EMG wiring for dinky HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG wiring for dinky HELP!!!

Ok so I replaced the cheep dinky humbucker with a EMG a couple of years ago. they had a sale on the humbuckers that metalica used. anyways I wired it up and I dont think it ever worked right.. well to make a long story short it doesnt work right now. it plays ok on distortion when it is in the EMG setting only but does no play well on clean. I have no idea which wire goes to what. does anyone have a schematic I could use.

originaly the dinky had a volume and a tone for one humbucker and two single coil pickups... I then added the EMG which I also added a seperate tone controle and valume controle now really I could do with out this and if I can I would like to know. the schematics that came with the EMG pick up did not have anything close to my wiring. I really love this guitar because it was my first guitar givin to me by my parents when I was 14! and I love it dearly. please help!!

Here you have pretty much all possible emg schematics:

Comment

you rock man! now I just gotta remember which emg I have haha

Comment

silver emg logo = emg 81
        gold logo = emg 85
        red logo = emg 89
        blue logo = emg 60

Comment

EMG 60.. thats what it was

Comment

ok im reading the site but im not sure what to choose? any help in a direction. I have one tone control and a volume control for the EMG pickup and its a EMG 60

Comment

Then go with EMGs with no accessories. You have only one pickup in your guitar and no switch?

Comment

actually I found a few that will work I think the problem is none of them show anything close to the switch I have. I kept the two single coil pickups in the guitar and added the EMG . I also added an individual volume controle for the EMG pickup and a tone control for the emg pickup seperate from the single coil pick ups. if you are familier with jackson selector switches you can see they have like 20 connections on the back of the switch but its only a 5 place selector switch.. single coil near neck only, single coil near neck and mid pickup, mid pickup only, mid pickup and emg humbucker, humbucker only. I kept it this way so I could controle all kinds of different sounds. I just want to know now how to hook it up to that switch.

Comment

looks like this is the closest so far

Comment

you should replace the 2 single coils with EMGs as well. wiring up two passives and an active is going to require two totally different circuits, and thats just too much hassle IMO.

wire up just the EMG for now, then when you get a coule EMG single coils wire them up and you should be fine!
                    My metal band Lucian Scott
                    Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                    Available Now!
                    New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

hmm never thought of it that way. I guess I will try to pick up two singles this weekend.. thanks man!

Comment

no problem dude! i just know that passives wont work with actives like EMGs because of the differences in pot values and such. youd need to wire in a whole 'nother circuit for them, which can get complicated and messy. just best to go one way or the other and make it easy on yourself! LOL good luck! and...wheres some pictures of this guitar?
                        My metal band Lucian Scott
                        Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                        Available Now!
                        New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Working...
                        X