Duncan Full Shred In PS-3T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan Full Shred In PS-3T

Hi I currently own a Jackson Performer series PS-3T and it has an EMG 81 in the bridge that I'm not too fond of since I use this guitar for standard tuning only, and it tends to be too harsh for my tastes. So I was looking into the Duncan Full Shred because it has what I want from a pup, but I was wondering if it would sound good in poplar? If not can you recommend another pup that's good for metal and hard rock that will sound good. Thanks.

Duncan Custom Custom
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Both. I LOVE the Full Shred though.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
        Duncan Custom Custom
        Yeah, I had a custom custom in a poplar king v and it was killer. Not "balls out" metal, but pretty raucous.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
          Yeah, I had a custom custom in a poplar king v and it was killer. Not "balls out" metal, but pretty raucous.
          What do you mean by "Balls out" metal? The reason why I ask is because this will most likely see a lot of Megadeth, and Metallica type stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Rattlehead22 View Post
            What do you mean by "Balls out" metal? The reason why I ask is because this will most likely see a lot of Megadeth, and Metallica type stuff.
            It is hot enough to do Megadeth or Metallica. It isn't as hot as say an Invader would be, IMHO. Not the massive low end, but more midrangy. It is quite versatile and can do classic tube-amp sounds, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
              It is hot enough to do Megadeth or Metallica. It isn't as hot as say an Invader would be, IMHO. Not the massive low end, but more midrangy. It is quite versatile and can do classic tube-amp sounds, too.
              Oh o.k. it sounds like it has exactly what I want from a pup.

Thanks a lot!

Comment

The Full Shred is a great pickup It has a slightly pronounced midrange and clearity. The harminice seem to just jump out of it too. Its a bit lower output than a JB but it has the mids the newer JBs lack. I like em in poplar.
                Gil

Comment

I would say that the FS would be too low output, unless you run a high-gain amp, or boost the signal with a pedal. EQ-wise, I'm also not so sure how dissimilar it is to the 81(?).

You say you want something capable of Megadeth and Metallica - well, you will need something with a bit of output. Dave used to use Duncan JBs in his Jacksons, which is a hotter pickup than the FS.

I would personally go for a Duncan Distortion, or an EMG-85.

Comment

Who plays metal without a high gain amp and/or pedals? I'd give the full shred a shot that way if you want to play something that isn't flat out you can.

Comment

I use the Full Shred in a poplar Soloist Pro, and it sounds great. Much tighter low end than a JB, but plenty of high end clarity too.
                      sigpic

Comment

I

I put a Full Shred in my Charvel Model 5a (Maple neck thru/poplar wings) and it did not sound anywhere as good as it did in my Jackson performer (Bolt-on Maple/Alder body). I was very disappointed. In the alder guitar is was thick and tight and harmonically full. In the Charvel it was thin and lacked fullness. That could be due to the brightness of the maple neck thru tho.

Comment

Minor thread hijack -- anyone use the Full Shred in a basswood body guitar?

Comment

Dead post!

Not to bring up a dead post, but I use a Full Shred in my Basswood Dinky Reverse...and it sounds god-like!!!

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                            Minor thread hijack -- anyone use the Full Shred in a basswood body guitar?

Comment

The FullShred is my favorite pickup. It sounds its best, in my experience in a maple neck through guitar. In my buddy's model 6 it's very nice and thick. Not overly bright, just enough. AMAZING clarity and the pickup is actually very hot. Pretty ballsy.

Tight bass too which the Custom Custom doesn't have. The CC is more of a vintage sounding pickup with extra output. The FullShred is a more modern sounding pickup, which can also cope with vintage tones with the right rig.

Comment

Working...
                              X