Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are bolt-on Kellys so inexpensive (used)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are bolt-on Kellys so inexpensive (used)?

Am I missing something? I have always kind of liked the Kellys, but never pulled the trigger on one. With the quality of the imports being pretty good, I have been looking around. It seems that bolt-on Kellys just have terrible resale values (which is a plus since I'm thinking of buying one).

Is there any good reason for this that I'm unaware of? Do they suffer from a problem, or is it primarily perception, or something else entirely?

They certainly look like steals on paper - what am I missing?

Thanks.
    Last edited by tolstoi; 09-15-2007, 11:31 AM. Reason: ...added parentheses. :-)

Your not missing anything. All bolt on Kellys are imports. They sell rather inexpensively new. So that translates to even less expensivley used.
    Gil

Comment

There a couple problems that immediately spring to mind:

#1 Neck dive. Check the search function to see the extent of - and solutions for - this problem.

#2 If you have a bit of a spare tire on your stomach (or a lot ) the Kelly hangs in such a way that the top of the guitar angles away from you (points toward the floor). This is the main reason I sold my Kelly XL.
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I love mine, but as you already know, I got it for cheap ($195 shipped). Sold the hardware and neck, and got black hardware and a DK-1 neck for it. I love blacked out Kelly's (Ron would want me to spell this as Kellies, but it just doesn't look right ).

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
          ...If you have a bit of a spare tire on your stomach ...
          I have spent years building this gut! I guess I'll have to try one out to see if I can handle it. I think the imports are easy enough to find locally.

I'll start reading about the neck dive.

Thanks.

Comment

KE3's are by no means cheap over here, nor is anyone willing to let one go for less than 3/4 of the original price on ebay.co.uk whether it be mint or damaged. However, take one to a shop, be lucky to get half the value in credit against another guitar, and they'll sell it as new. Only the original buyer will know the truth. I paid £379 for my 2006 KE3, got £220 credit, but then they charged £350. It sold. This is the same KE3 I modded (forward strap button through the neckplate) .I wanted to buy it back but didn't get there fast enough.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              I love blacked out Kelly's (Ron would want me to
              ...spell it without the apostrophe

Kellys

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
              X