Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson COW6 VS SLSMG?

First Post

Ok, so I love both but i dont know which would be better for what I play, I play almost all low (bottom 4 strings) Tuned anywhere from standard E to drop B. With anything from The Beatles, to The Black Dahlia Murder. I heard you have to oil ebony a lot or it will crack? Anyways, the SLSMG and COW6 seem to be almost exactly the same guitar minus the neck thru-ness and the pickups. I never use the bridge pickup anyway.

EDIT: VS WR1, Looks nice, seems to have darned good quality, only problem is narsty pickups and floyd rose, please talk me out of it!

money isnt really a problem either... <_<

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by builtforsin; 10-09-2007, 06:06 PM.

you never use the bridge pickup? thats a shame cuz cow only has a bridge pickup, hehe. im assuming you meant neck pickup.

theyre both made of the same wood, both have emg81 in the bridge, same type of inlays, id say the only major difference is the look (slsmg doesnt have the badass jackson headstock) also the cow6 has the green paintjob (looks like a toy imo).
    the neckthru probably wouldnt mean too much for you since from what i understand you play really low.

and welcome to the boards =D
    if it's too fast, you're too old
    see ya!

Comment

I'd get that COW in glosseh black thanks for the welcomage
      Last edited by builtforsin; 10-09-2007, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by murk View Post
        same type of inlays
        No inlays on the COW.

the neckthru probably wouldnt mean too much for you since from what i understand you play really low.
        The combination of the different headstock shape and different neck joint might make for slightly different balance. Also, getting the SLSMG in satin black would also mean a satin neck finish, as opposed to glossy neck finish on the COW.
        sigpic

Comment

Right, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by murk View Post
            also the cow6 has the green paintjob (looks like a toy imo).
            Umm, there is a black version besides the green camo version.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

we know

Comment

I didn't like the sound of the SLSMG, no matter what pickup I put in it..I couldn't get it to sound right. It had that boomy bassy tone to it..with a bit of mud. The COW in my opinion was much better and was cheaper as well. You do have to oil the ebony board more so than rosewood..avg. of maybe 3-4 times per year..which isn't so bad as I clean my guitar and change strings more than that.

Comment

i have the same problem with kb rhoads. it sounds muddy and bassy. but i use it when we play drop tuned things.it is a real monster when drop tuned.still a bit mudy but very solid concrete like rythm sound.

Comment

Have had jb/dimbucker/duncan distortion in my slsmg, no mud here! Nice articulate bass aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by minh80 View Post
                      I didn't like the sound of the SLSMG, no matter what pickup I put in it..I couldn't get it to sound right. It had that boomy bassy tone to it..with a bit of mud. The COW in my opinion was much better and was cheaper as well. You do have to oil the ebony board more so than rosewood..avg. of maybe 3-4 times per year..which isn't so bad as I clean my guitar and change strings more than that.
                      I had a COW, didn't like it. I bought a SLSMG to replace it and sold the COW as fast as I could, which wasn't very fast, because it only has one bridge pickup.
                      With the factory EMG 81/85 set in my SLSMG it never got muddy even tuned to Ab standard. With Seymour Duncan Blackouts, it does get a little muddy in really low tunings but that is because the pickups have more low mids and bass than the EMGs do but I'll still tune it to Ab every now and then because it still sounds great, but I don't do that as much now that I have a 7 string COW again.
                      Playability wise, versatility wise, and resale wise, the SLSMG is a way better guitar.

Comment

Working...
                      X