Am I Missing Something Here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I Missing Something Here?

Today I switched between my Ibanez RG5EX1 and my Jackson DK2T and noticed something odd. The Ibanez weighs a LOT moe than the DKK2T. The Ibanez is H-S-H with a Edge III trem, 24 fret Maple/Walnut neck, and is made of basswood. The Jackson is H-H, 24 Fret Maple Neck, String-thru, and Alder. Now I know hte locking trem probably more than makes up for the amount of wood that was cut out of the Ibanez to make room for it, but we're talking a basswood guitar here that is heavier than an alder guitar. Now I dont have a way to weigh them besides taking them apart, putting them on the scale, and adding the sum total together (and I'm not foing that), but why would the Ibanez be heavier than my Jackson?

of course basswood is heavier than alder. I know EXACTLY what you are talking about because I had a Ibanez RG350DX with basswood and a floyd type trem and it weighed a ton more than the Jackson DKMGT which I played at a local guitar store. The floyd, locking nut, body, all contribute to the heavier weight IMO. i think unless yours is a S series Ibanez, its is thicker and bigger than the DK2T's body too.
    Sam

Comment

The Ibanez has nearly 4 pounds of paint on it to prevent the Basswood body from denting.
      My RG 560 is a heavy guitar. I chiped the paint a few years ago by accident and noticed that it is nearly 1/8" thick.
      -Rick

Comment

Ahh thanks, had me a little concerned there. And while the paint on the Ibanez is thick, the lettering isnt. It already has a stratch in it from a string change

Comment

Yea... the headstocks don't have a thick clearcoat on them.
          -Rick

Comment

Basswood (Tilia americana):
            This is a lighter weight wood normally producing Strat® bodies under 4 lbs. The color is white, but often has nasty green mineral streaks in it. This is a closed-grain wood, but it can absorb a lot of finish. This is not a good wood for clear finishes since there is little figure. It is quite soft, and does not take abuse well. Sound-wise, Basswood has a nice, growley, warm tone with good mids. A favorite tone wood for shredders in the 80s since its defined sound cuts through a mix well.
            Just one more guitar!

Comment

im glad i have a 01 RG320QSTR Ibanez,the weight comes from the Mahoghany body,not the transparent red paint
              http://www.myspace.com/deadsoldier2

Comment

Working...
              X