SL2HT or SLSMG ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sakeido View Post
    I have the "dull black one" that one is satin black. I like how it plays better then the shiny finish ones - the neck is faster since it is more slippery, more like an unfinished neck. Its also easier to keep it looking clean.
    aha! That was my initial guess and you proved it! Thanks. Even I am not a big fan of lacquered sticky necks. But the shiny black is just amazing to look at. I wipe down my guitars after every (well almost every) play so i will not have a problem keeping it clean.

Originally posted by bibz
    I've played a us sls and an sl2h, and the sls is the 'best' guitar I've ever played, quality and sound wise.
    there is a US SLSMG? can you please provide a link? Or did you mean SL's?

Does the SLSMG have a maple top? All product desc for the SLSMG says "Mahogany carved top body" does that mean a Mahogany body with an alder top attached like the SLATQH?
    thanks
    Sam

Comment

There is a USA SLS. Here are couple pics of mine.

One of my SLSMG

One of my SLATQH
      RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
      CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
      Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
      Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

Originally posted by spencer4hire View Post
        There is a USA SLS. Here are couple pics of mine.

One of my SLSMG

One of my SLATQH
        Wow! That is the exact SLATQH I want! In transparent black!!
        What's your home address? LOL

Is the SLATQH heavier than the SLSMG (I know its an obvious question, but no one's given me a straight answer). The US SLS seems good but that bridge puts me off. I think the MIJ's string thru body sounds good.
        Sam

Comment

The SLATQ is heavier than the SLSMG or the SLS. It is not Les Paul heavy by any means. Comparable to a regular Soloist.The bridge on the SLS is nice. Easy to palm mute on.
          Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55

Comment

Emporer black: Does the SLSMG have a maple top? All product desc for the SLSMG says "Mahogany carved top body" does that mean a Mahogany body with an alder top attached like the SLATQH?

The flame maple and Eerie Dess Swirl (EDS) SLSMGs were dealer specials. If a dealer orders a large bunch of guitars with "minor" variations on a production version, they get their own special. That's why they don't appear on the Jackson website. I believe that the maple on the SLSMG was a veneer rather than a top (spencer4hire, can you confirm this?), so it's cosmetic and won't effect the sound. Incidentally, the SLATQH has no Alder at all, just Mahogany and Flame Maple!

You'd certainly hope that both Super Lightweight Soloists, the USA SLS and Japanese SLSMG (MG = EMG), were lighter than a standard Soloist. I think they're quite a bit thinner, for one thing.

Incidentally, I presume there's a typo in the latest catalogue, where in the specs it claims the new SLSMG has a bolt-on neck?

There a lovely collection of guitars you got there Spencer4hire. Haven't seen any good shots of an SLATQH in trans. black, or an SLS in trans. blue, for that matter. Any chance you can post a few more detailed shots of any/all of them?!

Comment

The top on my SLSMG is a veneer. The SLS and SLSMG are both lighter than a standard soloist. They are not "feather light" by any means. I am guessing maybe a pound lighter.Ken I will try and get some better pics up for you but me and my camera have been at odds lately.
              Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55

Comment

Thanks. Whenever your camera comes around to your way of thinking, I'd love to see those pictures. I wonder why guitar companies don't publish decent photos of their gear in all available finishes? Madness.

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                  Thanks. Whenever your camera comes around to your way of thinking, I'd love to see those pictures. I wonder why guitar companies don't publish decent photos of their gear in all available finishes? Madness.
                  I was just browsing - read: GASing - around the Jackson site and wondering about the same exact thing. Like, where's the Black Forest WRMG for example? As you say, madness.

Comment

The flame maple and Eerie Dess Swirl (EDS) SLSMGs were dealer specials. If a dealer orders a large bunch of guitars with "minor" variations on a production version, they get their own special. That's why they don't appear on the Jackson website. I believe that the maple on the SLSMG was a veneer rather than a top (spencer4hire, can you confirm this?), so it's cosmetic and won't effect the sound. Incidentally, the SLATQH has no Alder at all, just Mahogany and Flame Maple!
                    If you say the SLSMG's finish is just a veneer, then what about the ones in transparent black and red? Arent they maple tops?

Sorry, this might sound a little noobish but what's so great about the Eerie dess swirl finish? is it just that is looks cool or is there something else to it?
                    Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                      If you say the SLSMG's finish is just a veneer, then what about the ones in transparent black and red? Arent they maple tops?

Sorry, this might sound a little noobish but what's so great about the Eerie dess swirl finish? is it just that is looks cool or is there something else to it?
                      I guess, I've not been clear enough. Sorry.

The normal black, satin black or inferno red SLSMGs are made of a neck thru piece of maple and a carved mahogany body.

The trans. red. and trans. black limited edition is built the same, but has a maple veneer on top of the mahogany. However it is a veneer (a really thin cover), not a top. As it's a thin piece of maple, it doesn't change the guitar's sound. On the SLATQH the flame maple top is 3/4s of an inch thick (and is itself carved) - it alters the sound because it's such a big lump of wood.

IMO, the trans. finished SLSMGs looked great, even though the maple was only a cosmetic addition.

You're quite right about the Eerie Dess Swirl, it just a graphic finish that looks cool!! Graphic finishes are normally a lot more expensive than plain colours, but as the SLSMG EDS were '05 guitars, this may not be the case with the remaining NOS (new old stock). One of the sponsoring dealers here appears to have 3 for sale:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64530

I'm sure they'd send you photos, if you asked (nicely!).

Comment

Originally posted by ZZB View Post
                        I was just browsing - read: GASing - around the Jackson site and wondering about the same exact thing. Like, where's the Black Forest WRMG for example? As you say, madness.
                        I was thinking of starting a thread suggest that if JCFers took decent photos of their guitars, a section of the gallery could be laid out as guitar/finish. I'm sure with everyone here, you'd almost cover every guitar/finish ever available! For instance, I don't think I've ever seen amber lager burst.

However, Black Forset? Uggg. It's like British Racing Green (basically really dark green). Maybe it's because I'm Irish, but I couldn't face a dark green guitar...

Comment

Ken,
                          Thanks for the detailed description! Would you be able to weigh your SLATQH and give me an exact lb's on its weight? Since I'm an engineer, I like numbers. LOL. Thanks again! I have contacted the Dealer that you suggested regarding the EDS SLSMG.
                          Sam

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if SOMEONE could give you an exact weight on them!

If you read the (long, long) thread that could have been dubbed "the horror of the light weight alder" (it becomes like that from page 2 on) it appears some of the peeps have proper scales:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56151

Good luck with whatever guitar you get.

BTW, I'm a mathematician and I hate numbers...

Comment

BTW, I'm a mathematician and I hate numbers...
                              Now, that's funny. :ROTF:

I guess I should have referred the question to spencer4hire since he's the one with the SLATQH!
                              Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                                Now, that's funny. :ROTF:

I guess I should have referred the question to spencer4hire since he's the one with the SLATQH!
                                Ah, but I have an SLATQH too, just not one in a metal colour

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64282

Of course, I don't have an SLSMG and spencer4hire does. And he has an SLS. Clearly a clever guy...
                                Last edited by ken; 01-08-2007, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X