Compound Radius Necks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compound Radius Necks

Are the compound radius necks on the new jackson all that?

Is this question compound radius versus single radius? Or, is Jackson compound radius neck versus non-Jackson compound radius neck the issue?!?

Comment

Ooops

Ooops...sorry. I figured since this is the Jackson/Charvel forumn, everyone would understand that the question was comparing the new Jaclson necks with the compound radius vs the older models (like my Dinky Reverse Pro) with a non-compund radius neck.

Comment

I personally don't care for compound and would rather have a traditional straight radius neck. With compound radius, you end up with different action height depending on where you are on the fretboard.

Specifically looking at Jackson, I think the difference between 14" and 16" is small enough that it seems pointless to mess with a compound radius.

YMMV.

Comment

It's the fingerboard that's got a compound radius neck, not the neck.
          And I believe it goes from 10" or 12" to 16". The radius is lower/rounder at the lower frets to allow for more comfortable chording. The radius gets higher/flatter at the higher frets to allow for better string bending without fretting out.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

There's a difference in feel to them, too. When I play my compound radius axe for a while and switch to the single radius, my fingers end up floating in thin air on the 1st string wondering where the board is. But, then I get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              It's the fingerboard that's got a compound radius neck, not the neck.
              Huh?

Comment

When talking about compound radius, we're talking about the fingerboard shape going from round to flat, not the backshape of the neck.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I thought that's what you were meaning, but I didn't see anybody disputing the contrary, so I was confused in context.

BTW, sometimes a compound radius can applied to the *frets only*. This is sometimes done with vintage instruments, so the fretboard itself can be left original.

BTW 2, the Jackson website lists some guitars as having 12" to 16" and others as 14" to 16"?

Comment

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

i believe USA models and custom shop models are probably 12 to 16", and imports are 14-16". at least thats what ive seen, maybe the more expensive Imports are 12-16 as well?
                      My metal band Lucian Scott
                      Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                      Available Now!
                      New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                        ran out of punch lines?
                        "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

14" to 16" is definitely a waste of time. I just don't get the point.

They might as well do 15 3/4" to 16".

Comment

I'd like to see a 9 1/2 to 13, 14-16 is just flat and flatter. You need some kinda radius for chording down low IMO. I guess I'll need to have that one built someday.
                            Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Originally posted by jcm800x View Post
                              I'd like to see a 9 1/2 to 13, 14-16 is just flat and flatter. You need some kinda radius for chording down low IMO. I guess I'll need to have that one built someday.
                              I have a custom shop BC Rich Warlock with an extreme 9 1/2 to 16 radius. It feels very unique, very nice. Also the nut is a 1 5/8, which makes the transition from low to high even more dramatic.

Comment

Working...
                              X