Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any import Dinky Reverse models with real MOP inlays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any import Dinky Reverse models with real MOP inlays?

I'm happy with the neck on the `90s DR-3 I just bought, but I'm having difficulty overcoming my loathing of plastic inlays. I'm positive that I once saw an import Dinky Reverse with real MOP sharkfins, but I can't find any corresponding models in the www.audiozone.dk catalog scans. I figure that if such a guitar did exist, it must have been made during the same period as the Dinky XL, before pearloid became the standard inlay material.

I can't really justify the cost of replacing the inlays on this guitar, but if I could find an intact neck, it might be worth buying.
    sigpic

Yes there were DR3's with MOP inlays, someone I knew had one... looked just like mine, but with MOP. Im guessing that ended around 94 or so unfortunatley.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

That'd be a neat trick, Rob, as DR3s weren't produced until 1996!

Remember the LetterLetterNumber (DR3, RR1, etc) designations did not begin until '95/'96.

Also, no pre 95 production Dinky Reverses had sharkies. Most had dots.
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

There's a guitar center limited edition dinky, same as a dkmg with a some kind of different finish . It has mop inlays but the sharkies are not reverse
        Check my bands!
        www.myspace.com/magicktr
        www.myspace.com/sinif64
        www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Found a pic of it but the headstock is not reverse either so excuse me

Check my bands!
          www.myspace.com/magicktr
          www.myspace.com/sinif64
          www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Nice looking axe!
            "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

Nope, thats not the guitar Im talking about... the guitar I saw was a Dinky Reverse Professional with MOP inlays, no binding. Same as my DR3 but with MOP.
              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

the inlays...were they regular sharkies or reverse sharkies ?
                Sam

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                  Nope, thats not the guitar Im talking about... the guitar I saw was a Dinky Reverse Professional with MOP inlays, no binding. Same as my DR3 but with MOP.
                  I know I saw one like that on eBay, and I was interested in it for the neck, but not being fond of the finish and knowing it would need a pickup upgrade, I wasn't comfortable with the direction the bidding was headed. I'm not surprised that such a neck hasn't turned up for sale, but knowing that such a thing exists has me watching eBay closely.

Reverse MOP sharkfins can be had for around $50 from what I've found, but the installation will certainly be another $100-150 at a respectable shop, if not more. I guess I'll see how the guitar turns out after a pickup swap, and if I'm still happy with it after a few gigs, maybe I'll set aside some cash for new inlays.
                  sigpic

Comment

You sure it wasn't a Jackson Stars or a Grover Jackson.
                    I know the Doug Aldrich Dinky Professional had a reverse headstock with MOP sharkies.
                    I've never seen a DR Pro with Mop sharkies.

I recall the Japanese only market had a lot of reverse headstock Dinky's with MOP sharkies.
                    Last edited by rjohnstone; 07-13-2007, 04:24 PM.
                    -Rick

Comment

I can't tell by the pics in the auction, but it looks like a Dinky RVS might have MOP inlays:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2552&rd=1&rd=1

I'll have just headed out of town for a few days when that auction ends, so I'm not going to bid, but I'm really curious what it will sell for.
                      sigpic

Comment

Every catalog pic I've seen of a "Dinky RVS" Professional has always had the offset dots, but it would not surprise me if it did come with MOP inlays at one time or another. The Dinky XL had MOP inlays.
                        -Rick

Comment

Not sure about the Dinky Reverse Pro pre 95 (as Ron said) ever having shakfins at all. All my Dinky Reverse Pros (DR5 haha Ron, they were actually designated with a DR pre 96 but I won't rag on you for that ) have a Rosewood board or Maple board with offset dots.

If you want a reversed headstock with real MOP inlays and white binding, you might want to try to find a Kelly XLR. You'll probably have to outbid me, because I try to snag them when I see them for sale.

Comment

Oh, I don't think you'll have to worry about competition from me on a Kelly.

I must admit that I've found a lot of holes in my Jackson knowledge over the past few months. There are quite a few models that either had specs I didn't know about, or models that I didn't know existed at all. I knew about the mahogany DR3/DR6 all along, but ash bodies with satin finishes was news to me. Same with the trans green burst Dinky XL.
                            sigpic

Comment

I remember that a few years ago somebody posted a list of every Dinky model that ever existed (or at least, everyone he knew) and there were over 25 of them. Lots of reversed heads, too. There were quite a few models I had never heard of, either.
                              http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Working...
                              X