Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not sure what this one is, but it's nice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure what this one is, but it's nice!

Hello all,

I've been reading a lot of the threads over the last several weeks, trying to bone up on all the different Jackson/Charvel models, with the intent of figuring out what I had bought. Well, I've given up, and I am looking for any words of wisdom any of you are willing to throw my way.

This is my 1st post, and I'm not sure this is even the right thread to start this in, but it does say Jackson, so here goes.

Here are a couple of images of what I have.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee83/gtracer63/JacksonBody.jpg
    http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee83/gtracer63/JacksonBack.jpg
    http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee83/gtracer63/JacksonHeadstock.jpg

And here is what I know:

2 piece body in Trans Amber
    24 fret Ebony fretboard with pearl sharkfin inlays and pearl Logo
    Jackson black tuners
    Charvel neck plate (372464)
    Charvel-Schaller tremolo
    5-way blade

There are no holes in the headstock to mount a trussrod plate/cover, and before I took it to get setup, I pulled the neck and pickups, and found:

Body stamp = FU-PL No-3
    Neck stamp = F US
    Neck p/u = Charvel J90C 10-2
    Bridge p/u = Charvel J90C 10.8

Based on info from other threads, the pickup backs looked like they were US made. Also, when I pulled the neck screws, the two on the high E side were longer than the two on the low E side. Is this normal?

I'm not sure how to tell if it had ever been apart before, but sawdust came out of all the neck holes when I removed the screws, and it didn't look like it had ever been apart before.

Anyway, I've looked through all the pictures, and I've not seen another one like it. I have seen the neck, but not the body.

So, what did I buy?

GTRacer

Last edited by GTRacer; 09-18-2007, 07:14 PM.

It's a jap..
    My bands page: www.myspace.com/wartexmetal

Comment

Fusion PRO

Comment

the Fusion PRO was h-s-s

looks like a mutt to me: Fusion PRO neck, Fusion Plus body, Charvel plate?!, and a couple of Model series pickups

at a guess...
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
          the Fusion PRO was h-s-s

looks like a mutt to me: Fusion PRO neck, Fusion Plus body, Charvel plate?!, and a couple of Model series pickups

at a guess...
          I seem to agree with this. Also, you need to adjust the tension on the springs for trem Looks cool though.

Comment

Yeah, as soon as I saw the charvel plate, mutt came to mind. Still very nice though.

Comment

That's sure a "rosewood-y" lookin' fretboard there!

Here's what a Fusion Pro fb looks like

Welcome, local newb with the similar name!
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

OK....My guess is:

Neck: Jackson Fusion XL Circa 1993

Body, Trem, Neckplate: Charvel Fusion Plus Circa 1990-91

Pickups: Somewhere else because according to the 1990-91 catalog Charvel Fusion Plus came with J80 and J50, and Fusion XL had a S-S-H pickup configuration and its humbucker was a J-85
                Last edited by Mr Metal; 09-15-2007, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input!

I did some more checking based on the comments, and it appears that it is some sort of mutt or hybrid Fusion Plus. I'm not sure if it was a 1991 Charvel, or a 1992 Jackson.

Any thoughts on the neck never being drilled for a truss rod plate? I've only seen some pro's guitars setup that way.

Also, do all the Jackson's use longer neck screws on the higher tension side (high E)?

Thanks again!

Comment

All Japanese Jackson production necks have truss rod covers on them.......So yes, this would be odd...............This could be a pre-production neck (won't necessarily make it any worse or better than a production neck though). Kevin Easton used to sell preproduction necks................

Regarding the screws, usually the two longer screws go in the two holes that are closer to the body, and the two shorter screws go in the two holes that are closer to the neck. This is because of the contoured heel on these Jackson guitar bodies...........Maybe somebody used one of the shorter screws in the wrong spot? I see no good reason to place the longer screws on one side of the neck.......

Based on all these peculiarities that you are finding, it might as well could be that this guitar was put together from pre-production parts sitting at Jackson......Again, does it make it better and more valuable? Probably not, but who knows????

Comment

Mr Metal, thanks again for the quick insight.

In spite of all the peculiarities with this one, was $200 still an OK price to pay for my 1st Jackson/Charvel?

GTRacer

Comment

You're very welcome! IMHO $200 is pretty good since all the parts are very high quality parts! I think the way to look at it is this: Are you happy with the way it feels and plays? If yes, then it's worth it!

Comment

Working...
                        X