Ok, I know....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, I know....

Alright I know there have been others who have asked to those who have played the Mark Morton Sig model what the neck is like. However, I am curious (for those who have either tried or own the sig) how the neck is if you like to play shred style licks and such? Do you find this type of neck easier to make fast lick runs or is easier to hit chords etc. Now I have heard the neck is a bit bigger than other Jackson sigs which makes me curious because I do not have gigantic hands and I do like to play songs that require difficult and fast runs up and down the neck. I appreciate any input.

i've heard their thick, like gibson thick..............and this is where joe pops in and show pics and offers advice................ also mark morton is a big mutha, so his hands are huge
    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

I'm only 5'5" and my hands are kinda on the small side, but I like the thick neck. It seems a little thick and wide, not really too round. I can pretty much get used to any kind of neck, but if a neck is too thin, my hand will start to cramp up. Hamer did a study many years back about how a rounder, thicker neck will give your hand a better, natural grip, and I believe that. I don't find it hard to play any kind of chords or licks at all. I bought mine without trying one first, but you may want to see if you can find one to try to see if it's to your liking first. Also, don't know if it would matter to you, but the frets are smaller (medium jumbo) and not jumbo like Jackson's site claims.
      Here's the thread with my review. http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66699
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I appreciate your comments. I wish I could try one before buying but the stores around here don't stock the Morton. It seems like they have every other guitar but that one. I am just concerned about the neck because I've played Jackson V styled necks and found it very easy to move up and down the fretboard. However in terms of versatility and sound I really like the idea of the Morton but I am a bit hesitant because of the neck being thicker.

Comment

New nickname: Little Joe

Yee haw! Yor littler than that thar NextInLine fella, HAW HAW HAW!
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Joe - Would you say it's thinner than the JCF-01 neck, or the same? As I understand it, that was also the same as a FB-2 neck profile.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I've found that I'm equally fast on any neck (provided they all have a nice semi-low string height all over). The neck back shape doesn't impact your speed or technique very much at all IMO. It's more of a preference thing - if something feels better in your hand, you will be more comfortable playing it.

My old Vantage beater has a neck shape I really hate. It feels like a plank - chunky and unappealing. I feel like I'm wrestling it each time I play. However, I'm still just as fast on that, as I am on my favourite Carvel.

Like Toejam mentioned, too thin necks will also make my hand cramp up after a while. This is the main reason I finally sold my late 90's import RR. I can play my Charvel neck-thrus for hours on end, until my figertips go sore, and their necks are just a little thicker.

One thing that does impact my playing, is fret size. Too small frets, and I can't do bends and vibratos properly. That is another issue that I have with my old Vantage. I swear I'm going to use that neck to try my hand at scalloping.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                Joe - Would you say it's thinner than the JCF-01 neck, or the same? As I understand it, that was also the same as a FB-2 neck profile.
                Not really sure. I only picked up Ken's old JCF-01 years ago and quickly checked it out, I didn't really play it. And I've never played an FB-2.

According to Jackson's site, the MM1's dimensions are... 3rd fret: .910", 12th fret: .950"

The PC1's dimensions are... 3rd fret: .825", 12th fret: .890"

Comment

sounds like a les paul 60's neck,
                  "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

A part of me is hesitant because of the neck and I don't have a way to try it out first but the other part of me is saying just do it. It just sounds like it is so versatile and that is one of the big things that has me torn between should I or shouldn't I.

Comment

Yeah, it sucks not many dealers have these yet to try out. I think it's a love it or hate it thing with the shape, and probably the dealers don't want to get stuck with them in their inventory for fear of not selling. I got mine for a great price from a forum dealer and couldn't pass it up, so I just went for it.

Comment

buy it, buy it, but it, but it, buy it, BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUUUYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YY IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you can always return it anyways

Comment

Now the thing is where should I buy it?? Because I would like to get the best deal I can. Plus I don't really have a Jackson dealer around where I live.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
                            i've heard their thick, like gibson thick..............and this is where joe pops in and show pics and offers advice................ also mark morton is a big mutha, so his hands are huge
                            I don't know about his hands but I was standing next to him last night at the Lamb show in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. He's not big at all. Actually, hes rather short. I'd say about 5'6" to 5'7"...
                            I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by JTD View Post
                              Now the thing is where should I buy it?? Because I would like to get the best deal I can. Plus I don't really have a Jackson dealer around where I live.
                              I got mine from Nick (forum member Jacksonite) at Piney Hills Music. Click the Dealers link at the top of this site for one of our board sponsor dealers. Matt's Music, Matt at Online Stage Gear or Nick at Piney Hills are all great to deal with. Any one of them will be able to order one for you if they don't have one in stock. Scott at Vwallguitars.com is also another great dealer.
                              There's plenty around to choose from if you check on Jackson's website, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X