Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what would be considered the bang-for-the-buck Jackson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what would be considered the bang-for-the-buck Jackson?

Hey guys, what would be considered a great value Jackson guitar (used of course) that could be had, say for $200-300?

I'm really having a hard time deciphering the Jackson nomenclature and once I think I have it, I realize that I don't know whether the guitar is any good or not :-/

You have Concepts, PS series, JS series, X series, JD series, Fusions, etc. Are any of these a great buy?

I guess if I could describe it in the Ibanez world, it's considered that a used RG550 or 570 is a great deal considering what you get for the money. And for a hard tail, the newer RG321s and RG2EX1s are a great value.

I guess it comes down to a guitar with a solid body, good trem, decent stock pups and good build quality (Japanese would be preferable). The other big one is that the guitar has gone down in value enough that you can get it for what seems like a fraction (50%+ discount?) of its original retail price.

Just looking for some guidance here...I'll do plenty of research once you guys point me in the right direction

As an example, I was looking at a PS-4, but I see underwhelming reviews of this guitar on the forum and I don't want to waste my time and money if it's going to sound and feel cheap.

Thanks!

Well, what are you after? Body shape? Trem or no trem? # of frets?

Comment

The 90's Jackson professional series are all great for the money

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
        Well, what are you after? Body shape? Trem or no trem? # of frets?
        Good point. Super strat/dinky shape w/o pick guard, 24 frets, and I'd be open to a hardtail, but Floyd would be fine assuming the quality is decent (is it the JT590s that are good?, schaller, kahler is fine too). Sharkies are a plus, but not necessary...I don't care whether its a reverse headstock or not.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Yoder View Post
          Good point. Super strat/dinky shape w/o pick guard, 24 frets, and I'd be open to a hardtail, but Floyd would be fine assuming the quality is decent (is it the JT590s that are good?, schaller, kahler is fine too). Sharkies are a plus, but not necessary...I don't care whether its a reverse headstock or not.

Thanks!
          You should look into these models: DK2, DK2T, DXMG, DKMG, DKMGT. Maybe you'll find one for 200-300 used somewhere. I wouldn't recommend Perfomer series (PSx), because some of them were made in Korea, also you should stay out of the JS30 series, made in India.

Some older Charvel guitars fit your description too. I don't know what models exactly, maybe someone else can tell more about them.

Yes, JT590 are the good floyds, they were found on older PRO series Jacksons and some of the Charvels. Bad thing is that you probably won't find a JT590 equipped guitar for 200-300. More like a 300-400 novadays, unless you're extremely lucky

Comment

Thanks. I'm up to par on the Charvels, but it's the Jacksons that I struggle with...maybe due to their funky names?

I'm familiar with the DKMGT and they do seem nice, but I'll check out the DK and DK2. Are these considered Professional series or no?

Comment

Oh, I guess I'll stay away from the Performer series. Sounds too "Squier-like" to me...

Comment

Originally posted by Yoder View Post
                Are these considered Professional series or no?
                Yes, they are current Professional series. But not as good as 90s Professional were. Check this: http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/proconfusion.htm

Comment

i'd try and looks around for a Dk2 used and abused. but keep your eyes open, and paypal funds to par. you will never know what pops up.
                  "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Don't forget the Jackson Dinky Reverse Professional from early '90s. They sell for the $200-$300 range routinely. Japan made with nice thin necks.
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/JACKSON-DINKY-RE...QQcmdZViewItem
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/Jackson-Dinky-Re...QQcmdZViewItem
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/Jackson-Dinky-Re...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

You could probably also find a japanese DX10D in that range. They are the HH Dinky's with jt580lp trem, reverse sharkins, no binding

Comment

+1 on the DX10D

I own one. I have trouble putting it down. I know it's all a matter of personal taste, etc., but AFAIC, the DX10D is way up there on the best bang for the buck list for imports. Even more so if you are looking recent/new.
                        In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

Thanks! That's a big help. Two of these are in the Tampa bay area too!

Comment

Sorry, I meant to quote MountainDog's ebay post. I'll check out the DX10D too!

Comment

DX10D...i love mine, and its probably one of the cheapest guitars i own (got it for 330 scratch n' dent hah!) mines a 2006 model with the 580 trem (not Lo-Profile), although the scratch n' dent i got before this one (which had the headstock broken by UPS) had a 580LP. so it depends on what year. the Japan models (up to july of last year) had Alder bodies (mines alder, it was made before the cutoff) and the newer ones have basswood.

i also know that some trems feel better than others. the 580 on my Dinky is very stiff, but my 580LP on my RR3 is nice and smooth...and ive seen both in stores as well. not a biggie...im going to put an OFR on the Dinky one of these days. no problems with tuning though...its rock solid
                              My metal band Lucian Scott
                              Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                              Available Now!
                              New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Working...
                              X