Kelly Mutt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly Mutt?

A local store here has a Kelly. It seems to have the body of a Professional Standard Kelly. But it has a 24 neck with Sharkfins. The neck pickup is still the stock Jackson humbucker, but the bridge is a Duncan pup. The hardware was also black. So would I be correct in thinking its a parts guitar?

does the neck have binding? if so, it could be a DK2 neck with KE3 body. Otherwise, the previous owner has only swapped one of the pups. Pix would help.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

The neck has no binding. I can't get pictures as I don't own it (Im considering buying it). The reason I was leaning towards it being a Kelly Std. with a different neck was it had a stock Jackson humbucker in the neck like what came standard on the Kelly Std.

Comment

Edit: Read below post.
        Last edited by CharvelRocker; 07-31-2007, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Well, I traded my Dime 2ST for it. Apparently some idiot had been playing it lefty and put marker on the fretboard on the side as markers! I'm sure I can clean it off, as it needs a nice cleaning anyway. I have it on layaway, but should have it by mid August. It has an after market Seymour duncan in the bridge, the stock Jackson pup in the neck, a JT580 trem, and a mystery Jackson neck. Plays like butter though. I'll get pics up ASAP...

Comment

Could it just be a KE3 Kelly? Those come with an unbound rosewood fretboard with MOTO sharkies.

My Kelly is a Pedigree Mutt. KE3 Body with a DK1 neck, all blacked out with black hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              Could it just be a KE3 Kelly? Those come with an unbound rosewood fretboard with MOTO sharkies.

My Kelly is a Pedigree Mutt. KE3 Body with a DK1 neck, all blacked out with black hardware.
              It could be, but to me that doesn't explain the black hardware (I thought they were chrome/satin?) or the stock Jackson pup in the neck. It also looks at least a few years old judging by the condition. it and how the trem looks. Of course if it is a KE3 I wouldn't be disappointed. I have a guitar lesson there next week and I can play it, so I'll have to grab the serial.
              Last edited by CharvelRocker; 07-31-2007, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Normal or reverse headstock?

I wouldn't think it's an Std that someone put a 24 fret neck on, because that would never intonate properly without some really extensive work.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                  Normal or reverse headstock?

I wouldn't think it's an Std that someone put a 24 fret neck on, because that would never intonate properly without some really extensive work.
                  Normal Headstock with no reverse shark fins and no binding. And according to the Jackson catalog from 1994-95 and 1993 said (and pictured) the Kelly Std. had a 24 fret neck.
                  Last edited by CharvelRocker; 08-01-2007, 02:05 PM.

Comment

If it had the binding I'd say it was a Kelly XL.
                    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                      It could be, but to me that doesn't explain the black hardware (I thought they were chrome/satin?) or the stock Jackson pup in the neck. It also looks at least a few years old judging by the condition. it and how the trem looks. Of course if it is a KE3 I wouldn't be disappointed. I have a guitar lesson there next week and I can play it, so I'll have to grab the serial.
                      When I bought the KE3 for the body ($200) it came with chrome hardware. I sold that and the neck and I think ended up with the body + a little $$$.

I personnally love the blacked out hardware look. It looks mean with everything black except the MOP sharkies (DK1 oiled neck). In a sense I'd like to trade it for a KE2, but I don't think it's worth the trouble and it's a great axe.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                        When I bought the KE3 for the body ($200) it came with chrome hardware. I sold that and the neck and I think ended up with the body + a little $$$.

I personnally love the blacked out hardware look. It looks mean with everything black except the MOP sharkies (DK1 oiled neck). In a sense I'd like to trade it for a KE2, but I don't think it's worth the trouble and it's a great axe.
                        If you were really pro you'd paint the neck black properly to match the body. But thats really difficult. Sorry about that statement, Im just a bitch about painted necks, I cannot stand an unfinished neck, must be painted for me. Thats why I only have an RR24, ESP MH250, Lespaul Custom, Lespaul Flourentine. All painted necks, as it is two neckthrus and two setnecks. I really want a kelly, but I will have to wait so I can get a KE2, as I only like neckthru's.
                        www.myspace.com/memnochband
                        www.myspace.com/thefairyprincesses

Comment

Originally posted by blackendvampire View Post
                          If you were really pro you'd paint the neck black properly to match the body. But thats really difficult. Sorry about that statement, Im just a bitch about painted necks, I cannot stand an unfinished neck, must be painted for me. Thats why I only have an RR24, ESP MH250, Lespaul Custom, Lespaul Flourentine. All painted necks, as it is two neckthrus and two setnecks. I really want a kelly, but I will have to wait so I can get a KE2, as I only like neckthru's.
                          :ROTF:

There have been many custom shop "neck thru" guitars where people have requested the neck be left unfinished. How would you like that? An unfinished neck thru guitar?

Once you get to know this forum, you'll learn that the unfinish oiled neck is king here. Painting an (at least-know one knows for sure because you can't buy them) $500 DK-1 neck would be about the stupidest thing to do since chopping up a 1959 Les Paul to turn it into Stratocaster:ROTF:

Personally, I couldn't care less about the back finish of the neck. I like them all. But I'm not about to screw up a DK-1 neck, and I've painted plenty of guitars.

Comment

Well I picked it up today. The neck plate had no Jackson logo and a very unJackson-like serial: 00010167. Again, the neck is 24 frets with a rosewood finger board, and non reverse headstock and sharkies. I'm really a bit lost.

Comment

Still sounds like a KE3 to me. Is the fretboard unbound? Are the sharkies real MOP or plastic MOTO? That serial number looks like a "Made in India" number. starts with a 9=Japan; starts with a 0=India.

Comment

Working...
                              X