No announcement yet.

RR 5 Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "screws" in your pickup are polepieces.
    The holes in the pickup covers are meant to let the screw-head polepieces through. The bad news may be that if you have nickled polepieces, they will show through the holes in the gold cover...unless you find a cover that doesn't have the holes. I have seen that type of cover also, but I can't recall where.

Comment

Thanks guys so much. I'm learning here. Ok just a question or two more and I think I'm all set. I'm seeing these two sizes of cover, 1 15/16" & 2" mostly on the web. Any idea which size I want (I'm using the standard pups on the rr5)? What is the opionions on the covers and polepeices? I understand with the hole I'll see the nickel polepeices but will still have the ability to make adjustments. How badly will the non hole covers reduce my sound/tone?

Comment

Originally posted by TinTin8 View Post
        i dont think that would happen.
        the covers on the Jbs are oxidized i belive; so the gold is now part of the cover( more or less)

Not knockin ya, but do you "think" or do you know? Do you "believe" or is it "more or less"??? I,m just quoting you, quoting me. That doesn't sound like a very good answer................
        "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

Originally posted by Pigsnatcher View Post
          Excellent, I didn't realize that they were made in gold. Now I just have to talk the wife into letting me buy them. It kinda sucks that I have to spend $200 for something I pretty much alreaddy have. I guess thats the price you pay for beauty,lol. Thanks guys. Also I'm liking the jazz idea for the neck, I'll have to look and see if they come in gold as well. Man this thing is gonna be pretty one day!

I have a Jazz in the neck of my RR5 also, but I didn't go Gooooooold. (Goldmember ) Anyway's if you want to save yourself $200 bucks, talk to Brian at www.universaljems.com and get yourself a set of Gold "bobbin-toppers" at 2 bucks apiece that won't flake off. They just stick on...........
          Last edited by 777; 02-07-2007, 04:36 PM.
          "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

Originally posted by 777 View Post
            Not knockin ya, but do you "think" or do you know? Do you "believe" or is it "more or less"??? I,m just quoting you, quoting me. That doesn't sound like a very good answer................
            +1. Yeah, that sounded strange to me as well.

I don't doubt that the gold on the Duncans is applied by an oxidization process. Gold plating has been done that way for ages - it's standard practice. While the plating material does bond with the item, it will still wear off. Especially gold, because it's so soft.

Unless Duncan plates them with something that just looks like gold, but is harder.

Comment

The bobbing toppers is kind of a neat thing. Its not really the look I'm going for but pretty cool. I think I'm going to give the covers a shot since I find out that I can infact do that. My only concern is how its going to effect my sound. I guess if I don't like them though I can just heat the solder up and take them back off. I'm think I'll got for the solid ones without the holes.Thanks everybody for your input, it was very helpful and I definatly learned something here!

Comment

You can probably try them on first (without soldering them) and see what they do to your sound. Good luck!

Comment

Reading this and thinking ahead to when I get my RR5, those bobbin toppers look pretty sweet. Does anyone have experience with these? Are they easy and clean to take off if you don't like them?

Comment

Working...
                  X