Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what would be considered the bang-for-the-buck Jackson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I figured it would be better to post here than start a new thread, because I'm really covering old ground (plus the fact I'm a noob and trying not to piss too many people off).

This is going to be about Randy Rhoads models, because that's what I want... shark inlays, two pups, tremolo...

I've tried to get the RR models sorted out, and the more I read the more confused I get. It seems the USA-made ones are best, followed by the Japanese ones, then there's the Korean versions, and at the bottom of the heap are the ones made in India. So far, so good. Now comes confession time: I broke down and bought one [yeah, eBay] based on seller reputation, it was listed as a "Pro Edition", had the twin pups [EMGs, which I'll probably swap out], Floyd trem, shark inlays...

Well, it arrived. WTF? It doesn't say "Professional" "Pro" or anything else on it; it does say "Floyd Rose" on the trem, the S/N on the neck plate is 99070195 (which is either Japan or India, according to another thread). Shame on me for not emailing questions to the seller before bidding.

So, did I get took?

I have mixed feelings; I like how she plays (have to track down a buzz on the low E, though), and she's in decent shape (a couple of small dings). I don't like the fact that the trem arm is missing, and that if I put a cover on the back I'm going to need to rework the trem springs, 'cause if you sight along the body you can see the springs are above the cavity about 1/16".

As long as I didn't get taken too bad I could enjoy this guitar - but I don't want to make the same mistake when I buy my next Rhoads.

Last - like Jack, I tend to go for cheap (but unique) guitars. I have a few gems in my herd ('68 Gibson SG standard, '72 Tele w/Custom Shop neck), but I also have a few clunkers that were under $200 that are fantastic and fun to play.

Thanks for putting up with my long post, and any info or enlightenment is appreciated.

WarPig
    Last edited by WarPig; 09-24-2008, 07:50 PM.
    WarPig____________________________________________
    "Live every day as if it were your last...
    ...one day it will be."

Comment

it seems that its an RX10D, w/ emgs. abt $500 new (in usa), and $200-300 used. the missing trem arm is very normal from ebay...
      and as for your next rhoads, picture would justify what it is.
      anything w.o professional/USA on the neck is most likely to be...not such a good guitar, unless its rr24 (which some people hate...) :
      pick guard, and 3 knob, 22 frets + trems,bolt on = RR3
      pick guard, 3 knob, ST, Through (i think) = prob RR5
      no pickguard, 1 knob,emg, 24 frets, through = RR24
      yours, i'm pretty sure its an RX10D.
      if it does have the professional on the neck, fuck it. just buy it anyway, it'll be worthed
      Own:
      '93 Rhoads PRO, '92 Fusion Ex, '90 Soloist PRO:, Zoom GFX-5 + moar shitty pedals, Marshall mg15 DFX

Dreamin abt:
      w/e catches my eyes ATM
      More '90 Professionals

Comment

Dear warpig

Well , you pissed me off Let this thread die and start a new one

I don't know bolt-on RR's that well (IMO, there should only be neck thru RR's), but I think you have a RR3 (MIJ) (edit: told you I don't know bolt on RR's), with an OFR (a nice upgrade) and EMG's. You might not like them now, but you'll love the price you'll get for them. $100 is much better than $10 the Duncan Designed pickups would get you.

I don't know how the hell we can tell you if you got ripped off or not because you didn't mention how much you paid. If I were to guess,

$300 for the guitar with case.
        $50 for the Floyd upgrade
        $75 for the EMG's

So I'd say if you paid less than $425 with case you got a good deal.
        Last edited by DonP; 09-24-2008, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the quick response!

Don P and laihojrxo, I am indebted to you for your superior knowledge

Don P, now that I've pissed of my first fellow-member, I can feel I'm truly part of the board.

I didn't initially want to say how much I paid because if I got beat big-time, I'd feel like an even bigger ass. But it seems I did ok: I paid $350. Even if that's a little over average value, I can still enjoy the guitar knowing I didn't make a major mistake.

WarPig
          WarPig____________________________________________
          "Live every day as if it were your last...
          ...one day it will be."

Comment

actually, to be honest, its a RX10D, check jackson website or anything. i'm sure of it =P
            RR3 has pick guard, unless the one i have, the pro version of it; 1996 rr3 pro. and for the pro version of it, it doesnt have/need a pickguard cuz its already awesome lol.
            http://photobucket.com/96jacksonrr3
            anyway, for $350, thats a steal (mainly cuz of emgs. esp if you get the HSC w/ it). nothing to worry about
            Own:
            '93 Rhoads PRO, '92 Fusion Ex, '90 Soloist PRO:, Zoom GFX-5 + moar shitty pedals, Marshall mg15 DFX

Dreamin abt:
            w/e catches my eyes ATM
            More '90 Professionals

Comment

Originally posted by laihojrxo View Post
              actually, to be honest, its a RX10D
              I editted my post after yours saying I don't know shit about RR bolt-ons

Warpig,

Enjoy your axe. I'd say you go a good deal, even if you decide to part it out.

Comment

The Floyd and the EMGs alone are worth more than what you paid, so I'd be happy with that deal.
                Scott

Comment

Working...
                X