Info on an early 90s PS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on an early 90s PS4

I have posted a few times about this PS4 but not really for info about its origins. Originally, I bought this as a parts guitar to piece together an 04 Dinky. I don't have any completed pics but I have now pieced the PS4 together and I am wondering a little about this one. My initial thought was to sell the PS4 to recoup some of my losses on building the Dinky but the more I worked on the PS4, the more I have wondered if I am selling the better guitar. It's an early 90s PS4, the body is pretty amazing, the front is blue flame and the back is a dark trans blue. You can see a very distinct wood grain underneath. I don't know what the wood is but it is definitely not basswood. The color of the wood at the neck pocket and in the pickup recesses is a brownish/red. It is an H/S/H config with a speedloading FR Trem. Anyone know what kind of wood it was constucted of, what were the original pups, the original sales price and what was the country of origin? Thanks for any replies. Here is a pic of the body. I will post a completed pic later.

Last edited by Acidhouse; 05-23-2007, 01:06 PM.

There is no such thing as an "early 90's" PS-4. The Performer line didn't exist before 1995.
    In 94 they were called the "Concept" series and the JDR-94 (later called the PS-4) had a Basswood body.

The body on yours is Alder and it has a paper thin veneer top on it.
    They were made in Japan and Korea, bottom of the line Jacksons. Now called the JS series.
    Pickups were stock Jacksons, J170, J30 and J170.
    Last edited by rjohnstone; 05-23-2007, 01:23 PM.
    -Rick

Comment

Could be a good project guitar.
      My Main Rig:
      '87 Charvel Model 4A
      Peavey KB100 amp
      Ibanez SM7 Smashbox

Others:
      '92 Gibson Les Paul Custom
      '05 Ibanez RG320FM
      '86 Ovation Pinnacle
      '98 Synsonics Custom Strat
      '89 Kramer 700ST Bass

Comment

I believe if the serial # starts with 9 it is a made in Japan, I believe in the same factory that's made the model Charvel up to the present professional series.

I tried one and I really liked it, but there was something wrong with the nut.
        The trem is a lower quality

Comment

Thanks for the replies. As for the trem, it has already been replaced with one from GFS. The old trem is on the Dinky. It has been a great project guitar, I have been playing around with it for about a year. I pick it up every couple of months and do something with it. I tried selling it as a project guitar but got no takers. I spent a couple of hours on it last night pretty much finishing it up. Only problem is that the middle pup I installed is dead so now I have to remove the strings and switch out the middle pup. My guess is that I probably am going to keep it. I am pretty happy with it in its present condition, (middle pup excluded). No reason to sell one that I am happy with and isn't going to get me any money anyway. Thanks again. Here are my two babies side by side.

Last edited by Acidhouse; 05-23-2007, 05:36 PM.

Comment

That's a damn pretty top for a low ender! (And I really don't like trans blue)
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Hey Acidhouse. That PS-4 used to be mine. Didn't we meet at a Quik-Trip to complete the sale? That one actually used to have a Made In Japan sticker on the back of the neck. I took it off many years ago. I bought it new back in 1995 at the old Mars Music that was on Buford Hwy. Let me know if you ever decided to let her go. I wouldn't mind having her back.

Alvin
              MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Alvin! Good to hear from you man. Thanks for the info. Yeah, it's me. I was playing her last night and loved the feel. Your old neck is on the trans green and the blue has a chinese replacement neck. Personally, for a cheapo, chinese neck that I found off of ebay, it's pretty sweet. I am still playing around with the intonation. I didn't use the pups you gave me, the wires were too short and I didn't feel like soldering wires to wires trying to make it work. Right now, I am leaning on the keeping her side but I will give you first dibs if I change my mind.

RacerX: Thanks for the compliments. I think the body look, the shape of it, (hardly a nick or scratch), and the tonewood have been the reasons I haven't given it up.

Comment

Working...
                X