the board was reset] that making my own guitar from warmoth parts was actually useless financially, unless I had cash laying around that was gathering dust. Then again, you say it's experience you're after, so why not just scavenge eBay for parts and/or craigslist and/or ask around here? Cool idea nonetheless, I wish I had the patience to do that.

I may be very wrong, but that's my .02!

-Paul

Comment

i found out that the mighty mite neck and the warmoth body will marry. i'm looking at close to $600 for All the parts. which isn't bad but i wouldn't be suprised if i can't scavenge for most of them. RR body stlye with a jackson reverse neck( that thing has MOP inlays and is bound for only a hundred bucks, HOLY CRAP) X2n and super two. i want to pm mm2002 to see how much a body paint will cost or even if he'll do it for me

Comment

i want to pm mm2002 to see how much a body paint will cost or even if he'll do it for me
                          Definetly, that guy seems to know his shit, I followed that entire RR "Bondo" project from the vey start, but then left the board for a while, and when I came back, it was just as amazing! That'd be pretty cool if he'd do it, maybe i'll shoot him a PM too

Comment

this project won't make way until late spring early summer i have a gibby explorer on lay away and i want a fender 212R son i figure id get the explorer and amp then work on this

Comment

holy crap ron is that you????
                              thats not really how i pictured you

Funny you'd say that. I always pictured Ron with that "WTF" look on his face wondering what chord he should be in......oh wait...that's the pic!!!!!!
                              So I was right!
                              Last edited by mm2002; 01-05-2007, 08:24 PM.
                              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

And that looks very much like Kevin Maynard singing!

Now, that's a scary fucking pcture! :ROTF::ROTF::ROTF:
                                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                                X