Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did ebony boards cease on Professional series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did ebony boards cease on Professional series?

I'm looking at a '95 Soloist Pro and from the pics I can't tell what the fret board wood is exactly, it is pretty dark. Would it, in fact, have an ebony board being from '95? Thanks Jackson experts!
    Cheers!

Look at this :
    http://www.audiozone.dk/index-filer/proconfusion.htm
    Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Probably not in '95 - maybe very early '95, but if it says "XL" or anything on the trussrod cover (which are easily swapped, anyway), then it's most likely rosewood.

The cessation of ebony boards coincides with the beginning of the "XL" and other designations.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

If it has a Schaller Trem it should have a ebony board . Any other trem (lower quailty also) and it should be rosewood.
        Mike
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the help. It's hard to tell from the trem, as it's been upgraded with an OFR and it does say "Pro" on the trussrod cover.

Anyway, I bought it and should be here sometime next week. I'll post pics tomorrow, maybe then someone can tell for sure.

One more thing: How different in tone are poplar and alder? Enough to tell when cranking through an amp?
          Last edited by usrname; 01-05-2007, 12:51 AM.
          Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            The cessation of ebony boards coincides with the beginning of the "XL" and other designations.
            Er, this is wrong. XLs were produced along with PROs in the early 90s. They are just a step below the PROs in features. See Henrik's awesome chart at the link Special-K posted.

PROs (ebony boarded, top of the line Professionals) were produced from 1990 - 1995. See Henrik's awesome chart.

To avoid some of the confusion, I always use "PRO" (from the large font found in the '90-'91 catalog) when referring to the ebony-boarded Pros, and I encourage everybody to do the same.
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Thanks RacerX. The only bad thing is, it's coming with a Levy's gig bag, so I'll be biting my nails 'til it gets here. Which is the correct case for these and who has a good price? Thanks. Oh, here's a pic:

Cheers!

Comment

Nice guitar
                Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

It looks like ebony from the pic. Post more pics when you get it!
                  Scott

Comment

That guitar will have an ebony board. I have a 1990 Soloist Pro, and although the ebony is a little lighter than on my USA Jacksons, it is very consistent (no streaks) and really looks nice.
                    sigpic

Comment

Yeah, it will probably need a good cleaning and setup. Maybe the ebony will darken a bit.

How are the active pups on this thing? How do they compare to EMGs? How does the preamp/mid boost work? I've had only passives in the past. I'll try searching, but is there a link to this info somewhere?
                      Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                        Post more pics when you get it!
                        Sure will! I think the flash makes it look lighter than it really is.

BTW, this will be my first Jackson!!!
                        Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by usrname View Post
                          Sure will! I think the flash makes it look lighter than it really is.

BTW, this will be my first Jackson!!!
                          Way to start yourself off, very nice, man.
                          DIVIDE THIS LAND | DIRTY 'N' HEAVY, SERVED PIPING HOT

Comment

Nice git! I wonder if the factory installed JT-590 has been swapped for an OFR....?
                            Henrik
                            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
                              Nice git! I wonder if the factory installed JT-590 has been swapped for an OFR....?
                              Yes it has! Check it out:

And thank you for putting together such a great site. Thanks to you and the knowledgeable guys on this board, I was able to weed through all the different models and cheaper stuff to find exactly what I was looking for.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X