Kevin Bond RR pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin Bond RR pickup?

I'm looking to buy a used Kevin Bond RR - but this guitar has a EMG 81 in it instead of the usual Duncan Iommi humbucker. The owner says he bought it that way from the dealer new, and that the earliest produced KBRRs came with the EMG in it. Has anyone ever heard/seen of the early KBRRs coming with the EMG stock? I'm just worried if the pickup has been changed out, what else has been done to the guitar that I might not find untill later on.

AFAIK, it's always been the Iommi.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

+1. The guy is feeding you bull.

Comment

I've never heard of EMG equipped KBRRs either.

With regards to your worries... there's not much that can be done to a neck-thru, one hum, hard-tail, one knob guitar. The KBRR is a stripped down, no nonsense axe, where any mod would be easily spotted.
        Henrik
        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

maybe it's a mis-labeled rr24?
          "Better to Die Quickly Fighting on Your Feet
          Than to Live Forever Begging on You Knees."-LoG

R.I.P.
          Dimebag Darrell
          Chuck Schuldiner
          Cliff Burton

Comment

Originally posted by TrendkillDBD View Post
            no way you can mistake the pentagram inlays on the KB for a RR24....
            Sam

Comment

Originally posted by TrendkillDBD View Post
              Impossible. The Kevin Bond model only has 22 frets.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

a decent swap..........i'd take the 81 out and put a 89 for more tonal capabilities
                "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

I'd snag an Iommi to put back in there. That's a good sounding pickup
                  1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

WOW! Thanks for the input guys! So it seems I'm being blown a whole lot of happy smoke by the seller. I would have never known if you guys hadn't helped me...So does anybody know why Jackson doesn't have an email address or phone number for customer support listed on their website? I contacted 6 dealers and 1 service center in my area and came up with less information than when I started!

Comment

Originally posted by Codswallop1 View Post
                      The owner says he bought it that way from the dealer new, and that the earliest produced KBRRs came with the EMG in it.
                      It's not unheard of for dealers to swap out pickups if that's what a customer wants.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Codswallop1 View Post
                        So does anybody know why Jackson doesn't have an email address or phone number for customer support listed on their website?
                        We used to have a ph # posted here. I think it was in the now-defunct Ask Jackson area. I think it's (602) 596-9690.

But, as you are finding out, the collective knowledge here at the JCF will be your best resource.
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                        X