Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need info on modding a JS Series

Hokai, so.
    I've got a JS30RR that I want to look cosmetically extravagant (I love using long and useless words ). Basically, I want to switch the bridge + knobs + those little silver rings that the strings go through for either brushed black or gloss black (Some sort of black) and change the tuners to locking ones (It tends to like to just randomly go out of tune). Is there a site somewhere out there on the internet that I can get all these pieces from (and for a reasonable price, too)?

Thanks muchos,
    -Paul
    DIVIDE THIS LAND | DIRTY 'N' HEAVY, SERVED PIPING HOT

The Wilkinson EZ-LOK tuners at www.guitarfetish.com are direct replacements for stock Jackson tuners, and don't cost much. Instead of clamping the string, they have two holes per post, so the string is "locked" by its own tension. I just installed some on a Dinky and they work slick. Better stability than the stock tuners, and they look the same until you notice the extra string holes.

BTW, the holes that the strings pass through behind the bridge are called ferrules.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Szostak View Post
      Hokai, so.
      Ashudo, then.

Originally posted by Szostak View Post
      I want to switch the bridge + knobs + those little silver rings that the strings go through
      Ferrules:
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Thanks guys, really appreciated! As for knobs, any ideas? Oh and, for the bridge, is there a certain size requirement that i'll need to measure out?

Comment

canadian damn you got me there, is it even possible to replace those ferrules???
          "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Bridge is a JT-390. I'm doing exactly this to my KVX10.
            I think I'll just magic marker the ferrules.
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
              Bridge is a JT-390. I'm doing exactly this to my KVX10.
              I think I'll just magic marker the ferrules.
              nice very mexican, you are now deemed a honorary mexican, you shall be named pancho:ROTF:
              "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Hey Paul, I noticed you are from Montreal, I'm too...

Are you going to order all those parts from online stores or are you going to get them localy? I also own a JS30 Kelly that I would love to change the tuners to locking ones... Let me know what you are planning to do. I'm a bit afraid of those expensive duty fees when odering things online from outside Canada.
                JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
                  Hey Paul, I noticed you are from Montreal, I'm too...

Are you going to order all those parts from online stores or are you going to get them localy? I also own a JS30 Kelly that I would love to change the tuners to locking ones... Let me know what you are planning to do. I'm a bit afraid of those expensive duty fees when odering things online from outside Canada.
                  I was going to take it to Steve's or Italmelodie, but i didn't feel like lugging my guitar around on the bus + metro [I'm 16, no car ] so I'm just looking around over the internet. I've ordered plenty from online stores in the past, and shipping + duty fees doesn't add up to be too horrendous.

Although, I should add, once I buy the parts, I'm getting them all installed by techs, no way i'm doing that myself, i'm guitarded.

Thanks for the input guys... magic marker, eh?

MTL represent

Comment

Alright, I got some specifics on what i want, I just want to know if (yes/no) they will fit or not... here it is:

"Gotoh Tunematic, Large Mounting Holes, Black, 2-1/16" String, 2-29/32" Post Spacing"

(Keep in mind, that bridge is black )

"Short Black Dome Knobs (2) With Set Screw, fits USA split shaft pots, 5/8" Tall x 3/4""

"Jackplate for Les Paul®, Black Chrome, With Screws"

(Once again, that's black)

"Black String-thru ferrules"

(Black)

"Wilkinson EZ-LOK locking Tuners Black 6 inline for Fender Headstocks"

And finally, here's a CSG mock-up of it all...
                    BEFORE:

AFTER:

Any more suggestions would be awesome

Thanks guys,
                    -Paul

Comment

rip off that flip switch nut and rust-oleum(paint) it black

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
                        rip off that flip switch nut and rust-oleum(paint) it black
                        I was also thinking of changing the inlays to black, is that possible? (Without magic marker )

Comment

Yes, by ebonizing that fretboard

See this

here: http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4691
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                            Yes, by ebonizing that fretboard

See this

here: http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4691
                            Very kickass, but I still don't understand the "ebonizing" process... Is it just some sort of dye?

Comment

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Eric%27s/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                              X