No announcement yet.

first jackson: cow signature 6-string?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first jackson: cow signature 6-string?

hey bros,

i am new to the forum and yes, i am here coz i am considering buying a mid-price jackson.

first, just a little history. i've been playing metal with a mij fender contemporary strat since the late 80's. its basically an alder body with a schaller made system 1 trem with a maple/rosewood neck. it had an emg 81 an then a duncan custom a few years back. i've since retired my mij strat.

since then, it has been a usacg mahogany strat body mated to a warmoth wenge/ebony neck with stainless steel frets. bridge is a hipshot hardtail and a bill lawrence 500xl in the bridge. i must add that an ebony board feels much smoother than rosewood.

for a change, i am thinking of diverting from a strat shape to something more metal. based on my preferences, i reckoned the cow signature 6-string may be more in the vein of what i am comfortable with.

what are your opinions on the cow 6-string? is that a good first jackson to start out with? some low and high points will be nice. the cow aside, is there any others in the same price range i should consider?

btw, i am new to the jackson range of guitars and i will really appreciate if you can bear with me on this.

thanks!
    dani

hey dani, welcome to the board!

I bought a COW DK6 about 1 1/2 years ago and it has been one of my main playing axes ever since.

The major low point first: It is not versatile. But that's to be expected of a one-humbucker, one-volume guitar. It fulfilled my needs for a no-frills, full on death metal guitar.

If you can live with that, there are only good points to come in my book:
    First of all, the build quality on my COW is outstanding for a guitar in this price range. Not a single flaw on mine. And it's the best guitar you can get for the money IMO, with the ebony board, real EMG, mahogany body and neck, and being made in Japan.

The neck is fatter/rounder than the necks on all my other Jacksons, but that might even suit you well since you are coming from a strat. I think this neck is very comfortable.

Other recommendations in this price range (assuming you want to stay with the superstrat shape) would be anything from the DK2 family if you want more versatility. Or a DKMG/DKMGT.

Basically, anything from the MG or Pro Series gets my recommendation, as they are all of good build quality and feature real EMGs or Seymour Duncans.

Good luck with your first Jackson!
    http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

many thanks for the reply shadowcat!

i love the simplicity of a one humbucker one volume guitar. that was what i had on my previous strats. i reckoned the cow 6-string arch top mahogany body mated with a mahogany/ebony neck will be hard to beat. what will be a bonus will be stainless steel frets and maybe neck-thru construction. i will check the rest of your recommendations too.

anybody else?

Comment

Firstly, welcome to the forum Dani! Don't know why you didn't get a bigger welcome. Must be the time of the month.

Secondly, there are lots of threads on the forum about the COW 6 (or DK6). The search function is okay, but I find using site:jcfonline and your search term in google works better. You'll probably discover most of what you want to know that way (including pics of the new Mako finish for the COW6). E.g.:

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=...G=Search&meta=

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=...G=Search&meta=

Thirdly, I don't own and haven't played a COW6/DK6, so I can't make a recommendation. I did come real close to ordering a COW7, but - oddly enough - after to talking to Shadowcat and others I ordered a Jackson Stars guitar from Japan instead. You'll find info. on Jackson Stars here:

http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/JacksonStars.htm

I trust Shadowcat's opinion on the COW6. Like he says, it'd probably have limited versitility. People who are happy with that seem to like them.

My only other comment is that if you go for a non-strat type shape, play one beforehand. My first expensive guitar was a Jackson KV2. You couldn't swing a cat in the house where I lived at the time. Or play a KV2, as I unfortunately found out.

Finally, make sure you post pictures of whatever you buy!

Comment

thanks for the welcome guys!

i did a search and did read all the threads on the cow6. btw, is there any significant difference between the jackson and jackson stars cow6?

apparently, jasckson stars makes the cow signature models as well.

Comment

As i know.. the Stars COW is the same as the ... "normal" one...

?

Comment

Originally posted by dani View Post
              thanks for the welcome guys!

i did a search and did read all the threads on the cow6. btw, is there any significant difference between the jackson and jackson stars cow6?

apparently, jasckson stars makes the cow signature models as well.
              Well, it's exactly the same product, just with a different logo on the headstock. The factory making JacksonStars also makes all the japanese Jackson imports.

Comment

Originally posted by dani View Post
                btw, is there any significant difference between the jackson and jackson stars cow6?
                I didn't mean to suggest buying a Jackson Stars COW6. As everyone said, it's the same guitar with a different logo.

It's just that if you wanted a neck-thru 6 string with a TOM, but didn't want to pay made in the USA prices, then a Jackson Stars may do. Something like this J2 soloist:

http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/goods_detail.php?g_id=66196

94k Yen is about 770 dollars and add about 100 dollars shipping...

Last edited by ken; 07-04-2007, 01:20 PM.

Comment

welcome mate
                  if you get cow post pics!
                  Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                  Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

I tried out a COW6 at Guitar Center shortly after they came out, and I thought it was a sweet guitar. I'm not a fan of EMG pickups or TOM bridges, so it wouldn't be a practical purchase for me, but it sounded and felt great regardless. If they offered a Floyd version, I'd buy it and swap the pickup with something more to my tastes, but the look of it is the coolest I've seen from Jackson in years.
                    sigpic

Comment

Hey man welcome , im pretty new to the site to although i have been playing jacksons my whole life... among the jacksons i own the COW6 is one of them .. its a great guitar for what it is ... if your looking for a metal guitar that is comfortable to play and looks and sounds great than i recommend picking one up ... good luck

Comment

thanks for the replies guys!

i like the cow6 for its simplicity. i don't mind the t-o-m but the 81 will likely be replaced by a 500xl. if it feels and sounds as good as it looks. i will most likely be buying it.

next up, where is a good place to buy price and service wise? it will be a huge plus if paypal is accepted. btw, i am located in singapore with a shipping service located in portland, oregon.

thanks as always!
                        dani

Comment

Check out one of our sponsor dealers, and contact them for a price quote. Don't forget to mention that you're a JCF member.

Comment

I'm bringing this thread back, because of a question I have. I'm also planning on getting one too. Anyone tried an 85 in the bridge? Is it too bassy since its got a mahogany body?

Comment

Originally posted by minh80 View Post
                              I'm bringing this thread back, because of a question I have. I'm also planning on getting one too. Anyone tried an 85 in the bridge? Is it too bassy since its got a mahogany body?
                              It's a thin mahogany body, so you'll be fine.
                              Hell, I've even got an 85 in the bridge of my all mahogany Les Paul and love it, don't think it's too bassy at all. It sounds better than the 81, IMO.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X