Hi, newbie with a new DK2M!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, newbie with a new DK2M!

Hi, my name is Steve and I live in Delaware. I used to have a 2000 SL-1 w/ Lightning Sky graphics but in all my wonderful stupidity, sold it.
    I did just get a DK2M from a local music store in PA for a good price and after a few adjustments(lowering JB, adjusting the pickup string screws, leveling the trem) I am loving it The Jackson trem is really staying in tune even though I am pushing it hard.
    I have a problem with the trem arm though. I have another guitar with an OFR trem and it doesn't have this issue. The problem is, after using the trem a couple of times, it gets loose. Loose to where I have to tighten it back down after every 3rd or 4th use of the trem arm. Can anyone think of a fix for this? I am eventually going to replace the trem with a black OFR, but until I can come up with 200 bucks to do so, I want to try to get it to stay in there tighter than it is. I'll screw the arm in as far as possible, then after using it about 3 times, it's real loose. BTW-If I can get it to stay tight, I won't get an OFR, as it is really staying in tune well with both bombs and pull ups.
    Oh yeah, here are a couple pics.

Thanks for any help on the trem issue.
    Steve

What I did was put some teflon tape on the threads for the trem arm. Put just enough that it's a little hard to thread the arm on but not so much that it could cause it to cross thread. I replace the teflon tape about once a year or as needed.

Oh yea, congrats on the new axe. I'm hoping to possibly have one of those sometime soon. I just have to talk myself into overlooking the maple fretboard. (I've always had rosewoods)
    My Toys:
    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
    '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
    '94 Dinky HX in Black
    '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Welcome Steve! That white is so sexy. You could try some thread tape. I had a problem with the arm and ended up wrapped the arm a couple of times. Same with the nut for the arm. gl

um looks like someone beat me to it

Comment

Still love mine, with Dimarzio Super III! Great guitar for the money, needs an OFR though. Keeper!

Last edited by jcm800x; 01-10-2007, 11:19 PM.
        Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Welcome Steve. I have a Snow White DK2M, too. I pulled the SD's out and I'm dropping in EMG's. 85 in the bridge and an 81 or 89 in the neck.

Alvin
          MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

cool guitar! i love the look of them. and the 580LP trem is a good enough IMO. i havent had any problems with mine! id get a DK2M if Jackson werent coming out with that new RR24...gotta save up for that one!
            My metal band Lucian Scott
            Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
            Available Now!
            New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Welcome & Great guitar!

Comment

Originally posted by AdRock View Post
                What I did was put some teflon tape on the threads for the trem arm. Put just enough that it's a little hard to thread the arm on but not so much that it could cause it to cross thread. I replace the teflon tape about once a year or as needed.
                Yep, the teflon plumber's tape will work. Dental floss also works.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

welcome,excellent choice
                  my kids go without food so i can collect guitars

Comment

Hiya Steve!
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Thanks everyone for the welcomes and congrats! Cool place here indeed! I will try the teflon tape and dental floss ideas. Very cool ideas too. I was thinking maybe a drop of crazy glue on the threads would probably do it, but there might come a time when I might need to take the arm off lol.
                      jcm800, that blue one looks sweet! I have a Super Distortion S in my Strat and had a Super Distortion in my LP Standard(sold the guitar w/ it in there). They are great pups. How's the 3 compared to the regular SD?
                      I didn't really like the JB at first, but once I lowered it, it sounds much, much better.
                      RR24, hmmm. I might need to check into that. Sounds cool. Westchester has an RR5 in white with the black beveling.
                      Alvin, I had a Schecter Hellraiser with the EMG 81/85 set. The 81 sounded great in the neck on that guitar. I actually ended up trading that to Westchestermusic. That and a Fender Strat I'm trading to them today will hopefully get me the Gibson Explorer 76RI in Cherry that they have hanging on the wall.
                      Oh yeah, if anyone is interested, they have 2 Orange Tiny Terror's. Those amps sound killer!!

Comment

Haven´t we heard about this a few times regarding these new revised JT580LP´s? The arm being a bit loose, I mean.

Comment

DK2M in white finish simply rules

Comment

Originally posted by Dave L View Post
                            Haven´t we heard about this a few times regarding these new revised JT580LP´s? The arm being a bit loose, I mean.
                            I know there was someone over on the Dean forum that was having a similar problem with his trem on his import ML(don't remember if it was a '79ML or a FBD one.
                            I put the arm from my Kramer 1984 on the DK2M and it didn't loosen up at all. But the shaft is longer on the licensed arm as opposed to the OFR arm. I don't know how that would really affect things too much as it does still go down the hole a good bit. I might order a black licensed FR arm and see how that goes if the tape or floss tricks don't work out.

Comment

Somehow the older JT580LP´s seem to fare better in this area, no? I´ve tried alot of new-ish ones of the old version, never encountering any wobble, and for these new ones wobble almost seems par for the course. I hope I´m reading too much into it, otherwise Jackson might be interested in checking in with whoever is making these now.

Comment

Working...
                              X