Incoming...Sl2H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incoming...Sl2H

Sam Ash Sl2h. Though It doesn't look like the pic above from the website.

It has coutour cutaways, the knobs/switch aren't recessed, and it is a burst type finish. One of the things I liked is that it has an OFR.

Anyway, it should be here today. I had it overnight shipped. I'll post some pics once it arrives.
    sigpic

I want one of those. You will have to give us a review when you get it.
    Just one more guitar!

Comment

Why they are allowed to call those imports "SL2H" is totally beyond me, especially since the SL2H is an existing USA model. "SLAT2H" would be a more correct designation, since it has an archtop.

But in any case, it is a kickass guitar.
      Looking forward to pics and a review!

Comment

I agree. I wouldn't really call it a Sl2h either.
        sigpic

Comment

If it's anything like mine, you you will love it. It is the only guitar I've touched in the last 3 months. Congrats man, can't wait to see your pics.

Comment

when did they sell those?

Comment

They are currently for sale. They have had them for a few months.

Comment

Well I just got it..

First impression is, it isn't as blue as it looks in the pics. The rosewood fretboard has a finish applied to it. Wierd.

It plays well enough. I'll have to check it out some more and take some pics later. I bought this to go with my SL2H custom shop. Hopefully it will keep some wear off of the custom guitar...yea right.
                sigpic

Comment

Hmm, its close to $1100. I have seen some brand new sl2's (US) sell on eBay for $1300 with warranty and everything. Is $200 lower worth buying a import?
                  Sam

Comment

No.

But at least the pups lineup and the routes are done properly. So there are things that make it better than alot of USA guitars I've seen.

Besides If I don't like it. I'll just send it back and get something else. This one was unique in that it has a real floyd.
                    Last edited by S-man; 03-13-2007, 04:42 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                      Hmm, its close to $1100. I have seen some brand new sl2's (US) sell on eBay for $1300 with warranty and everything. Is $200 lower worth buying a import?
                      I think those days are pretty much over. I've hardly even seen any used soloists for under 1300 recently which makes me sad.

Comment

I was watching a Cherry (sunburst) SL2HT for a long time on eBay. the guy had it on eBay brand new with full warranty and he first listed it for $1499. It didnt sell. then he listed it for $1200 and it sold in an instant with buy it now. His name was listed on Jackson's website as an authorised dealer too! Too bad I was bent upon acquiring a trans black sl2ht and lost this one.

there's one right now at starting price of $1300.
                        Last edited by emperor_black; 03-13-2007, 05:55 PM.
                        Sam

Comment

Yeah and that's ebay, solid color soloist are going for around 1400 after you pay for shiipping and...it's ebay.

Matt would probably be a better route to go to get a good new USA soloist.

So anyway...

The laquer or wahtever it is finish on the rosewood fretboard is cheesy. The factory strings suck. The fretboard has 2 small chips on under frets 19 and 20. There is some kinda of "stuff" on the bass side of fret number 7. I can see file marks or something across the grain of the fretboard here and there. The fret end are finished but could be better. Some frets look like they could have been cut more perpindicular to the fretboard. The mother of toilet bowl fret marker are inlayed well and are straight and symmetrical. The fret leveling from the factory is above average. There is a little bit of glue from the fret installation here and there. Also a couple a small anomolies in the clearcoat finish on the fretboard. Why do they put clear over rosewood anyway? Strange. The binding work is just ok and has some small blemishes/marks/streaks along the fretboard.

The pups and bridge lineup well. The routes are good. The floyd has black post unlike the guitar in the pic above. Though the heads on the posts are smaller than what you see on a USA guitar. The trem works well and stays in tune. The bar does have a tiny bit of slack even when tightened to where the bar does not swing freely. The pull up range is slightly limited compared to other guitars. Overall the trem works well. ALOT better than the trem that comes on, say a ...DK2M. The trem bar on that sucks big time.

The nut is nice and tight and there is no open string buzz. I've seen crappy nuts on imports and usa guitars. All of the electrics work smoothly and there is no noise from any of the pots or switches, etc.

The finish looks good and free of imperfections. There is some compound? residue at the neck joint , Ive seen this on almost every Jackson. It usually cleans up. The flame top is not impressive, it's just a minimum grade maple flame. Nothing to write home about.

Playibilty.... The guitar sounds good plugged in and acoustically. It sounds brighter acoustically. Amplified it could be a little brighter, of course, that's just an opinion. The crappy factory strings could have something to do with this.

The feel of the fretboard is good when playing. The neck is similiar to a USA Soloist, but it seems a tad thicker and shaped a little differant. It also gets a little thicker at the upper frets. It is neck thru with a scalloped neck joint. The scallop is fine and allows for easy acces to the upper frets. More than I need... I can play a Square heeled bolt on. Though, like I said the neck gets a little thick towards the upper range.

Even still, the guitar plays smoothly. That's probably it's best attribute...overall playibilty.

That's all for now... I add some pics and more comments later.

Last edited by S-man; 03-13-2007, 05:59 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

For the love of god... PICS PLEASE!

Comment

Originally posted by z1n View Post
                              For the love of god... PICS PLEASE!
                              +1

Btw, S-Man...are you sure that's a finish on the fretboard? My 2005 DK-2 neck has a rosewood fretboard that seems to have been highly buffed/polished. It's shinier and slicker than any other rosewood fretboard I've had my hands on. When I read your post about your fretboard, it immediately sprang to mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X