Newb looking into Jacksons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb looking into Jacksons

hey everyone I'm Luke... I'm looking into a new guitar and have incredibly, somehow come across the RR3 ... ya it's ill. I tried one out today. The weird thing is, I was never really a fan of Jacksons. I actually used to hate them, but now, I can't help but want one REAL bad. Also, I'm not a fan of Rhoades, and I think Randy's overrated (please don't flame... I think he's really good, but not quite as good as he's made out to be... also, I think that Tony Iommi is the only guitarist that Ozzy's played with that isn't overrated)

My main style is metal, any kind, but more than anything else, thrash and death metal. My favorite bands are Lamb of God/Burn the Priest, Pantera, Sepultura, Slayer, Death, Old Metallica, Deicide, Megadeth, Obituary, Napalm Death, Black Label Society and Carcass. I also like Southern, Classic, Progressive and Punk.

I have heard some things about the stock pickups being a little sub-par on the RR3's, so what would be a good replacement set. Right now, I'm thinking either Bill Lawrence's (500XL and 500R, like in my BC Rich) or an EMG set (either 81/81 or 81/85). If I was to get this modification done, What would you guys reccomend?

Also, based on some reviews, I might end up changing the licensed Floyd to an Original. but idk yet, cuz I don't even have enough money for the guitar itself yet.

Thanks a bunch,
    Luke
    "Better to Die Quickly Fighting on Your Feet
    Than to Live Forever Begging on You Knees."-LoG

R.I.P.
    Dimebag Darrell
    Chuck Schuldiner
    Cliff Burton

pick ups your going to get a hundred differnt answers (10 bucks toejam says EMGs) im guessing you have a Solid state amp so i would wait on the EMGs and explorer pick-up their a beatiful thing.
    a floyd swap is not really recommend or needed but it what ever you want. WELCOME brother.
    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

thanks for the welcome man, I'm actually using a tube halfstack.... Peavey Valveking 100 w/ a Peavey MS412 cabinet... its not too bad, I can actually get some good distortion out of it with my Bill LAwrence 500XL.

Really, what I'm asking is, which pickups really compliment the RR3? What sounds sick?

Right now I'm leaning towards the Emg's cuz they get a pretty sick crunch and I'm looking for a LoG (The entire As the Palaces Burn album has the best tone I've ever heard) type sound, and I know they don't use EMG's but I think the sound would be kinda close considering I'm not running a Mesa.
      Last edited by TrendkillDBD; 01-06-2007, 10:02 PM.

R.I.P.
      Dimebag Darrell
      Chuck Schuldiner
      Cliff Burton

Comment

Duncan Distortion and Custom
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
          Duncan Distortion and Custom
          I've heard good things about them... do they get good hamronics? I like to pull some Dimebag whammy squeals every now and then.

R.I.P.
          Dimebag Darrell
          Chuck Schuldiner
          Cliff Burton

Comment

EMGS are hot brother if your running a tube half stack go with the emg. dimebag didn't even use emgs he use well im sure everyone knows

81 is hot 60 has creamy solos but notr the harse LoG sound so anoth 81 in the neck might work well for you
            "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Dime used a Lawrence XL500 IIRC, and then got the Duncan deal when it became impossible to find real XL500s (again, IIRC).

Both the Distortion and Custom get great harmonics, though you may also like a Distortion/JB combo. Same pickup, different magnets, but the JB rocks in the neck.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
                EMGS are hot brother if your running a tube half stack go with the emg. dimebag didn't even use emgs he use well im sure everyone knows

81 is hot 60 has creamy solos but notr the harse LoG sound so anoth 81 in the neck might work well for you
                ya, that's what I was thinking... I've always been a fan of EMG's, so that's probably what I'll end up going with. A little more expensive, but well worth it, and they can get some pretty sick harmonics, too.

Also, I'm looking into it, and Jeff Loomis of Nevermore uses them in his Schecter, and he gets amazing tone as well.
                Last edited by TrendkillDBD; 01-06-2007, 10:52 PM.

R.I.P.
                Dimebag Darrell
                Chuck Schuldiner
                Cliff Burton

Comment

how are the SD distortions for death metal?

R.I.P.
                  Dimebag Darrell
                  Chuck Schuldiner
                  Cliff Burton

Comment

For death metal an Duncan Invader coems to mind.

Comment

I'm checkin out the invader, and it seems like it will suit my needs pretty well. I'll check it out some more...

btw, sorry for my constant commenting, but I really have nothing better to do right now.

R.I.P.
                      Dimebag Darrell
                      Chuck Schuldiner
                      Cliff Burton

Comment

anyone know about the Dave Mustaine LiveWires?

and also, I am currently torn between Crimson Swirl and Trans Red... do they both look as good in person as in pictures? I know its a little more expensive, but I am currently leaning towards a Crimson Swirl... Also, what would a good price be around? The shop I go to is usually pretty cheap, the one I played today was only $500 and it was one of the newer versions with SD's, not Duncan Design pickups.
                        Last edited by TrendkillDBD; 01-06-2007, 11:45 PM.

R.I.P.
                        Dimebag Darrell
                        Chuck Schuldiner
                        Cliff Burton

Comment

Working...
                        X