DK2M bought and sort of returned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK2M bought and sort of returned

I took the plunge just over a week ago and snagged a snow white DK2M at a local GC. Knowing how guitars get abused at GC and seeing how sorry the DK2M's on the wall looked, I was given a guitar fresh out of the shipping box. And I know that was the case because I helped to unbox it.

After getting the guitar home, I pulled the neck to insert a little shim to true up the neck in the pocket. After that, I removed the trem cover in order to re-float the bridge because I was putting on .010-046 strings and lowering the bridge a bit.

While working on the trem, I noted a split in the wood. The split was on the wood that sits between the stud insert and the trem block. It wasn't a complete top-to-bottom split but it was about 3/4" from being so. I initially applied some super glue and thought that might hold it. But after a little more thought, I decided to get a new guitar.

So yesterday, I drove to GC and asked for a replacement guitar. The sales guy checked and the only DK2M's they had in stock were hanging on the wall. Given how beat those are, I asked them to order a new one in and was told it would be about 4 weeks.

Have any of you guys had a crack or split on your DK2M's? I thought that what I encountered was probably an uncommon problem. But you can bet I'll check the next one for it now.

By the way, I did play the guitar for a while and I must say that I really liked it. I wasn't certain about the Duncans but I'm liking those pretty well.
    Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

I've never noticed any flaws on my DK2M, but I am never surprised to read about problems like yours. I don't know if they "handle with care" in the GC warehouse or have a controlled climate there, but heat and humidity combined with the stress of strings and springs certainly are factors. I don't know if the imports ship in cases - mine did, but that was ordered with OHSC from Matt's Music - so there's no telling how they are treated in transit.

You certainly were right to return it, although I would bet that 90% of GC customers would never have noticed.
    sigpic

Comment

Gluing a small metal plate behind that area solves/prevents the problem, and should imo be the normal way to build floyd equipped guitars.
      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
      The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
        I've never noticed any flaws on my DK2M, but I am never surprised to read about problems like yours. I don't know if they "handle with care" in the GC warehouse or have a controlled climate there, but heat and humidity combined with the stress of strings and springs certainly are factors. I don't know if the imports ship in cases - mine did, but that was ordered with OHSC from Matt's Music - so there's no telling how they are treated in transit.

You certainly were right to return it, although I would bet that 90% of GC customers would never have noticed.
        I don't think most of the GC crowd would have noticed the problem either. Funnily enough, the "guitar manager" I spoke with when I returned the guitar didn't seem to think that a crack in the wood was that big of a deal and perhaps I might want to just keep it. I politely let him know that I wasn't willing to see if the split would let loose at a later date.

As for how the guitars ship, they are in a cardboard carton and wrapped in fairly thick plastic. The one I got seemed to be in very good shape on the outside and even arrived fairly close to being in tune.

I really did think about buying from Matt but I wanted to be able to see the guitar in person before plunking down cash. Maybe someday I'll get a guitar from Matt.

Comment

The only anomoly I had on my DK2M was the toggle switch was bent. Frankly, I'm amazed how these guitars survive with nothing more than a cardboard box and plastic/polystyrene cover...
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I'm surprised GC ships them in the big box with the giant Jackson letters on it. I mean at least wrap with something so nobody knows what is in it when UPS leaves it on your front doorstep.
            Jackson KV2
            Jackson KE1T
            Jackson KE1F
            Jackson SL1

Comment

I used to work in shipping/rcving at a local GC. Yes, the packing methods really surprised me too. Guess what ship method? UPS Ground

FYI I always treated incoming axes with the utmost of care. I gave Jacksons "special attention".
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Why on earth would a brand new guitar require a neck shim?
                To me, that is poor quality control.
                My Duncan Designed pickups are way better than Seymour Duncan regular pickups you fanboy.

Yeah...too bad the forum doesn't have a minimum IQ.

Comment

Originally posted by goodwood View Post
                  I don't think they have the same standards with imports as they do with USA jacksons. Sometimes cheaper price equals cheaper quality. I may just trade up or sell my DK2M for a USA and be done with it. All this talk is starting to scare me.
                  "Hard work is for people short on talent." -George Carlin

Comment

A lot of DK2M's seem to have slightly mis-cut neck pockets. The one I got was easily the closest to correct of the 4 or 5 I saw at my local GC. The shim I put in was pretty mild - just small part of a business card. Afterwards, the neck angle was great and the action was easily to dial in. I wish the DK2M had been as perfectly built as either of my Groshes but the DK2M was a fair bit less expensive.

But look on the bright side, at least you get real Duncans with the DK2M and not "Duncan Designed" anymore.

Comment

OK, now knowing that the DK2M neck pocket shouldn`t be like it is on alot of them. Shouldn`t Jackson address this and fix it? It seams like the right thing to do.

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Holy Diver View Post
                        I don't think they have the same standards with imports as they do with USA jacksons. Sometimes cheaper price equals cheaper quality. I may just trade up or sell my DK2M for a USA and be done with it. All this talk is starting to scare me.
                        Japanese manufacturing operations are capable of making the neck pocket identical EVERY TIME. They are also capable of making the neck identical every time. If there is a problem it should be fixed and there would be no more questionable neck pockets. The cheaper price is supposed to be about the wages/expenses not the quality control.
                        My Duncan Designed pickups are way better than Seymour Duncan regular pickups you fanboy.

Yeah...too bad the forum doesn't have a minimum IQ.

Comment

Japanese manufacturing operations are capable of making the neck pocket identical EVERY TIME. They are also capable of making the neck identical every time. If there is a problem it should be fixed and there would be no more questionable neck pockets. The cheaper price is supposed to be about the wages/expenses not the quality control.
                          Supposed to be.
                          "Hard work is for people short on talent." -George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                          X