Modded my KVX10, pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modded my KVX10, pics

I made some changes to my King V recently. I changed the pickups and I couldn't be happier with the improvement to the sound. Installed EMG81s. I actually haven't hooked up the neck pickup yet. I am thinking about going without a tone control and using that spot for an input jack. I hate the location on the inside bottom wing of the stock jack, even when using a right angle plug. Anybody else move the jack on one of these? The only thing stopping me is having to drill a larger hole to fit the plug

I also added chrome pickup rings. As someone else posted in a different thread some rings won't fit EMGs. These are "Proline" chrome, flat bottom, slanted, tall & short rings and they are just a bit to small. I took others advise and used a dremel to shave down the inside of each ring and presto they fit.

I am also thinking of replacing the knobs, bridge, switch, tuners (Planet Waves locking) with black hardware leaving only the rings chrome. I would also like to change the string ferrels to black. Is it hard to get these out without messing up the finish? Is it easy to put the new ones in?

Enough talk, here's the pics...

Personally, I think I would just keep everything chrome. I have an SL2 that is black with all chrome hardware, and it really looks slick. The pickup rings make all the difference in the world, but would look weird if everything else was black I think.
    sigpic

Comment

each to his own. you could use the CS generator to see which colour hardware you prefer. I'd go with Gold or black, being as it's a black guitar. I've never liked chrome personally, in that I think it looks cheap.
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Well, waddaya know, I agree with wilkinsi!

I'm going all black on my KVX.
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
          Well, waddaya know, I agree with wilkinsi!

I'm going all black on my KVX.
          You disagree with everything I say. Post some pix Mr. Smartarse. Chop chop, get a move on!
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I like it. But all black hardware is my personal favorite, gold looks awesome too on a burst finish though.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments. I finished the wiring last night. Connected the neck pickup, switch, tone control. What a pain in the neck. The neck pickup is the ond style without the quick connector and the lead was just long enough to leave about 2 inches sticking into the electronics cavity (I know I could have used that one in the bridge position but the bridge position one has the quick connector and I want to be able to swap it if I chose). I had to make way to many solder connections. But it works.

I think I will like it all black. When I get time I'll try it.

Karl

Comment

Those pup rings look great! Nice and snug. Makes it look like the pup and ring are fused together. I like!!
                My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Originally posted by mhalsey View Post
                  Those pup rings look great! Nice and snug. Makes it look like the pup and ring are fused together. I like!!
                  Thanks, I had to shave down the inside of the rings. It's not pretty from close up before the pickups are inside them. But once installed the pickups cover up the roughness of my not-so-handy work.

I just last night did the 18v thing for the EMGs. I used the method where you make a 3 9v battery connector harness. I think it makes an improvement. Here's a pic. As you can see it's pretty tight, but it fits....

Karl

Comment

Looks rockin' Nice work.

Comment

Nice. I myself want my KV to have all black hardware but thats not the case. Chrome still looks nice looks very clean

Comment

I once asked someone htf you get the ferrels off, and the response was: "use a felt tip pen"?! Can they be removed without damaging the body? Will new ones (assuming they can be obtained) go on easily?
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                          I once asked someone htf you get the ferrels off, and the response was: "use a felt tip pen"?! Can they be removed without damaging the body? Will new ones (assuming they can be obtained) go on easily?
                          To be honest, this is the biggest thing stopping me from goin all black on this guitar. The tone knobs, switch, bridge, tuners, are all no big deal. What's that, maybe $100 and 1-2 hours time. But I'm afraid of chipping the finish/paint around the string ferrels if I try to pry them out. I do really like the way the chrome rings look, but I'd like to try replacing the rest of the hardware with black, but only if I can change the string ferrels too. I think it would look dumb with everything black and then chrome ferrels. Anyone ever changed them? Got to be someone out there that's tried it.

Karl

Comment

ive only removed the Bridge ferrels, it was some what easy. just took a pencil, stuck it in, tilted the pencil, then pulled up and it came up about halfway. I continued till they popped out. Unfortunatly i lost the old ferrels and i had to order some from fender.

Comment

Where did you get those chrome pickup rings?

Comment

Working...
                              X