Last upgrade to my DK2 for now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last upgrade to my DK2 for now...

It's been a while since I've been in this area of JCF... been hanging out in the amp section for quite a while now. Anyway... I just finished the last of the upgrades to my DK2 today that I've planned for now, a custom wiring job with a 5 way super switch. The only thing left that I might upgrade is replacing the JT580LP trem with a Schaller. Here's what I've done over the last few months:

- replaced the Duncan Designed single coils with Seymour Duncan SSL-6 Custom Flat (neck) and SSL-2 Vintage (middle) singles, middle is RW/RP. The bridge is an SD PATB-3 Blues Saraceno (replaced earlier).

- replaced the trem pivot studs, body bushings and arm with Schaller parts

- replaced the chrome knobs with black speed knobs

- installed Schaller strap locks

- installed CTS 500k audio taper pots, switchcraft jack and 5-way super switch with custom wiring. The switching works like this:

1. bridge humbucker
    2. bridge upper coil (split) + middle
    3. bridge lower coil (split) + neck
    4. middle + neck
    5. neck

It sounds really amazing now. Here are a few pics, note these were actually taken a few months ago before everything was completed.

My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

You could go the full hog and replace the chrome bridge and tuners with black ones. Either way, nice guitar.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
      You could go the full hog and replace the chrome bridge and tuners with black ones. Either way, nice guitar.
      Well, I gotta say with the EDS color, I prefer the chrome hardware. Before I picked up the guitar, I was actually planning to switch it to black hardware. But I have grown to like the chrome. Besides, chrome is the new black!

My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Comment

Can you compare the PATB-3 to any other Duncans, or any of the PAs for that matter? I have a single-spaced PA Tremstack in the neck position of a Hamer Californian, but that hasn't been much help in forming an opinion since I don't really use the neck pickup much.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
          Can you compare the PATB-3 to any other Duncans, or any of the PAs for that matter? I have a single-spaced PA Tremstack in the neck position of a Hamer Californian, but that hasn't been much help in forming an opinion since I don't really use the neck pickup much.
          Damn... not really. The only other Duncans I currently own and have used recently are the SSL-2 and SSL-6 single coils, which are in the same guitar. I "knew" I wanted a PA, but the other PA models were too hot and too distorted for my needs. I wanted something not too hot (mid output?) that could clean up and would also have a nice thick chunk when cranked. It's got great harmonics too. I don't think it sounds much like any other Duncan that I've heard. It is a very versatile bridge pup. I've not regretted buying it.

I also have a brand new Duncan custom shop Crazy 8 PA trembucker that I got this summer. Hand wound by Maricela herself and signed by Seymour. I'm holding on to it for something special... that I don't have yet. Probably will go into an alder bodied Jackson of course. It's a pretty hot winding (13.5k) with an alnico 8 magnet. It should be very aggressive, definitely hotter than the normal PA 'buckers. Here are pics of the siggy on the bottom and also the top.

Comment

It looks like you did a great job on the electronics. Now replace that bridge with an OFR! The difference between the stock bridge and an OFR is night and day.
            ------------------------------------------------
            Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
            X