Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DX10D - (Not a "what kind of pickup" thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DX10D - (Not a "what kind of pickup" thread)

Brand new to the forum, and brand new to Jackson... and no, this isn't a "what kind of pickup should I get" thread.

The DX10D I bought of course had the Duncan Designed pickups which were good, but not great. I had been reading a lot about active pickups and decided to dive into the EMG 81/85 rig. Never having done this before, it was no small task. I got through it, everything plays nicely on the first try. One issue though:

Whenever I touch the volume or tone control, I can hear the contact through the amp. I'm assuming this suggests I haven't sufficiently covered a connected wire somewhere and it is touching one of the two pots. Is that fair? I thought I'd get some expert opinion before cracking it back open again. Help is greatly appreciated. I had in the past been a Les Paul player, but wanted something I little heavier (not in weight obviously, LPs are rocks!).

Mark

Either that or check your soldering. Every now and then I would have a little bit of solder breach over between two points a fuck every thing up.

Comment

+1. like he said.
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

PICTURES!!!! i have a Transparent Blue DX10 with the 81/85 combo. i love it!

however, i didnt find the Duncan Designed pickups that bad actually...i did a head to head comparison with my Music Man with a real Duncan Distortion and they were surprisingly similar in tonality, and many of the differences i think were attributed to the hardtail Vs. Floyd. one had more bass and a was a little thicker sounding (EBMM) and one was a little thinner and brighter (Jackson).
        My metal band Lucian Scott
        Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
        Available Now!
        New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Did you change the pots as well? I've got the same problem with an 81 I installed in my son's BC Rich.
          Cheers!

Comment

I did change the pots. Oddly enough, I got home last night and plugged in, and it stopped doing it... weird! I REALLY like the EMGs, the Duncans were alright, but I'm a child of the Ratt/Dokken/etc etc days and really dig the sound now.

My understanding is the pots MUST be changed due to the higher output. Thanks for all the responses!

Comment

Originally posted by mkotcher View Post
              I did change the pots. Oddly enough, I got home last night and plugged in, and it stopped doing it... weird!
              That is weird. Maybe some kind of noise interference from a washer or hair dryer?
              Cheers!

Comment

Yeah, you have to switch to the 25k pots.... Update if/when you find out what is causing the prob, I'm guessing solder as well.

Comment

Working...
                X