Pick up change for my Rhoads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by memphiskat View Post
    I'm going through the same thing with my SLSMG which is also mahogany.
    I have 81's in several other guitars (they sound awesome) and wanted to try something different. So far I've installed a SD Distortion. I don't think it will be staying. It's cool for some things but doesn't seem to have the clarity and precission of the 81. I'm thinking of trying the DiMarzio D-Activator. And possibly the SD Blackout. As someone else posted there's a video revue of the D-Activator here.....

http://www.guitarworld.com/article/d..._dp219_pickups
    d-activator maybe, but the blackout, it has even more of a brittle tone than the 81
    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Try a Dimarzio Super Distortion. I have them in a few guitars including a Charvel Model 1. Sounds Awesome. I even changed the 500K pot for a 1 meg pot and it seemed to "open up" the sound. Actually made it sound more like an EMG 81 style sound, to my ears anyway!
      Guitars:
      Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
      1988 Model 2,
      Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
      RR3
      Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
      1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
      2005 SG Special

Comment

i was curious about the blackouts.. put they are active aswell ... i heard they are really sharp

Comment

Bare Knuckle Pickups

those pickups for me are the "end all-be all" of passive pickups.

Comment

Here's another vote for the X2N, I have them in my RR's.

Comment

I'd vote X2N cuz I love it, although I have never been lucky enough to try bare knuckle pickups

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
                d-activator maybe, but the blackout, it has even more of a brittle tone than the 81
                You're the only one that says that about the blackouts. I heard quite the opposite. Could you elaborate more on the blackouts? I'm thinking of switching out the EMG 85 from one of my guitars and trying them. If they don't have that nice thick tone of the 85, you've just saved me the trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by minh80 View Post
                  You're the only one that says that about the blackouts. I heard quite the opposite. Could you elaborate more on the blackouts? I'm thinking of switching out the EMG 85 from one of my guitars and trying them. If they don't have that nice thick tone of the 85, you've just saved me the trouble.
                  I eventually went with the SD Blackouts. I put them in the standard bridge/neck position- 81 style in the bridge and 85 in the neck. I like them very much. They are very similar to the EMG81/85s. I think if you hate those pickups, you'll hate these, but if you like them you'll also like these. They seem hotter/louder than the EMGs. Are they quieter? Hard to tell, becuase I always thought the EMGs where quiet compared to passives. I've been playing this guitar a lot, for a while now, and feel no reason to change out theese pickups. They seem very versitile. Played through my PODxt they sound great and can handle any style/sound. Also played through my Randall RG75 solid state amp they sound great, with and without pedals. Same for my Micro Cube. I don't have a traditional tube amp so I can't vouch for them in that situation.

My only dissapiontment was that they DO NOT come with the quick connect
                  cables like the EMG's do. They have the multi prong connector on the back, but also have a long length of connecting cable permanently connected to the back like most other pickups. You'll have to buy the quick connect cables if you want to be able to swap them out with EMGs or switch between neck and bridge. This sucks because they make a big deal about being able to use the quick connect cables, but don't supply them. I quess they are suggesting that if you have a guitar with EMGs you can quickly swap them out for these (but not at 18v, they can't be run on 18v, only 9v.) Now they don't tell you they supply them with the pickups, but if you've ever purchased EMGs, you'd expect them to be in the box. At least I did.
                  For all the money they spent on the nice plastic box that I'll probably never use again, they could easily have included the quick connect cables.

Nuff about that- I love these pickups

Comment

The other guitar player in my band has a X2N in an Ibanez and it screams. I have wanting install one in one of my guitars.
                    Just one more guitar!

Comment

Originally posted by memphiskat View Post
                      I eventually went with the SD Blackouts. I put them in the standard bridge/neck position- 81 style in the bridge and 85 in the neck. I like them very much. They are very similar to the EMG81/85s. I think if you hate those pickups, you'll hate these, but if you like them you'll also like these. They seem hotter/louder than the EMGs. Are they quieter? Hard to tell, becuase I always thought the EMGs where quiet compared to passives. I've been playing this guitar a lot, for a while now, and feel no reason to change out theese pickups. They seem very versitile. Played through my PODxt they sound great and can handle any style/sound. Also played through my Randall RG75 solid state amp they sound great, with and without pedals. Same for my Micro Cube. I don't have a traditional tube amp so I can't vouch for them in that situation.

My only dissapiontment was that they DO NOT come with the quick connect
                      cables like the EMG's do. They have the multi prong connector on the back, but also have a long length of connecting cable permanently connected to the back like most other pickups. You'll have to buy the quick connect cables if you want to be able to swap them out with EMGs or switch between neck and bridge. This sucks because they make a big deal about being able to use the quick connect cables, but don't supply them. I quess they are suggesting that if you have a guitar with EMGs you can quickly swap them out for these (but not at 18v, they can't be run on 18v, only 9v.) Now they don't tell you they supply them with the pickups, but if you've ever purchased EMGs, you'd expect them to be in the box. At least I did.
                      For all the money they spent on the nice plastic box that I'll probably never use again, they could easily have included the quick connect cables.

Nuff about that- I love these pickups
                      Didn't know they did not come with quick connect cables. I don't think that should be a problem for me, because I'm just swapping them out from my EMG equipped guitars.

Comment

I like the Duncan Custom SH-5

Comment

The guitar im putting it in is mahogany not alder
                          KENT ARMSTRONG ULTRA DIST'S!!!! Matched set bridge/neck, and you're on the way to beefy tone heaven!!

Those are the LOUDEST good sounding passive fuckers you'll ever find on the market.
                          "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                          The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

I enjoy a Distortion in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck.

Comment

For straight up metal, I find the EMG 81 at 18v impossible to beat. But if you're looking for a cool change, I suggest Dimarzio Evolutions. I have 'em in my TBK Warrior and love them. To me, they sound very 'proggy' if you get my drift. Lots of balls, but clear and smooth also. The Dimebucker and X2N were a bit too bright for my taste.
                              I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

Comment

try a dimarzio super distortion 3, have one in my charvel 475 and it nails pantera to anything else.

Comment

Working...
                                X