Jackson ID help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson ID help

A friend of mine has a bit older Jackson Dinky which he has said he bought new about 5-6 years ago. Compared to my '04 DK2, it is substantially different, and I am curious about the model year of his guitar because it doesn't seem to work out based on how long he's owned it. I've browsed the catalog scans going back to the early '90's and still didn't really find anything that nailed it dead on.

It is black, with a rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays. The inlays are centered on the board, not offset along the low E side of the neck. No binding on neck or headstock. 2 humbuckers (believed original) with no names or logos on the outside. 3 way blade switch, 1 vol, 1 tone. It has Professional on the headstock which is not reversed. The neck serial plate is some kind of cast or formed metal plate which is unpainted silver around the edges where it is raised and black in the center which is thinner than the edges. In other words, the center is a relief. The Jackson logo in the middle of the plate is raised and silver. I don't have the serial on hand at the moment, but I can scratch that down if necessary at the next rehearsal.

The dot inlays throw me off the most, because they are not that common in the last few years. Based on the catalog scans, it looks most like an early 90's Professional... 92-95 seem quite similar.

RacerX... help me out here!
    My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

How many frets?
    What type of bridge (Floyd-style, stringthrough/TOM, or v-trem)?

If it's a 92-95, the serial will start with a 2,3,4, or 5
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

A pic would be nice...
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
        How many frets?
        What type of bridge (Floyd-style, stringthrough/TOM, or v-trem)?

If it's a 92-95, the serial will start with a 2,3,4, or 5
        Pretty sure it's a 24 fret neck. The bridge is a double locking licensed, probably a 580 or 590 based on memory, definitely not a low-pro. It is recessed and not top mounted. It has black hardware. I can verify these details later in the week during rehearsal.
        My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Comment

If it has "Professional" on the headstock, then it was definitely not new when he bought it. Possibly NOS, but not new.

Comment

Need to correct my "facts" here. Guess my memory ain't what it used to be

It's definitely a Fusion of some type. It's got a 24 fret 24.75 scale neck. The dot inlays ARE along the low E string side of the fingerboard, not centered. The serial number starts 93...

I checked the catalog scans and found some similar Fusions. In the 92-93 catalogs, it's quite similar to the Fusion STD/Standard. But it has a 3-way blade switch, not the toggle like shown in the catalog. Also, it does not have anything printed on the truss rod cover, it's plain black. Trem looks to be a 590. Sorry about lack of pics, I didn't have my camera today.

Comment

Is it a 1992 Fusion Plus? This was offered in plain Black finish: (the one in the middle)

Comment

Very likely that's it. That scan is too low res to read the text, but if it's got a 590 trem that that's it. It's quite strange that during the early 90's MIJ period Jackson used both 580 and 590 trems and sometimes even mixed them in the same model series, i.e. some Fusions have the 580 while some have the 590. Also, it seems that there is no logo on the pups and trussrod cover, so that's a match also.

RacerX... does that 93... serial match up with a 92 model?

Comment

the Plus didn't come with a 3-way. it had the Jackson Megaswitch to provide a couple of coil split options
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                    the Plus didn't come with a 3-way. it had the Jackson Megaswitch to provide a couple of coil split options
                    I'm not familiar with megaswitch, would it happen to be a 5-way switch? That's what it has.

Comment

Working...
                    X