Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did ebony boards cease on Professional series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Soloist Pro and a Bender avatar. I like you already!

Comment

Originally posted by ZZB View Post
      A Soloist Pro and a Bender avatar. I like you already!
      Bender is my hero.
      Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by usrname View Post
        How are the active pups on this thing? How do they compare to EMGs? How does the preamp/mid boost work? I've had only passives in the past. I'll try searching, but is there a link to this info somewhere?
        They are actually passive pickups attached to the active electronics, although many uneducated or misinformed eBay sellers claim that they were made by EMG for Jackson. Not the case, of course. My Soloist's electronics were gutted when I bought it, so maybe someone else can comment on the stock tone.
        sigpic

Comment

Yes it has!
          I thought something looked fishy! Consider it an upgrade. A very expensive one too. Regrettably, I've never encountered a JT-590 route to fit a properly setup OFR (with regards to intonation). Some of the OFR locking bolts usually overshoots the route and the result is a very limited pull-up. The saddles on your particular guitar seems to sit in an almost perfect straight line, which is a bit unusual for a correct intonation setup, but is very convenient for the bolts to fit inside the route. I could be wrong about this last comment - I hope your locking bolts will fit inside the route when properly intonated!

And thank you for putting together such a great site. Thanks to you and the knowledgeable guys on this board, I was able to weed through all the different models and cheaper stuff to find exactly what I was looking for.
          You did a perfect weedin' job - you got one of the potentially finest instruments of the Import line ever. Thank you for the kind words.
          Last edited by jackson1; 01-05-2007, 03:06 PM.
          Henrik
          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
            I thought something looked fishy! Consider it an upgrade. A very expensive one too. Regrettably, I've never encountered a JT-590 route to fit a properly setup OFR (with regards to intonation). Some of the OFR locking bolts usually overshoots the route and the result is a very limited pull-up. The saddles on your particular guitar seems to sit in an almost perfect straight line, which is a bit unusual for a correct intonation setup, but is very convenient for the bolts to fit inside the route. I could be wrong about this last comment - I hope your locking bolts will fit inside the route when properly intonated!
            I plan to have it set up as soon as I receive it. As for the locking bolts, can they be shortened in any way?
            Cheers!

Comment

If you know a machinist, or you are real handy yourself, you could shorten them, rethread them, and if you look at the ends, you'll need to reduce the diameter of the very end so it will fit inside the lock block, but a good nut, bolt supplier should have whatever length you need, but you will have to do the ends yourself. What you are able to do might be limited by where your intonation ends up.
              METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

How different in tone are poplar and alder? Enough to tell when cranking through an amp?
                i my opinion, alder is brighter than poplar. poplar has a really "smooth" sound and alder has a "light, scream" style sound.

through an amp i don't think the difference is noticable but not major, although it may be because of the different pickups i put on the guitars

nice axe there btw! and welcome to the jackson family
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCw4Es1ARzY
                http://www.soundclick.com/milkmen

Comment

Originally posted by evolutionised View Post
                  i my opinion, alder is brighter than poplar. poplar has a really "smooth" sound and alder has a "light, scream" style sound.

through an amp i don't think the difference is noticable but not major, although it may be because of the different pickups i put on the guitars

nice axe there btw! and welcome to the jackson family
                  Thanks, I'm hoping I like the stock humbucker, but if I don't, I've got a Duncan Distortion that I've been itching to make good use of. I just don't want an overly bright sound, which is why I asked about the wood.
                  Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonaxes View Post
                    If you know a machinist, or you are real handy yourself, you could shorten them, rethread them, and if you look at the ends, you'll need to reduce the diameter of the very end so it will fit inside the lock block, but a good nut, bolt supplier should have whatever length you need, but you will have to do the ends yourself. What you are able to do might be limited by where your intonation ends up.
                    Do you mean I wouldn't be able to pull up as much? I only use the trem sparingly, so it wouldn't be a problem. I would rather have it properly intonated. Would I be better off getting an original Schaller for it? How do people usually get away with installing an OFR with no problems?
                    Last edited by usrname; 01-05-2007, 10:25 PM.
                    Cheers!

Comment

Would I be better off getting an original Schaller for it?
                      Wait 'till it arrives and you have it set up. Then decide.

How do people usually get away with installing an OFR with no problems?
                      You must be thinking of swaps done on a non-recessed body?
                      Henrik
                      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Do you mean I wouldn't be able to pull up as much? I only use the trem sparingly, so it wouldn't be a problem. I would rather have it properly intonated. Would I be better off getting an original Schaller for it? How do people usually get away with installing an OFR with no problems?
                        First, KILLER first Jackson!

I tried to replace the base plate of a JT590 that was stripped with a 580 plate (which should be identical with an OFR, dimension wise) and it wouldn't intonate properly. Turns out the 580/ofr plate sits ever so slightly forward on the studs then did the orignal 590. So that when I tried to intonate the low E and A strings I had to go so far back on the base plate that the saddles where rising up on the upward slanted part of the plate torwards the back. I hope this insn't the case for your OFR when intonated. I only replaced the base plate, not the saddles, so maybe with an OFR plate AND saddles it'll be okay.

Fortunately I just a few minutes ago scored a JT590 off ebay for $56 dollars.... ..... and it only took a year to find one at good price

Karl

Comment

Bender is my hero.
                          my 5th grade math teacher was the guy who did Bender's voice's sister. She used get somethings signed by the cast and raffle them off.
                          "Better to Die Quickly Fighting on Your Feet
                          Than to Live Forever Begging on You Knees."-LoG

R.I.P.
                          Dimebag Darrell
                          Chuck Schuldiner
                          Cliff Burton

Comment

Originally posted by TrendkillDBD View Post
                            my 5th grade math teacher was the guy who did Bender's voice's sister.
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by TrendkillDBD View Post
                              my 5th grade math teacher was the guy who did Bender's voice's sister.
                              Can I have your autograph?
                              -Janne

Comment

Originally posted by ExodusAttack View Post
                                So you'd be the guy who has the autograph of the guy who had the sister of the guy who does Bender's voice for his 5th grade Math teacher.

Comment

Working...
                                X