How to tell if you have a REAL Floyd or a Ping Licensed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to tell if you have a REAL Floyd or a Ping Licensed

There has been a lot of controversy about wether certain Jacksons have REAL floyds or the Licensed "Ping" Floyd Rose. Easy way to tell ... click the link below, it will bring you to some pics of a Ping. If your Floyd is all silver, its a real Floyd. If it is silver and brass ... IT'S A PING!

Pings have a brass saddle and trem arm barrel, there is a little "P" buy the trem arm, and SOME say licensed by Floyd Rose even though they all have the Floyd Logo.

Click here to see what I mean.

http://www.axcessories.com/proddetai...prod=axfrpingc

ALL the RR24 bridges have a silver saddle and barrel. Also look at the edges that rest on the posts = brass!

Rant over. I apologize.

Good posting.

Comment

What about that strange logo by the bar. So is the Ping a piece of shit? It looks decent. I also noticed it has a short block.
      Just one more guitar!

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
          What about that strange logo by the bar. So is the Ping a piece of shit? It looks decent. I also noticed it has a short block.
          I have read some older reviews (2005) that said the Speedloader trems, which were the first ones Ping made, had parts that rusted easily. I can't speak as to the validity of that claim. For $139 - $149 it better not be a piece of shit!!! I am going to assume that since these are the ONLY licensed Floyds on the market that carry the Floyd Rose logo on them they would have to meet some type of standard from the man himself.

Black Version of Ping Floyd (shows the little "P" logo by the trem are better):

I'd probably just pay the extra $20 bucks for the actual Floyd though.

Originally posted by KBRR View Post
          Thanks for the help!
          No problem.
          Last edited by JerEvil; 08-19-2007, 10:52 AM.

Comment

I saw OPL wolfgang copy at a pawn shop and the saddles looked awful. They were completely tarnished to the point I couldn't tell if they were chrome or black. They wanted $199 for it. Other than the Floyd the guitar was in great shape.
            Just one more guitar!

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
              I saw OPL wolfgang copy at a pawn shop and the saddles looked awful. They were completely tarnished to the point I couldn't tell if they were chrome or black. They wanted $199 for it. Other than the Floyd the guitar was in great shape.
              Who was the bridge made by?

Comment

A real Floyd block is also brass... it's just steel plated.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by JerEvil View Post
                  Also look at the edges that rest on the posts = brass!
                  No way. I think it's a reflection. Look at the second shot. Following your logic, the back side of the fine tuner rail should then be brass too.

Henrik
                  AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    A real Floyd block is also brass... it's just steel plated.
                    The block on the RR24 trem is steel plated also, whether or not it is brass. The Pings are not.

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
                      No way. I think it's a reflection. Look at the second shot. Following your logic, the back side of the fine tuner rail should then be brass too.

Possible. However, no reflection is gonna change all sides of the block or trem arm barrel.

Comment

I only commented on this, where you say that the knife edges are brass:

Originally posted by JerEvil View Post
                        Also look at the edges that rest on the posts = brass!
                        Henrik
                        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
                          I only commented on this, where you say that the knife edges are brass:
                          As I replied, that is entirely possible. However there is not denying there are obvious signs that a Ping Floyd has the P logo and licensed by floyd rose stamp in front of the fine tuners. Also, if in fact anyone has used/owned a ping, was it sub par??

Comment

If you tap the trem and it goes "Pinnnnnnnnng", then you have a Ping. If you tap it and it goes "Pong" then you have an OFR.
                            The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctuary View Post
                              If you tap the trem and it goes "Pinnnnnnnnng", then you have a Ping. If you tap it and it goes "Pong" then you have an OFR.
                              Irrefutable Scientific Proof! Case Dismissed! By the way, is that a BC Rich Eagle in your avatar???

Comment

Working...
                              X