No announcement yet.

Wired up some Duncan's the other day...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wired up some Duncan's the other day...

I have one of the Japanese Dinky's which came with EMG pickups. I'm really not a fan of that high output "Sterile" sound from EMG's so I threw a JB and a Jazz model in. Re-wired the whole guitar and actually set it up with just the volume and 3-way switch, no tone knobs. Sounds awesome, especially since it's my first guitar wiring project.

Cool! Congrats on your success! It feels good to do it yourself, doesn't it? My first pup installation was swapping out the stock Duncan Designed bridge pup in my DK2 for a Duncan Distortion....WHAT A HUGE DIFFERENCE!

Enjoy!
    E = Fb

Comment

(Yep, It's fun to work on your guitar!)

Just did a wiring change on my Model 3 for a DPDT switch to change
      the two Single coils to series (makes 'em a humbucker) I just wasn't
      using its out-of phase setting enought to be useful.

The sound is really interesting...thinking about a blend pot now.

Bet you had a great time

Cheers!

Son Of Spy
      1976 Gibson Mk53
      1988 Charvel Model 3
      1993 Jackson Dinky Reverse (DR5)

Questions are a burden to others; answers are a prison for oneself.

Comment

Cool! I just swapped in a Duncan Distortion and Hot Rails into my Soloist Pro, and I also thought about leaving the tone knob out. Does it affect the tone much? I also replaced an unused mid-boost knob with a killswitch. It IS fun to work on your own guitars!
        Last edited by usrname; 02-07-2007, 10:22 AM.
        Cheers!

Comment

is that a dkmgt? i think they discontinued that asb finish on that model a while ago. congrats, even if somewhat late.
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

It looks awesome too!

Comment

Originally posted by usrname View Post
              Cool! I just swapped in a Duncan Distortion and Hot Rails into my Soloist Pro, and I also thought about leaving the tone knob out. Does it affect the tone much? I also replaced an unused mid-boost knob with a killswitch. It is fun to work on your own guitars!
              As I understand it, any tone pot in a passive setup will clip a bit of your high end even when turned all the way off. I just like the sound of a humbucker going straight out without clutter. If you have active pup's then it's not a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by madryan View Post
                As I understand it, any tone pot in a passive setup will clip a bit of your high end even when turned all the way off. I just like the sound of a humbucker going straight out without clutter. If you have active pup's then it's not a big deal.
                Yeah, when I first wired it up, I left the tone pot out and the sound was way too bright. So, I wired in the tone pot and a .022 cap. After this it was better, but still too shrill, so I switched to a .047. I don't like what this value did to the tone, so I might have to try another pickup. Maybe an Invader!

Oh, nice finish, BTW.
                Cheers!

Comment

Yeah, when I first wired it up, I left the tone pot out and the sound was way too bright. So, I wired in the tone pot and a .022 cap. After this it was better, but still too shrill, so I switched to a .047. I don't like what this value did to the tone, so I might have to try another pickup. Maybe an Invader!

Oh, nice finish, BTW.
                  If you still like the Duncan Distortion, but just want to kill off a little high end, do this: go back to the .022 cap, and try a 250K volume knob. That will take some of the edge off.

Comment

So last night I started playing and called up a preset I call "Superclean lead" which is mostly just a really nice clean tube with some EQ and reverb. I switched to the Jazz in the neck and was amazed by the clear, bell like tone of the guitar. I mean it sings! I'm stoked!

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                      If you still like the Duncan Distortion, but just want to kill off a little high end, do this: go back to the .022 cap, and try a 250K volume knob. That will take some of the edge off.
                      Thanks, I'll try that. I'm heading over to GC today to pick up an Invader and a 250k ohm pot. If the pot does the trick, I'll just return the pup.
                      Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by madryan View Post
                        So last night I started playing and called up a preset I call "Superclean lead" which is mostly just a really nice clean tube with some EQ and reverb. I switched to the Jazz in the neck and was amazed by the clear, bell like tone of the guitar. I mean it sings! I'm stoked!
                        Cool! What amp or modeler are you playing? I'm on the lookout for nice little amp w/ effects that's quiet enough to play while the kids are asleep.
                        Cheers!

Comment

Thanks, I'll try that. I'm heading over to GC today to pick up an Invader and a 250k ohm pot. If the pot does the trick, I'll just return the pup.
                          I think you should keep both pickups and buy a guitar for each I have some guitars loaded with DD's, but I need one loaded with an Invader.

Comment

Cool! What amp or modeler are you playing? I'm on the lookout for nice little amp w/ effects that's quiet enough to play while the kids are asleep.
                            I currently have my trusty Digitech 2101 preamp that I've owned for a decade or so running into a Tech 21 120watt combo. I really don't like the Tech 21 but my rack power amp is having issues (One channel cutting out randomly)

My normal setup is my digitech run stereo into a Carvin Tube 100 and then out into my Marshall 4X12.

Comment

I was actually planning on doing this to my SLSMG when my Jazz pickup gets in this week nice choices, I got the JB bridge too. How hard was it changing them out?

Comment

Working...
                              X