Wired up some Duncan's the other day...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sakeido View Post
    I was actually planning on doing this to my SLSMG when my Jazz pickup gets in this week nice choices, I got the JB bridge too. How hard was it changing them out?

If you're good at soldering then it's no biggie. Download the appropriate wiring diagram from Seymour Duncan's site and follow it. The hardest part is stripping the pickup leads without cutting through the wires as they're really small. I ended up with just the one volume pot and the switch so the wiring was pretty easy.

I needed a new jack because the passive EMGHZ's I had have a proprietary jack and a preamp built in so a New pot to go where the preamp was and a new jack were all I had to buy. I took out a bunch of extraneous wires and cleaned it all up a bit.

I also had to trim the springs to get the pickups cranked all the way up to where they need to be.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
      I think you should keep both pickups and buy a guitar for each I have some guitars loaded with DD's, but I need one loaded with an Invader.
      Now that's a good idea!

I picked up the Invader yesterday, so I'm going to throw it in tonight. Wish me luck. I think I will just keep both because these are my two favorite pups so far, and I keep switching between the two depending on the guitar.
      Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by usrname View Post
        Cool! What amp or modeler are you playing? I'm on the lookout for nice little amp w/ effects that's quiet enough to play while the kids are asleep.
        Roland Micro Cube. Runs off batteries or AC, built-in effects, decent modeling and it will get reasonably loud if you need to. Great little practice amp.
        My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Comment

^ But the cube sounds so sterile. I used to own a cube 30. I got myself a Line 6 Guitarport. You plug the guitar into the guitarport and the guitarport into the computer. There are many effects and amp models and it does not sound sterile at all. I like it. But with my new slsmg with active emg's I guess the emg's are too powerful or something and all my presets sound way distorted. I have to get a new preset. But its a cool little thing.
          Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
            ^ But the cube sounds so sterile. I used to own a cube 30. I got myself a Line 6 Guitarport. You plug the guitar into the guitarport and the guitarport into the computer. There are many effects and amp models and it does not sound sterile at all. I like it. But with my new slsmg with active emg's I guess the emg's are too powerful or something and all my presets sound way distorted. I have to get a new preset. But its a cool little thing.
            From what I've read, you can't compare a Cube 30 to the Micro. The Micro consistently gets better opinions than the 30 for a small practice amp. I would not say it sounds sterile at all. It's missing low end due to the small speaker, but it can put out a pretty impressive tone for such a small box. The models are pretty good and the effects are usable. I don't want to have to boot up a PC just to practice, and then there's the added noise from a running PC when using passive pickups and high-gain amp models. Noise can get especially bad if I use my single coils and lots of gain.
            My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Comment

Originally posted by cbope View Post
              From what I've read, you can't compare a Cube 30 to the Micro. The Micro consistently gets better opinions than the 30 for a small practice amp. I would not say it sounds sterile at all. It's missing low end due to the small speaker, but it can put out a pretty impressive tone for such a small box. The models are pretty good and the effects are usable. I don't want to have to boot up a PC just to practice, and then there's the added noise from a running PC when using passive pickups and high-gain amp models. Noise can get especially bad if I use my single coils and lots of gain.
              I actually tried the micro out the other day, and I have to say, I was really surprised at the tones that came from this tiny box. Perfect amp to keep next to the couch and just plug in.
              Cheers!

Comment

my micro cube gets more use than anything else.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                X