Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did they start buffing the rosewood boards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did they start buffing the rosewood boards?

I recently bought a DK-2 neck (from a 2005 model), and it has the finest rosewood board I've ever seen! The fretboard is really shiny(!), and the grain pattern isn't nearly as pronounced as on the older guitars I have. The feel of the fretboard is VERY smooth, and if I had been blindfold tested on it, I would probably have guessed that the board was anything BUT rosewood.

It's clear they put a lot of effort into sanding and buffing the rosewood on the DK-2! I was planning to stain this fretboard black, but now I'm not going to (because it looks awesome). Do they do this to the Pro-series only, or the other lines as well? When did they start doing it?

I have had many guitars with rosewood boards, including my current two mains - the Charvel M6 and Charvel 750XL. They were the "top of the line" imports at the time they were produced. I also briefly had a Rhoads EX and later a 1998 Jackson RR-X. None of those guitars had boards that were anything out of the ordinary. In fact, none of them come close to this DK-2 neck. I'm really impressed with the attention to detail that the japanese factory has put into this neck! Its only "flaw" is that the fret ends are a little sharp to the touch.

my dk2 is perfect the rosewood is much better looking then my les paul
    Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
    Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Yeah, I had an SG a few years back - same story there. I honestly can't recall having seen any rosewood board being this well polished.

Comment

Agreed, the neck looks really polished and wonderful. The DK-2 really blew me away on quality.
        - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

My DKMGT is totally smooth and its a 2003. The best board that I have ever had on a guitar I owned was a Les Paul Custom Lite with an ebony board. It actually felt like it was made of graphite. I loved that guitar.
          Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

My DK-2 FB is that way also. At times I think it looks almost artificial, but it is very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              My DK-2 FB is that way also. At times I think it looks almost artificial, but it is very nice.
              That's how the rosewood on my KVX10 looks. It almost looks like some kind of fake veneer. My DKMG is similar but not to the same extant. My 90's Jacksons and Charvels all have rosewood that is much more "grainy". Loser sort of. I always wondered if this was due to age, a different type/grade of rosewood, or just a different finishing technique.

Karl

Comment

The board on my DK2T doesn't have much striping in it and on first quick inspection I've had 2 people think it's Ebony. It's Rosewood but it's very dense.
                My Toys:
                '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
                '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
                '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
                '94 Dinky HX in Black
                '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

I would like to see pics of Adrock's & Sunbane's.
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                    I would like to see pics of Adrock's & Sunbane's.
                    I will try to take photos if I can borrow a decent camera. I only have my mobile cam, and if sucks a whole lot.

I will try to describe it the best I can: The typical rosewood grain is there, but it looks less pronounced than your average rosewood board, and there's this semi-glossy look all over it. It looks "waxy" sort of, and it really brings out the color of the wood.

Originally posted by memphiskat View Post
                    That's how the rosewood on my KVX10 looks. It almost looks like some kind of fake veneer.
                    Now that you say it, I think the waxiness makes it resemble plastic a little. I don't think it is a veneer though, because I can see the raw (glue covered) rosewood under the overhang at the end.

When comparing this neck to my 1998 RR-X (from memory), I can also tell right away that the inlays are better done; they follow the routes more closely. What's more; on the RR-X you could tell by feel that the inlays were flatter than the neck radius. Not so on this DK-2 neck. You can however still feel the edge of the inlays when you run your nail over them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                      Now that you say it, I think the waxiness makes it resemble plastic a little. I don't think it is a veneer though, because I can see the raw (glue covered) rosewood under the overhang at the end.
                      Nobody thought GMW used veneers on fretboards either.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Some pics. I had difficulties getting one that accurately represents what it looks like. These are the ones that came out the best.

Doh! The camera took focus on the table cloth!

Comment

Well, my digital camera kinds sux for close up pics but I did the best i could. The board looks darker in person than it does in the pics.

My Toys:
                          '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
                          '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
                          '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
                          '94 Dinky HX in Black
                          '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Working...
                          X