Pick up change for my Rhoads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick up change for my Rhoads

I have been using EMG 81 in all my guitars forever because playing metal it to me has sounded better than any other passive i have tried. I just bought my second Kevin bond rhoads and i dont really like the duncan in it but before i swap it out for an EMG 81 i want to try some passives first . I need some suggestions on what u guys like in the mahogany KBR. I play metal and i didn't really like the JB either. so HElp!! Thanks

Dimarzio X2N is a great passive metal pickup
    "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

i was looking into that one.. i have never played dimarzio but have heard good things about that pickup.

Comment

Fuck the 81. Go with an 85. Or an X2N would be a great choice as well.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Not many people have heard. But Lace Drop and Gains. Passive, loud as a mofo and got a hint of JB mix with EMG sound (if that's possible)..

Huge in-your-face pickup. It has become my humbucker of choice in any "metal" guitar
          Jason Becker / Paul Gilbert Wannabe

Comment

i have always thought of the 81 as the "metal" pickup. but i have seen alot of guys using the 85 on here .... but i wanna try a passive

Comment

81 is too harsh and bright. 85 would be better in Alder
              Jason Becker / Paul Gilbert Wannabe

Comment

I hate the 85.. it doesn't have the clarity of razorlike sound of the 81, which I love
                "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

try Bill Lawrence L-500XL (both bridge and neck!) I think it's the best in alder body, but mahogany is great too!
                  State of Emergency
                  http://www.myspace.com/stateofemergencysoe
                  Personal Myspace
                  http://www.myspace.com/hansoe

Comment

Originally posted by S.O.A.F View Post
                    try Bill Lawrence L-500XL (both bridge and neck!) I think it's the best in alder body, but mahogany is great too!
                    They were the OEM pickups for Jackson in 1995 and sound pretty damn good in a RR1, depending on what type of tone you like.

Comment

The guitar im putting it in is mahogany not alder

Comment

I'm going through the same thing with my SLSMG which is also mahogany.
                        I have 81's in several other guitars (they sound awesome) and wanted to try something different. So far I've installed a SD Distortion. I don't think it will be staying. It's cool for some things but doesn't seem to have the clarity and precission of the 81. I'm thinking of trying the DiMarzio D-Activator. And possibly the SD Blackout. As someone else posted there's a video revue of the D-Activator here.....

Comment

Originally posted by S.O.A.F View Post
                          Originally posted by DonP View Post
                          They were the OEM pickups for Jackson in 1995 and sound pretty damn good in a RR1, depending on what type of tone you like.
                          I believe they were the Bill Lawrence USA (Bill's former business partner) and not the true Bill Lawrence made by Bill and his wife Becky.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Bill lawrence xl500 < EMG 81

Comment

I have a Bill Lawrence USA and tried to put it in my KVX10 and it didn't fit worth a crap. It was shorter and fatter then SD's and it has to use the ring that comes with it. I wasn't into re-drilling so I put it in a Washburn I have. It could just be me or my guitar but I didn't like the way it fit. I haven't tried the Bill and Becky pups, but I think if I ever get new ones I will try those. I have a DiMarzio Evo in one of my V's and a SD Invader in my other V. I like the sound of both pretty good, but havn't really tried any others. I really don't see much reason to have the same pups in all my guitars. I want each one to sound different. It gives me a reason to have more than I need if they don't sound the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X