Invader in Solosit Pro =

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invader in Solosit Pro =

I've been struggling with the brightness in my Soloist Professional lately. Although, I really like the Duncan Distortion, I think the Floyd Rose along with the DD I had in there just produced too much high end for me. I did try different pot and cap values, but I still wasn't totally happy with the sound.

Last night, I installed the SH-8 Invader in the bridge and I was in tone heaven. It had a hot, thick tone with a deep low end. I can see how some people might say that it's muddy. In the wrong guitar or amp setup, it can be, but the added bass allowed me to turn my treble and presence up on my amp, which really cleared things up. I was never able to turn these settings higher because the sound would get too damn bright, even with other guitars.

Compared to the DD, it's smoother to my ears, and not as percussive. It's like the bass and treble are reversed on these two models - but just as hot. Now the tone is perfect, just what I've been looking for.

I just thought I'd post my results for those who might be having the same problem. Now I'm going to tackle performing my own setup for the first time, mainly because I don't feel like paying a tech to do it anymore. Do you guys recommend that "key" thingy for the Floyds or will I be ok without it? Wish me luck!
    Cheers!

Cool. I put a pair of Invaders in an old Kelly XL a few years back... great low end mid and bass punch without being muddy!
    As far as the Key, I've got one, but I haven't used it yet. Guess I should try it on my next string change and see how well it works.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have an Invader in a Warlock Supreme and I really like it. I have been wanting to but on in J/C guitar ever since. I don't know what the key is so I can't help you there.
      Just one more guitar!

Comment

I have two invaders in my dkmgt. One that I bought sometime in the late 80's and one that I pulled from a fender esquire custom. The bridge sounds great, the neck sounds a little weak.
        Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

Glad to see some other Invader users out there.
          Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Ripley7t View Post
            I have two invaders in my dkmgt. One that I bought sometime in the late 80's and one that I pulled from a fender esquire custom. The bridge sounds great, the neck sounds a little weak.
            I actually had an esquire with the racing stripe. I thought it was a pretty cool guitar, even if it was made in China.
            Cheers!

Comment

I played a Model 6 with one and loved it! Very nice pickups.

Comment

I had an Invader in a Charvel Fusion Deluxe I sold recently. Really liked the pickup a lot. I'm using an Invader again, definetely. Not for everyone, every guitar or every style, but a viable option for a replacement pickup.

Like usrname said, it's cool to know that others have found the Invader to their liking too.

Wouldn't put one in my Soloist Pro though.

Comment

Originally posted by ZZB View Post
                  Wouldn't put one in my Soloist Pro though.
                  Why not?
                  Cheers!

Comment

I forgot to add that I'm using a 500k volume and 250k tone with no cap. I thought about bypassing the tone pot, but I like the sound right now.
                    Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                      As far as the Key, I've got one, but I haven't used it yet. Guess I should try it on my next string change and see how well it works.
                      +1 I'm a lazy F**k and haven't gotten around to setting up all of my axes. Good thing I'm tone deaf

Comment

Originally posted by usrname View Post
                        Why not?
                        I'm sorry, I didn't mean that as a general comment on the suitability of Invaders on Soloist Pros. I just really really like the stock pickups and the midboost on the Soloist and it's such a nice instrument I'd rather not fuck with it. You know what I mean? I guess I'm in awe of the thing still.

On the Fusion I mentioned, I coupled the Invader with a Ducan SSL-7. They seemed like a nice pair.

Comment

Originally posted by ZZB View Post
                          I'm sorry, I didn't mean that as a general comment on the suitability of Invaders on Soloist Pros. I just really really like the stock pickups and the midboost on the Soloist and it's such a nice instrument I'd rather not fuck with it. You know what I mean? I guess I'm in awe of the thing still.

On the Fusion I mentioned, I coupled the Invader with a Ducan SSL-7. They seemed like a nice pair.
                          I know what you mean, that's how I feel about my PRS. Mine had already been modded with an OFR and I didn't care for the stock electronics, so I already knew I would be messing with it.
                          Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                            +1 I'm a lazy F**k and haven't gotten around to setting up all of my axes. Good thing I'm tone deaf
                            Glad I'm not the only one!
                            :ROTF:
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                              Glad I'm not the only one!
                              :ROTF:
                              Is there a Tone Deaf Lazy F**k Club I could join too? Our motto: "Setup - Close Enough is Enough".

Comment

Working...
                              X