Rhoads JRR-94 Pickup Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhoads JRR-94 Pickup Results

I posted a picture of my "modded" Jackson Rhoads JRR-94 a few months ago. I have been struggling to get the sound and tone that I like. I set the truss rod/neck, set the action and inotation to begin with and took a scotchbrite to the back of the neck (to make it nice and slick). The guitar played awesome but the tone left a lot to be desired. I started by yanking the Jackson double coil out and installing a BLUSA pick up that was given to me. It still sounded like the guitar was muddy and muffled. I decided to make the guitar "authentic" and use a DP-100 Dimarzio like Randy used in his Sandavol V. I could not be happier with the result. I guess I got caught up in thinking of the Super Distortion DP-100 as a "vintage" pickup........but it's not. Excellent crunch, searing highs and ringing harmonics. I could not be any happier. If your looking for a hot pickup with equal amounts of low/mid/high I highly recommend this one. (I have also used the Duncan JB but prefer the sound of the DP-100 as it seems brighter).

-B

Thanks for the review!

I've been thinking about a DiMarzio Super D, and I'm actually a little bummed to hear that it has a rather flat EQ. I like pickups with good bite and bucketloads of high mids. The Duncan Distortion is awesome for that - very aggressive sounding. I've gotten interested in the DiMarzio Super 3 lately though (DP152). From what I can see on dimarzio.com, it should have a lot of mids.

Anyway, thanks again - it's always interesting to hear what other players think of a pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
      I like pickups with good bite and bucketloads of high mids.
      Did you try a SH-12 (Screamin' Demon)? I had one once in my Rhoads Pro and that combo fits your description.
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
        Did you try a SH-12 (Screamin' Demon)? I had one once in my Rhoads Pro and that combo fits your description.
        No, I haven't, but I will keep your suggestion in mind! Thanks!
        I suspect the Screamin' Demon would be too low output for my taste, but I figure a PA-2 or a boost pedal would sort it out if that's the case.

Comment

The SH-12 low output?! What are you running your guitar through?.... a dead dog?

I find it hot, plenty for my setup.
          Henrik

Comment

Aww, come on now! It has lower output than a SH-10 Full Shred, and that one is rather tame compared to an SH-6! Besides, I'm a chronic gain junkie y'know.

Btw, my "dead dog" is currently a Marshall 8100. I put the gain at "3 o' clock" (75%) to get that wonderful KD/Mercyful Fate sort of tone.

Comment

Okay there, you Super Gain Junkie. Volt Master. Mr. 11. Boost Whore. Fizzle Ambassador!

Henrik

Comment

The Super D's from the 70s had tons of bass and mids as well as stinging highs.The newer super D's seem to lack the bottom end that the old ones have.JMO.I have a 74 super D in my bullseye Charvie mutt and it is stout as hell.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Dimarzio's rule!
                  Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                    I put the gain at "3 o' clock" (75%) to get that wonderful KD/Mercyful Fate sort of tone.
                    King Diamond and Mercyful Fate kick axe

Comment

Originally posted by shodulik View Post
                      King Diamond and Mercyful Fate kick axe

Comment

Working...
                      X