No announcement yet.

DK2 Dinky volume knob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instead of drilling a hole, I would have ditched the tone, then swapped the remaining potentiomenter with a push-push potentiometer, giving two functions in one pot: vol + kill.

It would be cool if Budman made custom thin washers to cover the hole from a removed pot. I bet he could think of a way to make it fit the hole and snap right into place - a tight fit or small lips to grab the wood.

A black anodized one for the Rhoads control plate would be pretty easy. Black, white, red, veneered, flamed maple, mahogany.... would be cool also
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Lowes has plastic hole covers that work just fine you find them in the washer and screw bins.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I think the reason is like that for the strat, so you can play and adjust the volume at the same time (volume swells)

but that's not exactly in everyones every day vocabulary.

I've noticed that the USA dinkys volume is further away than import dinkys and USA soloists.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          I've always fanned my fingers out George Lynch style, so my fingers go right over the knob and never touch it.
          +1
          I've never hit the vol knob. Maybe you should have started this thread BEFORE drilling the hole so people could have given you better suggestions. But the kill-switch is a great option to have.
          Sam

Comment

I like the mod better now. No worries.

Jackson Guitar -> Line 6 Spider II -> DIY home speakers {optional}

Simple rig.

For the concert feel, I connect the Spider amp combo
            to my home DIY speakers. It's pretty sweet. DIY audio
            is my main hobby along with electronics. Guitar is a side
            project to make noise until I figure out how to play
            decent.

Repost:

DIY speakers;

*New* Line array spl test video
            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

The distortion you hear is not the speaker, it's
            the camcorder microphone getting battered by
            high SPL and saturating, thus recording its distortion
            on tape. The sound you hear in person is very clean.

I can crank 120dB[c] of midrange SPL, >126dB[c]
            of upper midbass -- from the listening position, not
            close up like others do to get higher SPL scores. lol

Note: No subwoofers running, if I did, the SPL scores
            wouldn't be valid.

I'm using Roland M1000 mixer + DCX2496 + (4) QSC
            PLX3402 proamps to drive that speaker system.

The mixer is nice. I didn't buy it for mixing, rather it's
            receiving the digital signal from my CD player and
            I use the Roland as my master digital volume control
            for the sound system, then it feeds the digital crossover {DCX}, then it drives the proamps.
            Lean setup, yet pretty powerful for an 'entry level' design. Only recently have I
            used the mixer feature, play music and mix the guitar.
            Last edited by thylantyr; 06-12-2007, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
              Hey lets all drill holes in our guitars and kill the value by 100%
              It's a DK2, what resale are you worried about?

For that matter, it's a Jackson, what resale value are you worried about?
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

True...... what was I thinking?
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  For that matter, it's a Jackson, what resale value are you worried about?
                  +1
                  I thought I scored a real deal on my SL2HT by paying under $1300 while a brand new one costs close to $1800 + 6 month wait, I saw one that sold on eBay yesterday for under $1100 It had gotoh tuners, active EMG's and what not. It must have costed the guy over $2000. sold at 50% loss!!
                  Sam

Comment

I found a chrome "hole plug" at home depot that I used to plug the volume knob hole (fits perfectly). I agree, the volume knob placement really sucks for aggressive playing.

Comment

yeah, the placing sucks on all jacksons that I know of...I hit it all the time when playing fast solos. But, I don't want to kill the resale of the guitar. Maybe I'll just take the knob dome off?

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                        I found a chrome "hole plug" at home depot that I used to plug the volume knob hole (fits perfectly). I agree, the volume knob placement really sucks for aggressive playing.

If I went to home depot to get one, what section would I find it in? ALso, is there a specific size you had to buy?
                        "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

If I recall correctly, there were only two sizes that were remotely close and I bought one of each. They were in this large bin of grommets and stuff in the hardware/nuts/bolts aisle.

Comment

I have that problem too, I changed the knobs on my Model 2 and DK2M to Fender knobs, helps my hand pass over easier.
                            Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

I have a theory why Jacksons have this problem. Some might agree, some might not. Anyway...

Jacksons are called "Soloists" for a reason. They are built concentrating mainly on the lead guitar player where you need a quick access to the vol and tone knobs while playing. They are not built for aggressive palm-muted down-picking. That would also explain why even the high end jacksons come with the "trebly" Duncan pair.

Gibsons on the other hand with their mahogany bodies, fat rounded shapes are good for down-picking and hence dont have the problem. Its not Jackson's fault that guitarists are changing the pickups on their guitars and using them for aggressive downpicking. That said, I've never had the problem. maybe I am not playing aggressive enough.
                              Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                                I have a theory why Jacksons have this problem. Some might agree, some might not. Anyway...

Jacksons are called "Soloists" for a reason. They are built concentrating mainly on the lead guitar player where you need a quick access to the vol and tone knobs while playing. They are not built for aggressive palm-muted down-picking. That would also explain why even the high end jacksons come with the "trebly" Duncan pair.

Gibsons on the other hand with their mahogany bodies, fat rounded shapes are good for down-picking and hence dont have the problem. Its not Jackson's fault that guitarists are changing the pickups on their guitars and using them for aggressive downpicking. That said, I've never had the problem. maybe I am not playing aggressive enough.
                                For me, it's not really "downpicking" per se but "rocking the wrist" that gets me in trouble. When I keep my right hand 3rd and 4th fingers planted on the face of the guitar (alternate speed picking), I am fine. However, when the fingers come off the guitar for a more ragged, rhythmic playing style (still alternate picking), I crash into the volume knob big time. Note this is on SL's, KE's, WR's, and DK's (KV's and RR's are OK).
                                _________________________________________________
                                "Artists should be free to spend their days mastering their craft so that working people can toil away in a more beautiful world."
                                - Ken M

Comment

Working...
                                X