DK2M customization plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK2M customization plans

In the process of buying a new guitar and want a bolt on 2H Jackson with SDs. Would have preferred a USA guitar (only due to the fact that these have the quarter-sawn hard rock maple necks whereas the imports only have maple necks + I prefer the OFR over the Jackson licensed) so the alternatives I am looking at is to either buy a DK-1 and switch the EMGs to SDs (expensive...) or to try to "customize" a DK2M the way I want (if this is even possible?).

What I would like to do is the following:

1. Buy a std DK2M.
    2. Change the trem to an OFR. Does it fit exactly you think?
    3. Buy a spare part USA DK-1 neck and add that to the package. I cannot find what only the neck would cost in the pricelist from Jackson. Do you think it is even possible to buy one separate like this? Also, I do think it would fit, but I am not sure as the specs on the Jackson website says the DK-1 has 750 mm at the 3rd fret whereas the DK2M has 735 mm at the 1st fret. Both have 810 at the 12th. I think it is exactly the same nevertheless (they have just measured at different places for some reason) but I am not sure.

What I would end up with is a "Japanese manufactured DK-1 with SDs and the extra scallop on the lower cutaway" as far as I can tell the differences between the two guitars.

It might explain this move even more, if I say that a DK-1 in Sweden where I live for some freaking reason costs appr. 25.000 sek (appr. 3.300 usd) and a DK2M appr. 6.000 sek (appr. 900 usd)...

What do you guys think? Possible?

OFR fits, no jackson doesn't sell necks separate, good luck finding a parted out DK1, i have heard people say they don't fit.

The Dk2M is an awesome guitar, i bet you wont change a thing about it.
    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

People just assume the import necks are not as good.I feel there are differences but not enough to justify swapping necks.If I HAD to have the made in USA after the logo just paint mask it on.
      Trying to pass it off as a USA guitar you should be hung by your balls.
      Plus by the time you bought the USA neck (if you could find one) and bought the OFR you could have bought a used DK 2 USA Jackson.
      Last edited by straycat; 07-18-2007, 11:03 AM.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

the whole reason to get a DK2M is the maple neck with black sharkies.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
          the whole reason to get a DK2M is the maple neck with black sharkies.

Which I think is totally awesome! I love the maple neck. Sounds much brighter than the rosewood.
          "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

The only mod a DK2M would need is an OFR
            Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
            Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
            Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Comment

Thx

Thx for many replies and sorry for the double post..

Of course my purpose is not to pass it off as a USA guitar, that would just be ridiculous, I am only looking to maximize the quality of the guitar in relation to price.

I will most probably go for the OFR switch then + switching the frets to Dunlop 6000s (which is something I would do regardless of neck). I am also thinking about buying a Snow White and custom paint it immediately at a local shop here.

Although I am 80% sure it will be a Jackson, I am also looking at the cousins Charvel and Caparison as they are better priced here in Sweden vs. Jackson for the top models.

Just love the Caparison head and a Dellinger II would be nice too..

Comment

>> The only mod a DK2M would need is an OFR.

Don't agree - the stock one is fine. I did change the 3-way switch to a 5-way for coil tapping - I get some very nice, VERY clean tones in positions 2 and 4.
                "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

SweetPeat has a good point and a very easy mod at that.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

yeah +1 the trem on the dk2m is fine and the idea for a 5 way switch is really the only mod i would do
                    Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                    Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

The only reason I'd consider (which I am considering) replacing the bridge w/ an OFR is to install a drop d tuna on it. The licensed Jackson low pro bridge cannot accommodate the drop tuna.
                      "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 10-12-2008, 10:18 PM.
                        Just a guitar player...

Comment

Originally posted by texasfury View Post
                          Since you want a 2 humbucker Jackson WITHOUT a maple fretboard, just buy a DXMG. Or buy a used DK1, if you're gonna spend all that money.

Or go with the higher quality DKMG. Great axe!

Comment

Originally posted by Mario8672 View Post
                            The only mod a DK2M would need is an OFR
                            +1
                            ------------------------------------------------
                            Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
                            X